All-State Wrestlers

BlueBolt

For the record...THIS IS NOT A CLASS WRESTLING THING!!!!

I prepose the following:

We - the members of this site - set forth on a path of recognition for those who have given us their very best over the course of the season.

I propose that we select the top 8 wrestlers in each weight class as our All-State Team.

The selection process should be (IMHO) based on their effort through out the year - not just their placement in the State Tourney.

I also have one simple request - We Make This About What Happens During The IHSAA Wrestling Season ONLY!!!!  What happens "Off Season" should not be considered...

Please mull this over and toss out your ideas! 

Let's recognize this outstanding young people!!!!!

I prepose the following:

We - the members of this site - set forth on a path of recognition for those who have given us their very best over the course of the season.

I propose that we select the top 8 wrestlers in each weight class as our All-State Team.

The selection process should be (IMHO) based on their effort through out the year - not just their placement in the State Tourney.

I also have one simple request - We Make This About What Happens During The IHSAA Wrestling Season ONLY!!!!  What happens "Off Season" should not be considered...

Sounds like a good idea. And it's propose, not prepose, I should know, I suck at spelling! ;D

I prepose the following:

Sounds like a good idea. And it's propose, not prepose, I should know, I suck at spelling! ;D

Well I suck at TYPING    LOL

I think the IHSAA already does this, on the podium @ Conseco!!!!

This is intended to recognize those who have had a great year individually...It should help bring recognition and awareness of talented kids who were not able to make it to "The Big Show" due to injury, etc. 

Obviously it will never replace the results of the finals, but it DOES give the fans in the state an option to gain recognition for kids who have worked their butts off.  That can't be a bad thing now can it?

So you are saying a state placer may not be an All-state wrestler. Sounds controversial! But that's why I like this board. But remember an opinion is exactly that, an opinion. Rankings are cool, stats are nice, but the results speak for themselves!

I think the IHSAA already does this, on the podium @ Conseco!!!!

This is intended to recognize those who have had a great year individually...It should help bring recognition and awareness of talented kids who were not able to make it to "The Big Show" due to injury, etc. 

Obviously it will never replace the results of the finals, but it DOES give the fans in the state an option to gain recognition for kids who have worked their butts off.  That can't be a bad thing now can it?

I think the true All State wrestlers are the guys that are on the podium.  I like the idea, however if we decide to do something like this we should name something different than All State.

I can see the merit. There are many wrestlers who contribute greatly to their teams, schools & communities that do not get recognition because they are not so-called "studs". You can never go wrong with promoting the sport.

I guess you could have a "great kid" team or something like that. But it wouldn't be all-state. While we all have learned the life lessons that wrestling has to teach, what you achieve is what you achieve. If you don't finish top eight, you're not all-state obviously. Although you may be a good potential recruit or future coach or referee, you are not all-state. You could have an honor roll team and take suggestions and background info/academic achievements/community service/activities etc. then have a panel pick a top twenty kids in the state for it. Regardless of where they finished in the tournament series.

It sounds to me like this is a way of rectifying the IHSAA's error in not having wrestlebacks from the ticket round at semi state. I site as an example from last season Jimmy Schoettle. He placed 3rd as a junior in 2007. Then last year he won the regional and entered the semi state with a record of 44-1 (only loss to Brandon Wright). His reward for his efforts was the chance to wrestle Camden Eppert in the round to go to state. Few would argue that Jimmy was not top 8 material, but because of how our tournament is run, he could not prove himself. If the IHSAA would allow those who know this sport and how it should be run to run it, I think there would be no need for this additional recognition.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.