149: Metcalf (Iowa) maj. dec. Ruschell (Wisconsin) 14-5

157: Bono (Unattached) dec. Sanderson (Iowa St.) 4-2 ot

165: Morningstar (Iowa) dec. Reader (Iowa St.) 5-4 ot

174: Cannon (American) dec. Miller (Central Michigan) 3-2

184: Herbert (Northwestern) maj. dec. Keddy (Iowa) 15-1

197: Herbst (Wisconsin) dec. Varner (Iowa St.) 2-1

285: Ellis (Missouri) dec. Sheaffer (Pitt) 2-1

Wow!! What a finish by Tanelli...

He did nothing for 4 :15 seconds, and thn wrestled GREAT for 45 seconds!

Awesome takedown, and great turn.  Tanelli had a really good day tournament!

Chris Bono wrestled unattached...He is the head coach at Tennessee-Chatanooga.

I wish there were more unattached wrestlers competing like there has been in past years.  It's nice seeing members of the olympic team and so forth competing against great college wrestlers.

I wish there were more unattached wrestlers competing like there has been in past years.  It's nice seeing members of the olympic team and so forth competing against great college wrestlers.

Give this a read about letting people wrestle in this "invitational tournament"

This is copied from a Missouri message board:

"Two defending NJCAA champions Deron Winn and Aaron Senzee of St. Louis CC (Meramec) were ready to compete in the 2008 Midlands tournament when the tournament director (I am guessing it was Ken Kraft) informed the wrestler?s coach they were pulled from the tournament, and the reason being complaints from Div. 1 coaches to safeguard Div. 1 wrestlers from facing lower division athletes and from a potential loss on their resume. Deron and Aaron were training during the winter school break and were on weight and ready to go to the tournament, but all that changed Friday night (Dec 26th, 2008) with a phone call. The tournament director explained he could do this at this late hour because they (wrestlers) didn?t have a formalized written contract preventing him from this course of action. It was explained to me that Div.1 coaches pressured the director into cutting quality lower division wrestlers from the tournament to protect Div. 1 wrestlers and their ranking for the qualifying process at the end of the year. I know this for a fact, for it was my son that was cut from the 2008 Midlands for this very reason. I guess now a day?s an oral commitment is no longer binding and without a written contract all bets are off. It?s a sad day for wrestling when quality competitors are prohibited from competing to shield certain wrestlers from potential opponents.This is a change in the philosophy of (certain) coaches now that the new rules are in place. Now coaches want to cherry-pick who their wrestlers compete against and I'm afraid this is the tip of the iceberg. Why should a weak-minded coach let his higher ranked wrestler give a lower ranked wrestler a chance at beating his boy when he can put in a second string teammate or just forfeit the weight? I think the rule is a good rule?its just bringing out the worst in some bad apples. And one last comment, I am bitter because I had to cancel my trip to the tournament at the last minute!

Kirk Senzee"

thats a shame, it would be great to see kids in that level step up and get to wrestle in a tournament like this. esp ones at the level that winn is i saw him at fargo and national duals while in high school and he is a monster. woulda been nice to see how they could have done.

Some great finals matches!

I do not know who has the bigger gas tank, Metcalf or Herbert.  Wow, they are both dominant.

Varner  lost late. 

Tsirtsis match had an amazing finish.

Morningstar and Reade's match was great.  Late td forced ot.

Iowa won the championship.

Wisconsin had a good showing.

Now we get to watch some great high school wrestling tomorrow!

Purdue finished in 4th place with 82.5 points. (6 points out of 5th place)

Purdue individual placements: two 3rds, one 7th, one 8th

Indiana finished in 15th place with 37 points.

Indiana individual placements: one 8th

Results for hoosiers up to 174.

It really shows just how tough Div. 1 Wrestling can be.

All of these wrestlers were and are bonifide Indiana studs.

Galka 1-2

Fleckenstein 0-2

Kelly 5-2  Nice wrestlebacks

Hernandez 0-2  Disappointing I thought a bump up in weight would be good

Tsirtsis 4-1  Congrats Alex ....... so close.  U will be there come Nats

Walpole 1-2

Warren 1-2

Lawrence 0-2

Coughlin 2-2 

Deutsch 3-2  Nice wrestleback

Howe 4-2 

Young 3-2

Corpe 2-2

Hinton 0-2

Sorry if I missed some folks..

Thanks AJ.  I'm surprised he split with Fay. I thought he would win the rematch.

4th place as a true freshman is nothing to be ashamed of at the Midlands.

Congrats Andrew.  I know this will fuel you for Nationals.

yeah, really.  4th place at the midlands?  putting the top seed into the losers bracket?  barely losing to a guy who barely lost to the champ?  thats a good tournament!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.