WOW......Youth "Wrestler of the Week" (Updated)

wrestler60160

Starting next week, we will start our Youth "Wrestler of the Week" on IndianaMat.com. I will put out more info and the criteria on how they will be picked.  As you all know , the High School Board is BOOMING with the HS Season in full swing.  It is time for us, the future of this discussion board to start promoting the Youth side of the sport. Please post any suggestions on what you would like to see to help make IndianaMat.com more informative for you, your wrestler and your clubs. And get ready for a Great Season.

Please send your nominations to:

indianamat.com.youth@gmail.com

Name:

Club/Middle School:

Tournament:

Weeks Record:

And make sure that who you  nominate displays  good Sportsmanship on and off the mat.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the tournaments and scoring Michigan used last year 2007-08. Next to them is ones we could sub them with....that is what came to mine as I was typing,

BorderWars Spartan Classic - Indy Nationals

BorderWars Winter Nationals

Tulsa Kickoff Classic

Reno Nationals

BorderWars Nationals

Tulsa Nationals

WOW Classic Ohio

MMWA Finals - ISWA Folkstyle State

MYWAY Regionals - ISWA Freestyle State

MYWAY Finals - USAW Folkstyle Nationals

Eastern Worlds

BorderWars Monster Medal - Liberty Nationals

Reno Worlds

Ohio TOC

BorderWars Lowell Fair - Indiana TOC Quailifer Tournament

Big Horn National - Winter Nationals

Scoring:

Platinum events

Border Wars Nationals, Tulsa Kickoff, Tulsa Nationals, Reno Worlds, Liberty Nationals, Ohio TofC

1st = 16pts

2nd = 14pts

3rd = 12pts

4th = 10pts

5th = 8pts

6th = 6pts

Gold Events

Reno Nationals, WOW Classic, Eastern Worlds

1st = 10pts

2nd = 8pts

3rd = 7pts

4th = 6pts

5th = 4pts

6th = 3pts

Silver Events

MMWA Finals, MYWA Finals, MUSAW Finals, Border Wars Winter Nationals, Big Horn Nationals, Dixie Nationals,Northeast Nationals, West Coast Nationals, Jr Wolverine Invitationals

1st = 8pts

2nd = 7pts

3rd = 5pts

4th = 4pts

5th = 3pts

6th = 2pts

Bronze Events

MYWAY Regionals, MUSAW Regionals, Border Wars Spartan Classic, Monster Medal, Lowell Fair

1st = 4pt

2nd = 3pt

3rd = 2pt

4th = 1pt

I like the idea, but not real fond of the point system.  You don't have to go to a bunch of big name tourneys to be the best.  It helps you become the best, but picking up points to be ranked, just plays up to whose parent has the most money.  I don't like that.  I can tell you who the best wrestlers are in this state and I know a few who should be on this list that don't ever go out of state.  So, would we leave them off because they aren't racking up the points?  That doesn't sound fair at all.  I think what they are doing against the other in state kids should weigh heavily on this and if they are doing well on the national level that is put into play.  But, I don't like the point system.  Here is an example of why.....  Wrestler A goes out to Tulsa and places 3rd ( picks up a few points) then he comes home to a local and wrestler B beats him 9-1 are we really going to say that wrestler A is ranked 2nd and wrestler B be is 45th, or not ranked at all  because he doesn't go out of state to pick up the points? 

Like I said I don't need a point system to know who is on top and who is making there way there.

I like the idea, but not real fond of the point system.  You don't have to go to a bunch of big name tourneys to be the best.  It helps you become the best, but picking up points to be ranked, just plays up to whose parent has the most money.  I don't like that.  I can tell you who the best wrestlers are in this state and I know a few who should be on this list that don't ever go out of state.  So, would we leave them off because they aren't racking up the points?  That doesn't sound fair at all.  I think what they are doing against the other in state kids should weigh heavily on this and if they are doing well on the national level that is put into play.  But, I don't like the point system.  Here is an example of why.....  Wrestler A goes out to Tulsa and places 3rd ( picks up a few points) then he comes home to a local and wrestler B beats him 9-1 are we really going to say that wrestler A is ranked 2nd and wrestler B be is 45th, or not ranked at all  because he doesn't go out of state to pick up the points? 

Like I said I don't need a point system to know who is on top and who is making there way there.

On one hand I agree. On the other hand, to do this in an objective way does require some type of criteria. Otherwise it may as well be an opinion poll. Maybe using the point system would be a start, then victories against a "ranked" or "Fab 50" would be a way for a kid, who doesn't make it to National events, to crack the list. Just a thought.

I agree. The points and tournaments came off Michigans Fab 50, I just put it up for an exmaple. I do believe it needs works but that should be something to come up with as a whole. Also, if you pull up Michigans Fab 50 list there is a 145 wrestlers on that list.

Maybe if we come up with something that works...maybe we can do it by divison.

What does everyone think about a Pound for Pound Rankings. To try and Rank all Divisions and 1000 weight classes would be, well a mess. We could have a Intermidate, Novice and Schoolboy/girl Rankings.  Maybe go with 10 in each division.  I know at this time it would probably be a popularity Rankings or what they did last year but  I guess it could be a Preseason Rankings.  I think that Illinois starts at Midget, which to me is young but to follow suit, might be a good start. Opinions?

A Rankings is going to be a tough one to put together as you all probably know.  Most of these wrestlers are not in the spot light the way the High School Wrestlers are. There is going to be a lot of likes and dislikes if it is decided to put one together. Please bare with us, we will be fair. It might not be perfect, but every effort will be made. But as the board states, this is a discussion board so that is exactly what this topic should cause........Tons of discussion.

We ARE taking a close look into all suggestions.

Thank You ::)

A Rankings is going to be a tough one to put together as you all probably know.  Most of these wrestlers are not in the spot light the way the High School Wrestlers are. There is going to be a lot of likes and dislikes if it is decided to put one together. Please bare with us, we will be fair. It might not be perfect, but every effort will be made. But as the board states, this is a discussion board so that is exactly what this topic should cause........Tons of discussion.

We ARE taking a close look into all suggestions.

Thank You ::)

AGREED...you get likes and dislikes in the High School rankings.

I like the points system.  I definately agree with the cap or max on the National tournaments but they should still count for more than local stuff.  It could still work out to be fair if a lot of local tournaments (including nearby in OH, IL, etc) are included.  I still think it would encourge more top kids to participate in the local stuff.  It might also help more results get posted since everyone seems to be horrible at posting them anymore.

As far as putting a number by the kids...  this would just be for fun and I would hope that the adults would not make the numbers that much of an issue. 

I would imagine that doing a top 10 or 20 by division would be really hard.  How do you compare a 60lb Novice to a 110lb novice to come up with a pound for pound ranking.  Lots of opinion involved. 

I would imagine that doing a top 10 or 20 by division would be really hard.  How do you compare a 60lb Novice to a 110lb novice to come up with a pound for pound ranking.  Lots of opinion involved. 

I am not sure that would be a big problem since I think 8 of the 10 Pound for Pound Wrestlers on the High School Ranking is below 140 lb. Most range in the lower 1/3 weights.

First of all I disagree with ranking young wrestlers, and I totally disagree with the points system based on local events. USA wrestling has a ranking system based off of their events, and it has no value IMO. Rankings shouldn't be attached to certain events, It should be more based on level of competion and wins against top opponents.

Best pound per pound middle school wrestler in Indiana imo is Chandler Carrol or Cody LeCount. The best elementary wrestler would probably be Tucker or Morgan.

What does everyone think about a Pound for Pound Rankings. To try and Rank all Divisions and 1000 weight classes would be, well a mess. We could have a Intermidate, Novice and Schoolboy/girl Rankings.  Maybe go with 10 in each division.  I know at this time it would probably be a popularity Rankings or what they did last year but  I guess it could be a Preseason Rankings.  I think that Illinois starts at Midget, which to me is young but to follow suit, might be a good start. Opinions?

I like this idea, right now all you have to go on is what they have done here in Ind. in the past. It could be noted that the listed kids are in no particular order(avoid some argument). As the season goes on it would be fun to watch the changes happen leading up to state and nationals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.