When do you hit a coach for a team Point

ontherise219

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He hit the mat then waived it off - it was very weird.  It was Roach's match - like he wasn't going to win anyways.

I don't think he ever hit the mat! His hand went up then never hit the mat! But that was just my observation... Probably a little biased too!

But I do want to wish the cp wrestlers luck at center grove!

And in sean mcmurrays quote from last year "the giants beat the patroits!"

Anything is possible!

i have been in the stands when a pin was taken back, and the coach did get annoyed but i think any coach would. NOT this year just to clarify so it has happened before. people make mistakes. i would guess that if an offical called a pin and then took it back he might expect to hear about it so unless the coach crossed the line nothing would happen.

I wasn't even talking about the Roach vs Santos match. But that was a little over Dramatic With Coach Rodriguez Throwing his water bottle down and both of them in the refs face. I feel they were right on that call the ref was in the act of calling a fall when Santos rolled out. I'm talking about being in the Refs face and running on the mat for every call against Merrillville and before anyone says it I did think Halsted had back points.

Just my opinion, but the Ref's lost control of the Portage-Crown point match. We knew that CP would win (it's a given that are way more talented), but they allowed Vlink & Rodriquez to come out on the mat and influence calls in a dual that they were already winning & big. I lost track of how many times the CP coaches were on the mat or at the table complaining. And in the end CP would have still won even if they would have not cried to the officials. I couldn't believe a powerhouse team like that was so "winey" over every little thing. The official's should have taken control. The results would have been the same.

Not knowing the situation, I have no way of knowing what took place to get this thread started, so I will not speak to any specifics about that. This is just an observance from past meets that I have been involved in. The fans want the opposing coach hit everytime they step to the table because he/they are whining. If it is their coach that is going to the table, they are fine with it, because the coach is fighting for their kids. Here in central Indiana, we have a few coaches that are very good at working the refs, and some that are not. Are the coaches that work the refs obnoxious, yes, do those coaches go over the line, yes, should the refs hit them with a team point, again yes,  but only if you are not part of that team would you feel this way.

Correct me if I am wrong Portage fans, but you guys had a coach that is/was famous for working the refs when you guys were sending tons of kids downstate.  Congrats CP!  However, I hope our region is well represented at state this year by all these great wrestlers.

Just my opinion, but the Ref's lost control of the Portage-Crown point match. We knew that CP would win (it's a given that are way more talented), but they allowed Vlink & Rodriquez to come out on the mat and influence calls in a dual that they were already winning & big. I lost track of how many times the CP coaches were on the mat or at the table complaining. And in the end CP would have still won even if they would have not cried to the officials. I couldn't believe a powerhouse team like that was so "winey" over every little thing. The official's should have taken control. The results would have been the same.

dAT is what a good coach does !! He gets a call for his boys  !! I tink ole Eddie and Tharp used to rattle a few ref's back in da Portage hey day !!

I think there is a big misconception about the pin and the Official slapping the mat.  When the Official slaps the mat may have very little to do with when the pin has occurred.  The pin occurs the moment the Official has determined the wrestlers shoulders have been down for 2 seconds.  At that point he should raise his hand and slap the mat.  Once the Official's hand even starts to go up he is saying that he has seen the fall.  So, if he raises his hand...the buzzers goes off, and then he slaps the mat....the pin should count.  I brought this up a couople of weeks ago when an Official slapped the mat ever so slightly after the buzzer.  he went to the table and asked the timer if his hand had hit the mat before the buzzer (which it had not).  I stopped him and asked him if he had seen the pin before his hand went up to slap the mat.  He admitted that he had...the pin counted.   I know of a few Officials who see the pin, then blow their whistle, then slap the mat.  No good Official should raise his hand in anticipation of the fall.  If an Official is doing the job right and his hand goes up it must come down.

I had to jump on this topic, being a victim to a team pt deduction at sectionals.  A coach has to argue every call that's in a weird situation or a bad call.  That's being a coach.  Also, as a coach you try to get away with as much as possible until they warn you or say something about it.  Obviously, the refs were not concerned with Vlink or Rodriguez getting too close to the mat.  You also have to realize what position the refs are in to.  That was team regionals with three big teams fighting for a spot down state.  Every call counts, that's a ton of pressure.  Can you do it?  The only time I believe you can blow up on a ref is when the ref makes bad call and doesn't want to discuss the call with you.  That is against the rules and is a very arrogant thing to do.  The coach has every right to blow up!  But back to your point, I guess it's up to the referees discretion when you cross the line.  A warning first, then misconduct call.

Yeah, it seems to me like their are some sour grapes involved here. Portage never minded it one bit when Tharp and Pendoski worked the refs. And I, not being from Portage, didn't mind it either because I figured that's what they're supposed to do. Plus, I've seen Merrillville's coaches out there a lot as well. There's nothing to these peoples' gripes. Congratulations to the Crown Point wrestlers, the coaches, and their program in general. And good luck to Merrillville and Portage the rest of the way. I'll be rooting for you as long as you're not wrestling Crown Point, of course.

I got dinged or my first team point in 18 years a few weeks ago.  I was walking on the edge of the mat after the match, broken foot in a boot, mat much softer, when I walked very slowly, of course, behind one of our coaches that was jawing the ref afterwards.  The ref had been dogged during the match by our coaches and all the other coaches that day.  I was the only one, possibly, that had not yelled at him.  As I walked behind the coach and ref, the ref screamed at me to "keep on going pal"....I was very offended at his behavior and told him not to speak to me in that manner, mind his business, and do his job.  TEAM POINT!!!!  He approached me aggressively and then deducted a team point! WRONG!  I will say though, I was surprised we didn't lose a team point during the match! LOL  I will never again break my foot, it may cost us another team point!

Can you have a team point deducted without a warning?  By the way, CP coaches only went to the table 1 time during the Portage match, and in my opinion, it was completely justified.  Should the CP coaches just sit there quietly while the refs were making horrible calls?  I would not call what they did "working the refs".  And, yes, Pendoski was famous for doing this, as is Maldonado.

Ed, Tharp and Maldonado all work(ed) the refs with class and not whining.

As for the pin in the Roach-Santos match it may have been a pin but the ref waited and it should not have been called after about 10-15 seconds ran off the clock and the period ended.

most of the bad calls were in there favor. They were all over the refs especially against Merriville and it continued when they wrestled Portage. Not taking anything away from the team. I know that working the refs is part of what the coaches are supposed to do. Just in a more professional way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.