Consolation Matches

royboy74

Just thought I would see if it bothered anybody else that the consolation matches are shorter.... especially in the state series.  Some of these kids get to the state series not by being great athletes or great technicians, but by being in great shape and wrestling tough for 6 minutes.  When the matches get shorter I believe that it hurts these type of kids the most and that's a shame.  I have brought it up in the past, but noone else would get on my side so I figured I would try again.

2-2-2....Thats the way it needs to be!  They are High School matches, not Jr-High!  Let the kids wrestle....1-2-2 was probably invented by some AD who wanted some Invite to end sooner, so he could clear the floor for a basketball game! 

2-2-2 or why do it at all.

I like getting the basketball court faster.  LOL. That's good and most likly true.

I know it's true.....it was even stated at a host sectional school,that's the I.H.S.A.A. Wrestling Sectional..... by the host sectional administration....that a regular season basketball game needed to start on time.....so the I.H.S.A.A. Wrestling Sectional was sped up.....now as far as the 1-2-2......I can't say that it was invented by this host school.....but this is the same cooperation that has a Jr. High Wrestling event on the same day as the I.H.S.A.A. Semi-State....I would love for my Middle school kids to go and watch our high school kids just once at semi-state.....just once, that's all I am asking....

Alright....I will just come out and say it....Jay County, I know the Coaches there would probably do things their way, the right way if they were allowed to do so......I don't want to put any blame on the Jay Co Wrestling community, they are a great group of people that takes good care of their kids and have alot of pride in their program....

I am just sick of hearing about basketball this and basketball that......ya' know I used to enjoy basketball as a spectator...I was even a huge IU fan...but they nixed Bobby Knight, and Indiana went to class basketball and it has never been the same.....so I just despise basketball all together!

It is a joke that placement matches are wrestled at a shorter time!  Many sectionals are won by the third place matches, and to have then shortened is a joke.

At the Midwest Classic last weekend they wrestled all matches the same time.  They said a new NCAA rule stated all first periods must be 3 minutes.  This made for a longer tournament, but the wrestlers deserve the time.  

some sectionals......I know last season there were different sectionals that did 1-2-2 and some did 2-2-2....I could be wrong....but I would interested to hear what all the different sectionals did last season.

I've heard two differnt sides on this argument.  One thought process is that 1-2-2 make the match move along a little faster in the consolation rounds.  The other thought process is by having it 2-2-2 you increase the chances of someone getting a pin in the first period (more time to do it), so that actually will make the consolation matches move along quicker.

Now it would be extremely hard to determine if more pins would occur in the first period of consolation (pick 2-2-2) or more matches will go the distance (pick 1-2-2), so this is probably to each his own when it come to the set up of your event.

I tend to agree that consolation matches do deserve some credit and equality too,  especially at the state level.  Because of that I'm good with 2-2-2 other than it would make for a slightly longer day than 1-2-2 if most of the went the distnace.  However, I'm sure most of us would give up an extra 30 min of time if it ment some more great wrestling action.

I've heard two differnt sides on this argument.  One thought process is that 1-2-2 make the match move along a little faster in the consolation rounds.  The other thought process is by having it 2-2-2 you increase the chances of someone getting a pin in the first period (more time to do it), so that actually will make the consolation matches move along quicker.

Now it would be extremely hard to determine if more pins would occur in the first period of consolation (pick 2-2-2) or more matches will go the distance (pick 1-2-2), so this is probably to each his own when it come to the set up of your event.

I tend to agree that consolation matches do deserve some credit and equality too,  especially at the state level.  Because of that I'm good with 2-2-2 other than it would make for a slightly longer day than 1-2-2 if most of the went the distnace.  However, I'm sure most of us would give up an extra 30 min of time if it ment some more great wrestling action.

Great point!!!!

Lets go 2-2-2...it won't add that much time and who cares if a basketball game gets delayed?

Let the basketball players wait, we always have to wait for thier practice to be over to set the gym up for us to have a match!!

Let the basketball players wait, we always have to wait for thier practice to be over to set the gym up for us to have a match!!

Not only do we have to wait till they are done with basketball practice, to set up for a wrestling match.....we have to set up!  I think the basket ball team should have to come out and pull their own darn bleachers out, set up chairs and scoring tables and so on and so on!.....Then make them put everything away after the game!  I know most wrestlers really can't enjoy a nice meal after a hard fought match prepared by the parents, like the basketball teams get to....but at least let the kids go home and relax and at least dream about a nice meal!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.