Warm-Ups during face offs and pictures?

1Team1Goal

Where exactly is Pro Power High School located at?  I have nothing against Pro Power.  In fact I honestly think they are a great assest for the wrestling community.  They are a terrific company, have great products, and are a wonderful supporter.  With that being said hopefully this next comment is not taken in offense to the company, but more of a message to the coaches and schools.

What with a handful of wrestlers wearing Pro Power shirts during face offs and during finals pictures?  I'm sure one or two others wore a none wrestling related shirt but the Pro Power shirts seemed to stand out.  What the problem with showing a little school/team pride during those moments and wearing a teams warm up or t-shirt.  If you want to wear something else doing it in between matches or while preparing but not during the state finals highlight moments.  Those times should be set aside for representing your school, team and community.  I can understand a kid wearing the logo headband or something like that but the  a t-shirt of a company instead of their schools shirt is a little much.  I wont place blaim on Pro Power because I'm assuming they didn't intend for the shirts to be worn at those times.  I would think the coaches would ask their guys to wear something school related on those type of occasions vs. any type of logo t-shirt. 

On the bright side at least its not the ripped up jeans and "white-trash" tank tops some guys wear to regular season awards.

I would tend to agree with the stance that you would hope the kids would show a bit more respect for their high school.  I know the people who own and run ProPower, and I am certain they would not condone this nor did they have any part.  Honestly, I did not notice this, but I was only watching the choppy feed on ihsaasports.org, so I may have overlooked it moreso than if I would have been at Conseco tonight.  When I wrestled, I always wore my lucky t-shirt which had nothing to do with my school, but I would have never thought to line up for a faceoff or go to the awards podium without my team warmup on.  It was only worn under my warmup.  First and foremost, I represented my school. 

From what I know about wrestlers they are routine followers, ie warm up to the same song ,warm up the same way, follow the same steps, where the same clothes . So at the beginning of the season  if they wore a pro power t-shirt thats what they're going to keep wearing. As for the gentleman who hands them out ,as far as I know he only hands them out to wrestlers ,so why shouldn't they wear them to state?  They do wear their school singlet. If their coaches didn't want them to wear them I'm sure they'd say something about it.  I say who cares let them wear what they want.

Who are these coaches who allow there kids to wear whatever they want?

I once saw a kid wearing shorts of  a conference rivals team.

Can you imagine a basketball team coming out to pregame without team issued warmups? Like, say, a Chicago Bulls jacket?

Total Bush league, but still not as bad as the backpack trend 8) 8) 8)

I remember my team in the mid 90's wanting to all wear these knee high socks that thinking back, were absolutely ridiculous. Our coaching staff took a stand and did the best they could to make sure it never happened and it did not.  It is the coaches responsibility period . Represent your school kids!

When I wrestled for Yorktown we didn't have a choice on what to wear, we had to wear school issued warm-ups with team t-shirts and shorts underneath.  I always wanted to let other people know what school I was from.  And believe me if I would have ever made the state finals like that under the lights i would want to show respect to the school that helped me get there.

After reading these post it seems like there are people just looking to complain.  Sean McMurray's coaches don't have an issue with what he wears why should you?  For the posts of "back in the day when I wrestled we didn't have a choice of what we wore"  things change.  Maybe we should be looking at the positives instead, like how much self determination , will power and commitment these young men have.  ;)

Guest KoKo B-Ware

I understand that some people want to see there warm-ups up there on the podium or during the face off.  I guess if kids want to wear what they are comfortable in or feel secure in before they wrestle then so be it. 

There wasn't anything that was vulgar or wrong or disrespectful worn.  There wasn't anything that those boys did, but WIN a CHAMPIONSHIP.  Those boys deserve your respect, attention, cheers and congratulations.  NOT all of this bull-crap about why this why that, coach this coach that.  They won and worked there A$$ off all year to win this title.  And you guys want to sit here and tear them down and find the flaws, they are HIGH SCHOOL kids and don't deserve this disrespect from you guys. 

And for the basketball comment, you should be shunned from society.  Basketball has no relevance in this topic. 

Well if these guys don't have the right amount of respect and integrity then I will say it.  WAY TO GO for winning a title and doing something that you will never forget.  Some of those boys where first time champs.  There is nothing better than to see them win and the look on their faces win they do pull out a championship. 

I understand that some people want to see there warm-ups up there on the podium or during the face off.  I guess if kids want to wear what they are comfortable in or feel secure in before they wrestle then so be it. 

There wasn't anything that was vulgar or wrong or disrespectful worn.  There wasn't anything that those boys did, but WIN a CHAMPIONSHIP.  Those boys deserve your respect, attention, cheers and congratulations.  NOT all of this bull-crap about why this why that, coach this coach that.  They won and worked there A$$ off all year to win this title.  And you guys want to sit here and tear them down and find the flaws, they are HIGH SCHOOL kids and don't deserve this disrespect from you guys. 

And for the basketball comment, you should be shunned from society.  Basketball has no relevance in this topic. 

Well if these guys don't have the right amount of respect and integrity then I will say it.  WAY TO GO for winning a title and doing something that you will never forget.  Some of those boys where first time champs.  There is nothing better than to see them win and the look on their faces win they do pull out a championship. 

I Could not have said it any better !!!

Amen Mommamac.    I can tellyou one thing from first hand experience.  watching one of those boys down there getting ready to wrestle for a state championship  the last thing on my mind was why wasnt he wearing our school colors.  I do agree  for some that is what they have worn for the previous 48 matches and if we are telling them that this is one more match then they need to treat it that way.    I know what school they are from.  they know what school they are from.  and i am sure  now standing on top of the podium saturday night  there are a couple thousand people out there who know what school they are from. 

While I like to see all the different warm ups and such, this topic just goes to show that people are not happy unless they are complaining about something. It is a warm up, it is not something that is important in the grand scheme of things. These boy accomplished someting that very few of us could have done. Let them be and let them wear what they want. None of what I saw was rude, or otherwise inappropriate. They will have plenty of time to worry about conforming to societies wishes when they go into the work field. Let them have the time they have now to discover who they are and what they want to stand for.

I just got back from the Missouri State Championships, which was a great tournament, and the coaches over there didn't care if their wrestlers were wearing their warmups. They were more worried about how they wrestled not how they looked. Guys like Mac Bailey, Keenan Hagerty, and Alan Waters wore what made them comfortable instead of a dumb bulky warmup.

Well, I'm probably saying adios to my cool points with this one  :-[

What is the goal for us as a sport?  I truly believe it is to  build our numbers and have as many people involved as possible. 

I know athletes of the school I support are required to wear something with their school on it. 

Pro Power things do not bother me, but what does bother me are when we are disrespectful to our sport.  Cut off shirts, tattered ball caps, coaches who wear jeans to the state finals, are all things that make our sport look unprofessional.  I know a lot of people hate it when we compare things to basketball or other sports because "we are the baddest, toughest people in the world."  But if we want to start being treated in the same manner that those sports are treated, then we need to start showing a little respect to our own sport. 

And maybe this shouldn't be under this topic, but bashing other sports constantly is no way to build our sport or our programs.  If you want to build something, you need community support, and you can't expect to get that buy always tearing something else down just because it isn't as hard as our sport. 

And I'll get off my soapbox.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.