Penn/ Mishawaka Mishawaka 48 Penn 18(results inside)

Fabio Jr.

Ok so this Thursday this dual will take place at Mishawaka High School. being the resident Mishawaka fan boy that i am i feel it is my responsibility to at least share my views on this up coming heated rivalry dual. Now to any sane fan of wrestling, Mishawaka will win unless they only send out half of the JV and then it will be a nail biter. In reality Penn needs to look for a few victories too at least get some revenge from last years "Shutout debacle that was never going to happen." In my humble opinion its very possible but it will be tough to get those victories Mishawaka is the favorite in every match pretty much. Will the kingsmen be able to pull it out?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would it make Mishawaka fans angry to see a past wrestler leading Penn?  Wasn't Henry Wilk a past Mishawaka wrestler/state champ?  How long did he coach and I never heard anyone being angry with him.   I couldn't be happier for Brad.  He came back to the Michiana area to compete against the beast that is Mishawaka Wrestling.  He understands to be the best he must have his guys wrestle the best.  Penn had a very nice win at the Elkhart Memorial tournament over the weekend.  I'm not going to say that Penn is up to Mishawaka's status yet but in a few more years these matches will be more competitive with him being the coach.  Who doesn't love seeing 2 of their past wrestlers succeeding as coaches?!  I'm sure Al Smith is very proud. 

A win or not get Shut Out? Penn Has Been Scrapping, But where Penn is Tough Mishawaka is Tougher. Does It heat the Rivialry up that Brad Harper Is the Head Coach. Does that make Mishawaka fans so angry? Those are not real questions I already Know the answers

Mishawaka wins big again , It could be another shut out , like last year 60-0 . Harper isn't what makes Mishawaka fans so angry . Wrestling is the only sport Mishawaka can consistantly beat Penn . If you look at boys football and Baseball , it's been a long time since Mishawaka has won a game. Add in that the Penn girls are now beating Mish regularly in Volleyball and Softball . This all adds up to wanting to crush Penn on the mat , which they will keep doing for a few more years anyway . Every school in St Joe County hates Penn for the same reasons mentioned above , but it has nothing to do with Brad Harper .

If you add things up.. Elkhart Memorial had 12 guys wrestling in the top 4.. Penn had 9.. Head to head, They spit 7-7.. Elkhart Memorial wins 33-31. Penn's 5 pinned there way through the bottom half, Memorial had too few pins, and wins in the upper bracket.. If it were a regular scored tournament, Penn would have had four 2 and outs.. Memorial would have prevailed easily. The price to pay in this tourney for winning early and getting seeded. This tourney scoring is screwy.. Congrats to Penn, they worked the scoring system and got the job done. Penn is much improved, and will win some matches against Mishawaka.

Sorry, what I meant was..... what weights  can  Penn win against the Cavemen...

None . 189 - HWT will be 18 points for the Cavemen . Gregory and Hildebrandt are both very good wrestlers , but not quite good enough to beat Beck and Guerra . 6-8 points for the Cavemen . Falls at 130 and 140 for the Cavemen = 12 more . Penn's only real shot to score would be at 152 or 160 . And I don't see it happening there either . I think in 2 years , Penn  should be able to compete with the Cavemen , if all the current wrestlers stay in the program .

If you add things up.. Elkhart Memorial had 12 guys wrestling in the top 4.. Penn had 9.. Head to head, They spit 7-7.. Elkhart Memorial wins 33-31. Penn's 5 pinned there way through the bottom half, Memorial had too few pins, and wins in the upper bracket.. If it were a regular scored tournament, Penn would have had four 2 and outs.. Memorial would have prevailed easily. The price to pay in this tourney for winning early and getting seeded. This tourney scoring is screwy.. Congrats to Penn, they worked the scoring system and got the job done. Penn is much improved, and will win some matches against Mishawaka.

Charger1

Looking at your lineup , I don't think Memorial will score a point against Mishawaka either . Your only shot is Corpe , as I don't see Stahl beating Sandefer . I think it will be awhile before Memorial see's Team State again . They now have to go through Mishawaka .

Stahl would beat White and Corpe would beat Forte. Moore would win at 103.. Again, this year, Mishawaka will dominate.. Next year, Memorial will have 13 Seniors.. The same group that was the last team to beat Mishawaka at the Middle school level. Mishawaka's JV isn't that good either this year..So I question their depth for now.. Memorial is good.. but not great..Mishawaka is going to graduate quite a few this year... It will be interesting wrestling in 2009-10.

Stahl would beat White and Corpe would beat Forte. Moore would win at 103.. Again, this year, Mishawaka will dominate.. Next year, Memorial will have 13 Seniors.. The same group that was the last team to beat Mishawaka at the Middle school level. Mishawaka's JV isn't that good either this year..So I question their depth for now.. Memorial is good.. but not great..Mishawaka is going to graduate quite a few this year... It will be interesting wrestling in 2009-10.

Mishawaka's JV isn't that good ?????

Well yes , if Stahl bumps up to avoid Sandefer , then yes he should beat white .White is however a much inproved wrestler and should give Stahl a good match . And as I said Corpe should win , but that is all i'd give Memorial . The Cavemen win this one 55-6

Memorial may very well have 13 seniors next year,  but can the majority of those 13 beat Mishawaka kids ???

We will see.. I think they could we more than those three mentioned this year.. Vance vs. Morin, Sappington vs. Boyd could both be potential wins. Vance lost to Farnham 8-7, Hudson 5-3 in ot, and Spurgeon 5-4.. Sappington beat Buckingham in ot. Both those matches could go either way on any given day. THis group of Juniors is a very good group.. Stahl and Corpe are both back next year and the rest of the Junior group is turning the corner quickly..

Well yes , if Stahl bumps up to avoid Sandefer , then yes he should beat white .White is however a much inproved wrestler and should give Stahl a good match . And as I said Corpe should win , but that is all i'd give Memorial . The Cavemen win this one 55-6

White impressed me alot especially with his victory over the Bruno kid from Crown point.

We will see.. I think they could we more than those three mentioned this year.. Vance vs. Morin, Sappington vs. Boyd could both be potential wins. Vance lost to Farnham 8-7, Hudson 5-3 in ot, and Spurgeon 5-4.. Sappington beat Buckingham in ot. Both those matches could go either way on any given day. THis group of Juniors is a very good group.. Stahl and Corpe are both back next year and the rest of the Junior group is turning the corner quickly..

Charger 1

I realize that this is a Mish-Penn thread . I also realize that Memorial's junior class is good BUT . A Penn team loaded with Sophmores just outscored a Memorial team loaded with Juniors . Penn is also turning the corner quickly , but they are still nowhere near Mishawaka , this year or next year .

Couple things.... first I respect harper and his decision to coach at Penn... hey a guy has to go where the jobs are. Fortunately for Harper Penn had an opening and Penn was as close to his home as he could possibly get cause I don't see the Mishawaka job opening up for quite awhile. Although I must say last year i did joke with his parents about him being a traitor and from the sound of it, it sounded like his parents heard that from numerous people.

Next I expect a blow out this year between the the Cavemen and Kingsmen, but I think it will be closer than last year..... then again it couldn't get much worse, so I feel confident in my prediction

Finally, next year the Chargers may have 13 seniors on the wrestling team, but the question will be..... Will they all be in 13 different weight classes? Or will here be 3 or 4 battling it out for 2 or 3 weight classes.

Why would it make Mishawaka fans angry to see a past wrestler leading Penn?  Wasn't Henry Wilk a past Mishawaka wrestler/state champ?  How long did he coach and I never heard anyone being angry with him.   I couldn't be happier for Brad.  He came back to the Michiana area to compete against the beast that is Mishawaka Wrestling.  He understands to be the best he must have his guys wrestle the best.  Penn had a very nice win at the Elkhart Memorial tournament over the weekend.  I'm not going to say that Penn is up to Mishawaka's status yet but in a few more years these matches will be more competitive with him being the coach.  Who doesn't love seeing 2 of their past wrestlers succeeding as coaches?!  I'm sure Al Smith is very proud. 

I was just  joking, I couldn't see a reason not to respect Harper he is one of the greatest wrestlers in Mishawaka history.

It doesn't bother Mishawaka fans that Brad is the coach.  There are a lot of coaches in the Michiana area that have Caveman ties.

Someone else mentioned it in another post.  Wrestling is the one sport where we have the attitude edge over Penn.  The attitude edge that I refer to is when a school knows that there is no way you are going to beat them.  They will fight tooth and nail to get the victory.  Penn has it in football and baseball.  Mishawaka has it in wrestling.

It doesn't bother Mishawaka fans that Brad is the coach.  There are a lot of coaches in the Michiana area that have Caveman ties.

Someone else mentioned it in another post.  Wrestling is the one sport where we have the attitude edge over Penn.  The attitude edge that I refer to is when a school knows that there is no way you are going to beat them.  They will fight tooth and nail to get the victory.  Penn has it in football and baseball.  Mishawaka has it in wrestling.

This has to be one of the most absurd post's I have read . (Attitude Edge) . So all those Wrestling matches Mishawaka has won over Penn , are because of Attitude ? You mean to tell me there was no skill involved ? Mishawaka wins because their kids start club wrestling at a very young age and stay with wrestling all through middle school and high school . I could name dozens of very good PHM middle school wrestlers that attended Penn but never wrestled at Penn . They chose to either play Football , Baseball or both . Penn has the Football & Baseball program , Mishawaka has the wrestling program . Kids seem to stay in programs that are on top . When Harper can keep all the young Penn club kids in the program through Middle and High school , then you will see this Mishawaka wrestling dominance end . But it isn't because of attitude .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.