stalling calls eppert vs wright

hbmcgee

although i was pulling for wright, it was a tough call about the stalling calls. on one hand, it is an advantage to the guy on the bottom to get to restart.  but on the other hand, if a wrestler is coming up and out and you put a leg in, its an easy way to get back in control. it was a great match between two great wrestlers and this year, it was eppert's turn.

As an impartial observer, I thought Eppert already the legs in the first two times Wright stood up  (Wright should have received a caution on the first, and  Eppert given a point on the second). The third time it happened, Eppert didn't put the legs in until Wright was already up (and he should have been cautioned). The fourth time, Eppert had the legs in and should have been awarded another point.

The stalling call on Eppert was not a good one, the ankle he grabbed was the only thing he could to try to maintain control at the time. He wasn't constantly on it to kill clock. But then again, I'm no expert and certainly not a referee.

I thought the legs were used as a pinning combination so stalling isnt usually called if you keep working.  Didnt seem like the ref gave him enough time to set something up

Wasn't a matter of referee giving enough time to work. It is potentially dangerous when top man has the legs in and bottom man is standing. So, ref has to stop the action. It then becomes a matter of when legs were put in. If legs are in and bottom man continues to stand, it is stalling on bottom. If bottom man is on his way to his feet and top puts legs in, it is stalling on top man. At least that is my understanding.

As an impartial observer, I thought Eppert already the legs in the first two times Wright stood up  (Wright should have received a caution on the first, and  Eppert given a point on the second). The third time it happened, Eppert didn't put the legs in until Wright was already up (and he should have been cautioned). The fourth time, Eppert had the legs in and should have been awarded another point.

The stalling call on Eppert was not a good one, the ankle he grabbed was the only thing he could to try to maintain control at the time. He wasn't constantly on it to kill clock. But then again, I'm no expert and certainly not a referee.

the first time when he stood up

he had the legs in first completly

me n my friends went crazy

when we saw the stallin call

it was insane

So what is the bottom man to do?  Is it not his job to make every effort to work for the escape?  Is it not the top man's job to work for the turn?  It was a tough call against Eppert but if you are asking my opinion, I guess I would say I agreed with the call.

So what is the bottom man to do?  Is it not his job to make every effort to work for the escape?  Is it not the top man's job to work for the turn?  It was a tough call against Eppert but if you are asking my opinion, I guess I would say I agreed with the call.

Standing up to your feet when someone has the legs in is not the best way to get an escape.  He should have done one of many leg counters.  The second stalling call was even worse than the first one.  The ref should have stalemated that a couple seconds after Camden dropped to the leg and sat him on his butt.  If the ref is good you shouldn't even notice that he is there.  So I guess that ref was borderline terrible in that match.

The second stalling call was definitely worse than the first one. The first one was questionable but not a bad call. If Eppert had flattened Wright out on the mat a few times and just laid there, it would have definitely been stalling - using the legs for riding.

Standing up to your feet when someone has the legs in is not the best way to get an escape.  He should have done one of many leg counters.  The second stalling call was even worse than the first one.  The ref should have stalemated that a couple seconds after Camden dropped to the leg and sat him on his butt.  If the ref is good you shouldn't even notice that he is there.  So I guess that ref was borderline terrible in that match.

Lefthanded headlock...I agree completely. Since ref didn't stalemate it, that gave Wright a chance to head up and out when Eppert's only recourse was to grab the ankle and he hits him with the stalling point. Which is why I made my earlier comment about Eppert not being constantly on the ankle to kill clock. It was his only chance to maintain control. Bottom line is... The wrestler that ended up with the title, absolutely deserved it. And I agree with the poster that said you could see in Eppert's eyes, he was not going to be denied.

I also caught that. Holding up 3 fingers and breaking them and shaking his head no. So was he more happy to win the title or was he more happy he beat Wright?

i think he was more happy to beat wright cuz wright and him have faced each other in the finals 3 years in a row now. and now he can say he won 2 and wright only won 1 on him.

I cant believe what I have been reading about people wanting Wright to be hit for stalling. It is the bottom wrestler's duty to work for an escape or a reversal. It is the top wrestler's responsibility to work towards a pin/nearfall. Stading up is a way to escape and therefore there is no way Wright should have cautioned or given a stalling call.

I cant believe what I have been reading about people wanting Wright to be hit for stalling. It is the bottom wrestler's duty to work for an escape or a reversal. It is the top wrestler's responsibility to work towards a pin/nearfall. Stading up is a way to escape and therefore there is no way Wright should have cautioned or given a stalling call.

Then you need to take a look at a Rules book. Go to the "Ask the officials" forum and ask them. Standing up when someone has the legs in is a way to keep from getting turned, and therefore stalling. As one poster mentioned, there are better ways to counter legs than standing up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.