MATCH OF THE YEAR

jacobmudd

maybe complaining was the wrong word to use... but he kinda held is arms out and had this look toward the ref that said "i wasn't pinned" atleast that is what it looked like on the live stream

They showed a replay on the big screen in slow motion and it didn't look to me like he was pinned.  His shoulder was almost on top of Young.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoulder up, scapula down?

I guess i would hold my hands out as well and say, What the heck just happened? Kudos to Gavin, as he almost pulled it off. He was definately the underdog going in.

He was a big underdog. I don't think anyone thought he would even make it that far let alone almost pin Young to win it all.

Shoulder up, scapula down?

I guess i would hold my hands out as well and say, What the heck just happened? Kudos to Gavin, as he almost pulled it off. He was definately the underdog going in.

Gavin refs his own matches calls for escape, calls for Falls did you see his match with Jones in the Semis he called the full nelson before the ref did.

Duckworth pointed out the locked hands in his match with Grimes also.  He looked at the locked hands, then the ref, an his facial expression was like " are you seeing this?"  This was during one of the few moments the webcast was streaming, and not buffering or chopping. 

I think alot of the Friday nite matches were pretty tough.  The kids know the whole week who there going up against, whole week to get rested, prepared for and all pumped up for.  I'm not saying they can't do that for the other matches, but the first one is a must have to advance to Saturday.  This is why Friday nite is pretty exciting, kids pulling out all the stops, putting it all on the line.  Some higher seeded kids seemed to wrestling more tentative than normal, lower seeds seemed to be more all out.  Phillips appeared to pick up the pace each an every match tho, but I agree, Hall gave him the best match.

"He did not complain whatsover... disappointed, yes, but he handled himself very well, as all Cathedral wrestlers do whether they win or lose. Good luck next Saturday!"

I'm sorry. The Cathedral wrestlers may not have complained while on the mat, but every single one of the them, except McGinley, held their posters with their middle finger sticking out.  How disrespectful!!  I hate that the family of the other top 8 finishers have to have a picture of their loved one's accomplishment with the Cathedral wrestler flipping everyone off just because they didn't finish where they wanted.

And the poor 119 pounders have a nice picture of Brandon Wright flipping everyone off with BOTH middle fingers.  Disgusting.....

"He did not complain whatsover... disappointed, yes, but he handled himself very well, as all Cathedral wrestlers do whether they win or lose. Good luck next Saturday!"

I'm sorry. The Cathedral wrestlers may not have complained while on the mat, but every single one of the them, except McGinley, held their posters with their middle finger sticking out.  How disrespectful!!  I hate that the family of the other top 8 finishers have to have a picture of their loved one's accomplishment with the Cathedral wrestler flipping everyone off just because they didn't finish where they wanted.

And the poor 119 pounders have a nice picture of Brandon Wright flipping everyone off with BOTH middle fingers.  Disgusting.....

Photo shop it.

Or, as they would say on the MMA forum I visit frequently source or GTFO! I dont think Im crossing any line by saying that......

Photo shop it.

I mean i know he was shocked.... but what was mcginley complaining about on that pin call..... you couldn't have slid a piece of paper underneath either of those shoulders...... they were both planted firmly on the mat

if you watched the replay mcginley's left shoulder was on top young's chest...it showed it three times on the big screen.  i would have complained too

In regards to the Wright/ Eppert match:

I do not understand why a wrestler who is forcing the action by putting in legs and trying to turn his opponent is hit for stalling when his opponent makes no attempt to counter his action.  Eppert was putting legs in so he could work for a turn.  Wright was standing up so he wouldn't be able to get turned.  Wright would know that standing up would create a potentially dangerous situation, therefore, Wright should have been the one hit for stalling. 

I do not blame Wright for standing up; the referee was clearly not going to hit him for stalling.  Wright was wrestling smart.  I do get really frustrated with the way referees officiate leg riding.  It seems like this is the only move in wrestling that officials do not require wrestlers to counter.  For the most part, if a wrestler puts legs in it is because he is trying to turn his opponent.  If the bottom man is not attempting to counter the legs, then it is easy for him to stall his way to a stalemate.  I hate this.  I rode legs all the time, so I am extremely biased...however, I feel that I am also extremely correct.

Propaganda possibility:  Should legs riders start calling it "Throwing Legs" instead of "Riding Legs?"  Everybody loves to watch "throwers."  Nobody likes to watch "riders."

Where are these pictures? If what you are claiming is true, then that is disgraceful. However,  I am not inclined to believe it unless I see pictures.

I agree with jcook about the Wright/Eppert match. Eppert was using his legs so that he could work to a turn. He should not have been hit with any stallings, it would be different though if Eppert had threw into his legs and just sat there. But, I don't blame Wright for trying to stand up when Eppert put in his legs.

Where are these pictures? If what you are claiming is true, then that is disgraceful. However,  I am not inclined to believe it unless I see pictures.

KKL doesnt think that anyone would grab with their index and thumb. Oh my, how could they?!?!

The entire Wright vs Eppert match.  And series of matches over the last few years for that matter.

yes, seeing potentially dangerous after potentially dangerous for a whole period is extremely exciting. The match was not overly exciting, and there was not a ton of action in that match. Infact, I would be willing to say there was more action in the 285 match than their match

Something should be done about that rule. Not say the potentially dangerous is wrong, but every kid in the state knows if a leg rider is working their offense and they stand up then it stops. Not really fair to the top wrestler.  I didn't like that Eppert gets called for stalling because Wright stands up.  If the top wrestler jumps on top of a guy it understandable but if the top man has his legs in before the other guy stands up, it shouldn't be stalling on the top man.

Just my thought

"Not really fair to the top wrestler."  WHAO  WHAO  WHAO  WHAT!?!  Here is a clue..you have to have a match between stretch armstrong versus plastic man to secure a fall with the legs in.  If the top wrestler is not advancing his position beyond that of a kid on a penny pony at Wal Mart...it is most certainly stalling.  The absolute best thing they could do (which they won't) would be to allow the match to continue once they are on their feet and now the bottom wrestler can drop his hip in the the tick on his back and they can get back to wrestling.

At least when a guy os stalling on his feet, he is always at risk of being taken down despite how fast he runs.  But allowing a guy to sink in the legs and ride is the best way to absolutley kill any chance of anything happening.  At any point the top man has the option to release the legs and advance his postion (standing or not)....by insisting to keep the legs in, he is stalling...and the rules encourage it by putting the bottom man back on the mat!!  Best suggestion I heard was give the 1 pt. escape and go back to neutral if a guy refuses to pull the leg out once the bottom man has gotten to his feet.  At least that encourages the monkey on his back to attempt to keep him on the mat.

Just my opinion.  ;D

That really is a punk move on their part.  You can't even claim it is the natural or comfortable way to hold it.  Everyone else has their whole hands on it.  Really lost respect for them.

Did you lose some respect for the seventh placer at 125? My guess is you never had any respect for them in the first place.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.