Class Wrestling?????

devildog47959

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'll just tell my kids to quit since they aren't hard workers.  Lets just tell 75% of the small school athletes to quit wrestling because they aren't working hard enough

I am not sure if your aim is off or you just can't shoot.  What you are saying is if "your" kids are not going to state and winning medals then the time they spend is not worth it. Nothing could be further from the truth.  Nothing personal but I am glad you are not coaching my son with comments like this.  High school sports, but especially wrestling is about teaching the value of hard work and dedication, growing as a person, handling your self in success as well as defeat.  It is about getting better, setting "obtainable" goals and working toward those goals. Sucess lies in the journey, not the outcome.  

I can say this because my son had some goals in his wrestling career.  He never reached all those goals but has he looks back wrestling made him a better person, it made him see what he could accomplish if he was dedicated and put in some self sacrifice.  Like I said he never reached all of thos goals but wrestling helped him grow and mature and that my friend is something worth while.  So you should never take the approach like your statement above.  

I guess I'll just tell my kids to quit since they aren't hard workers.  Lets just tell 75% of the small school athletes to quit wrestling because they aren't working hard enough

I am not sure if your aim is off or you just can't shoot.  What you are saying is if "your" kids are not going to state and winning medals then the time they spend is not worth it. Nothing could be further from the truth.  Nothing personal but I am glad you are not coaching my son with comments like this.  High school sports, but especially wrestling is about teaching the value of hard work and dedication, growing as a person, handling your self in success as well as defeat.  It is about getting better, setting "obtainable" goals and working toward those goals. Sucess lies in the journey, not the outcome.  

I can say this because my son had some goals in his wrestling career.  He never reached all those goals but has he looks back wrestling made him a better person, it made him see what he could accomplish if he was dedicated and put in some self sacrifice.  Like I said he never reached all of thos goals but wrestling helped him grow and mature and that my friend is something worth while.  So you should never take the approach like your statement above.  

Well said, you learn how hard you have to work for something you want that bad.  When your applying for medical school or vet school there are only so many spots no matter what excuse you have.  Thats life

You said work harder and that will bring more success right?

Should I quit my full time job that pays my bills so the kids can have a better chance at success because we obviously aren't working hard enough.  Come to the practice room at Garrett and I dare you to tell my kids they aren't working hard.  Tell the coaches they aren't working hard too while you're at it.

Telling people to just work hard is an easy escape from reality, when you know that the kids work hard and give it their all no matter the size of the school.    

if you haven't  really been at the small school level you dont know how it feels to go against bigger schools.

my son is a senior this year and did a hell of a job and very proud of him,but i know he could have done better specially threw the year making him better if we had lots kids were either the coaches or past graduates didn't come in these past 2 weeks for my son to wrestle.SO YES SIZE OF THE SCHOOL MATTERS!!!!!!!!!

My kids don't work hard, so I'm going to go to my AD and ask to discontinue the wrestling program due to the kids not being suited for the sport because they are lazy.

I don't know that you are the person that should decide said kids future.  (Joking or not.)

Why should we have a sport when the kids and coaches don't work hard?  Its detrimental to the kids and basically a waste of money to have a program of lazy coaches and athletes.

if you haven't  really been at the small school level you dont know how it feels to go against bigger schools.

my son is a senior this year and did a hell of a job and very proud of him,but i know he could have done better specially threw the year making him better if we had lots kids were either the coaches or past graduates didn't come in these past 2 weeks for my son to wrestle.SO YES SIZE OF THE SCHOOL MATTERS!!!!!!!!!

Disagree.

My kids don't work hard, so I'm going to go to my AD and ask to discontinue the wrestling program due to the kids not being suited for the sport because they are lazy.

I don't know that you are the person that should decide said kids future.  (Joking or not.)

Why should we have a sport when the kids and coaches don't work hard?  Its detrimental to the kids and basically a waste of money to have a program of lazy coaches and athletes.

You said it not me, you seem a tad angry.

Is it not detrimental to the kids if they have lazy ass coaches?  I guess all the small school coaches that don't get state qualifiers are lazy and probably should be fired. 

I think small schools, and large schools in the wrestling format are pretty even..... how about you?

This is getting out of control...one side keeps telling the other to work harder or just get over it and the other side keep coming up with completely blasphemous statements such as "then why not just have one weight class?" or "im going to tell my athletic director to drop the wrestling program." 

This is getting out of control...one side keeps telling the other to work harder or just get over it and the other side keep coming up with completely blasphemous statements such as "then why not just have one weight class?" or "im going to tell my athletic director to drop the wrestling program." 

I think one side is just venting though, and I am okay with that.

Is it not detrimental to the kids if they have lazy ass coaches?  I guess all the small school coaches that don't get state qualifiers are lazy and probably should be fired. 

I think small schools, and large schools in the wrestling format are pretty even..... how about you?

Obviously they aren't even as the big schools dominate small schools in dual meets and when it comes to the number of individuals that qualify for the state finals. I will just accept that most small school coaches don't work hard. Its a bitter pill to swallow, but I'll swallow he pill as there is obviously no other way to explain it.

Obviously they aren't even as the big schools dominate small schools in dual meets and when it comes to the number of individuals that qualify for the state finals.  I will just accept that most small school coaches don't work hard.  Its a bitter pill to swallow, but I'll swallow he pill as there is obviously no other way to explain it.

You know Y2, I was from a smaller school than the one you are at now.  I just don't accept your rational.  

...SO YES SIZE OF THE SCHOOL MATTERS!!!!!!!!!

Tell that to Andrew Howe, or Ethan Raley.... or many others.  Look, it is my opinion that if an individual really wants to have the success in wrestling there are many steps that can be taken within ones realm of control and not blame their school size.  

Come to the practice room at Garrett and I dare you to tell my kids they aren't working hard.  Tell the coaches they aren't working hard too while you're at it.

Y2 - I am not questioning your work ethic, not the kids and especially the coaches.  My point is that in life (or wrestling) if you feel that you are not competing at a level of your satisfaction you need to work harder. To some winning a sectional is success, to some qualifying for regional, etc... there are many different goals.  You can create 10 classes but that only means there will be 10 state champs at 140 lbs.  Not everyone will be a champ, most will never be not matter how much time  and dedication they put in.  If that is your goal then the only thing you can do is "work harder".  I believe MOST kids will agree when looking back that they can not say, "I done EVERYTHING possible to obtain my goal"  but did they do their best?  If so that is what matters.  If not, well learn, grow, and move on.

Your forgetting that the large schools have kids on JV that don't get to wrestle so don't act like the big schools have this magical advantage.  For everyone who makes it to state, their back up doesn't so small schools have the advantage that everyone gets to wrestle. I loved going to a small school

are there any small school athletes on here? if so do your feel cheated they the state forces you to wrestle kids from a big school? when i wrestled i didnt care if i was wrestling a kid from pioneer or a kid from carmel or crown point or whatever i just went out and tried my best to win, i was from a big school and i lost to the same guy from a small school 4 times last year, he was better than me, he didnt care that i was from a duneland conference school and he was from the nic or whatever he just went out and did his thing too. i beat guys from portage and lake central, i lost to guys from new prarie and jimtown...i found no differnece in the people i wrestled they all weighed about the same and all tried equally as hard

are there any small school athletes on here? if so do your feel cheated they the state forces you to wrestle kids from a big school? when i wrestled i didnt care if i was wrestling a kid from pioneer or a kid from carmel or crown point or whatever i just went out and tried my best to win, i was from a big school and i lost to the same guy from a small school 4 times last year, he was better than me, he didnt care that i was from a duneland conference school and he was from the nic or whatever he just went out and did his thing too. i beat guys from portage and lake central, i lost to guys from new prarie and jimtown...i found no differnece in the people i wrestled they all weighed about the same and all tried equally as hard

not saying my son wasn't good this year considering he won his conference,sectionals and placing 2nd in regionals,but when he is hwt  wrestler and the next kid for him to wrestle is 160 something  freshman that really isn't a good practice for the hwt now is that?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.