mishawaka vs penn review

bigworm285

This was a great dual meet and hopefully many more to come.. mishawaka got some key victories but looked very outta shape and had numerous injury timeouts.. penn on the other hand was well conditioned n I had noticed that penn was back to the line first every time.. there was a coouple of matches that could have gone either way.. Great job to these young men n best of luck the rest of the season..

Great meet...and a lot of fun...we do have a few guys out of shape...two have surgery coming up...one next tuesday...doctors said they had to fix it anyway so no harm in wrestling with it..They can do very little live wrestling...just run and drill...not the same as wrestling live...anyhow,  just want you to keep that in mind...they wrestled tonight for the TEAM..that type of team sacrifice and mentality will be lost if we lose team state. 

Snyder

Hey Snyder... great job tonight..... just one issue..... when the announcer was listing off the streaks mishawaka's program has, he made a mistake....

12 straight NIC championships

11 straight sectionals....

He said 12 of each...... the class of 99 won the NIC, sadly the class of 99 was unable to bring the sectional title home.

My thoughts...

1) Mishawaka did seem out of shape compared to Penn.... But I can say with confidence that Mr. Harper is never going to have a team that is out conditioned by the other team, and his team is going to be better conditioned than 99 percent of the teams that they face.

2) I saw some really inconsistent stalling calls by a really great ref, kinda surprised me. On the other hand, I saw some amazing non-take down line calls by a great ref. IMO he only missed one, and it went Mishawaka's way, so i am ok with that :-). I also loved the fact that 1 ref took the lead the entire match, while the other assisted the entire match.

3) The frosh that wrestled 130 for Mishawaka was impressive!!!!!!! Might have been the best frosh in the Mishawaka/Penn meet since Manspeaker last year.

4) Loved the fact this was moved to the Old Gym!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5) It will be interesting to see how sectional weight classes could play out with all the other teams involved. Penn might pull it out.

3) The frosh that wrestled 130 for Mishawaka was impressive!!!!!!! Might have been the best frosh in the Mishawaka/Penn meet since Manspeaker last year.

Where did Wisler wrestle?  I see that Gregory was at 140, is that from 135 or is he comming all the way from 130

If i am correct, when it came to 130, Penn had a decision on where Manspeaker wrestled, 130 or 135. Being down by 8, they needed a pin out of Manspeaker to have a shot at winning. They moved Manspeaker to 130, and Mishawaka moved their 135 down to 130 as well. Wissler then went up to 135 i believe and won 6-0 or 6-2

That was an exciting dual!

Both teams seemed to have wrestlers wrestling in odd weights and either having missing starters or wrestlers that were wrestling with minor injuries.

Very competitive matches. I think it will be another awesome match come the end of the season - for certain a must watch match-up!

The Mishawaka/Penn JV match-up was extremely lopsided with Penn winning 48 - 9. Penn's depth is amazing!

Awesome atmosphere last night in the cave.  Only issue I had was that the PA quality was not good from where I was sitting.  I could not hear the the introductions and had to wait until the cheerblocks started chanting names.

Probably over 2000 in the gym.  Penn's crowed may have been slightly bigger. 

Thought the General was first rate.  He would be the ref I would want in a match like this because he appeared to relish being on the big stage and is always decisive.  I only questioned 1 or 2 all night and in match this intense that is pretty darn good

I was most impressed with Penn's Devin Reagan and Mishawaka's Layten Binion.  Reagan might not be the physical speciman that Knura or Kral are but I'm not sure I have seen too many 215's with the arsenal of takedowns that Reagan possesses.

Binion might just be the most entertaining wrestler in the state to watch.

Great meet...and a lot of fun...we do have a few guys out of shape...two have surgery coming up...one next tuesday...doctors said they had to fix it anyway so no harm in wrestling with it..They can do very little live wrestling...just run and drill...not the same as wrestling live...anyhow,  just want you to keep that in mind...they wrestled tonight for the TEAM..that type of team sacrifice and mentality will be lost if we lose team state. 

Snyder

No offense Coach, but to say "team sacrifice and mentality will be lost if we lose team state" is absurd.  Most teams in the state have no chance of advancing in the team state tournament and many have an equal amount of sacrifice and intestinal fortitude as a excellent team like Penn or Mishawaka.  The team state has NOTHING to do with it.  Are you to say teams today care more about winning then teams then teams of earlier years that did not compete in the current format?  Coaches cultivate team belief.  It is a philosophy of the coach, program and kids.  Your advocacy of team state is self serving.  With that being said I like the team state idea, but if coaches rely on that format to create a team concept something is wrong.

No offense Coach, but to say "team sacrifice and mentality will be lost if we lose team state" is absurd.  Most teams in the state have no chance of advancing in the team state tournament and many have an equal amount of sacrifice and intestinal fortitude as a excellent team like Penn or Mishawaka.  The team state has NOTHING to do with it.  Are you to say teams today care more about winning then teams then teams of earlier years that did not compete in the current format?  Coaches cultivate team belief.  It is a philosophy of the coach, program and kids.  Your advocacy of team state is self serving.  With that being said I like the team state idea, but if coaches rely on that format to create a team concept something is wrong.

Sure its self serving.  The team state has help him build on an already strong program.  Nothing wrong with that at all.  That is also why he has advocated for a classed team state so more programs will experience the types of things he has seen in the Mishawaka program.

Maybe saying that sacrificing for the team will be lost if we lose team state is a bit strong but it is likely to decrease.  Those teams that wrestle their JV at a team regional because they have no chance of winning sure aren't  showing much sacrifice and intestinal fortitude.

Maybe saying that sacrificing for the team will be lost if we lose team state is a bit strong but it is likely to decrease.  Those teams that wrestle their JV at a team regional because they have no chance of winning sure aren't  showing much sacrifice and intestinal fortitude.

If there is a decrease in sacrificing for the team... completely poor coaching.  I am at a loss on how losing team state translates into less team sacrifice... my high school coach was the legendary Al Smith and we had no team state format.  This argument implies that we couldn't have cared as for the team as much as wrestlers do today.  Absurd. 

As for teams that wrestle their JV and team regional is an example of horrible coaching.  I would not want my children to wrestle for a coach that would do something like that.  I disdain that, but it is not the kids fault their coaches are cowards.  I also, think that coaches that avoid Wednesday matches because they may or may not see their opponent on Saturday is also doing a disservice to kids and the sport.  Wrestling is in sad state if coaches are using Team State as a reason for building TEAM concept.

Zen,

Self-Serving??? We have won individual state the last 4 out of 5 years.  If it was the old format we would have 4 state titles...with team state we only have two.  I have talked to guys on the 1991 Mishawaka Team that won state - Mike Lehman and Corey Sinkovics, etc...Corey told me it was cool for the team to win it, but he did not feel like he was a part of it since he was in the stands.

Those of you that have never experienced Team State have no idea what you are missing.  That is why we have to fight to get it classed...

I am not saying past teams didn't care about the team, but I will tell you I wrestled at Mishawaka before team state....and I talk to past wrestlers and coaches all the time - including Coach Smith and Coach Beehler...both absolutely say Team State has made our wrestlling program more of a team sport.

Get it classed and so many more schools can expereince this...

Do you have any idea how much easier my job would be if we lost team state? The goal at Mishawaka is to win state championships...If it is based off of individual state, all that determines the state champions are my 5 best kids versus everyone elses 5 best kids...My best few kids are already motivated...makes my job easier, but terrible for our sport...

Snyder

Self-serving yes, not something to be ashamed of... I agree that Team State is a fantastic experience.  My point is that a vast majority of coaches cannot and should not use that as an excuse to "buy in."  Only a handful of teams can realistically set sights on Team State so their coaching of "team" comes from a different place.  It is your task as a coach to find the point to get kids to be a part of the team and sacrifice for the team.  I don't want to see Team State eliminated.  Having team state does not make most wrestling coaches jobs harder or easier.  Good coaches want to win, want kids to grow and mature, want a kids to learn they are a part of greater whole, and whole list of other life lessons... the belief that your ability to accomplish that hinges in team state is frustrating to me.  

Zen,

Self-Serving??? We have won individual state the last 4 out of 5 years.  If it was the old format we would have 4 state titles...with team state we only have two.  I have talked to guys on the 1991 Mishawaka Team that won state - Mike Lehman and Corey Sinkovics, etc...Corey told me it was cool for the team to win it, but he did not feel like he was a part of it since he was in the stands.

Those of you that have never experienced Team State have no idea what you are missing.  That is why we have to fight to get it classed...

I am not saying past teams didn't care about the team, but I will tell you I wrestled at Mishawaka before team state....and I talk to past wrestlers and coaches all the time - including Coach Smith and Coach Beehler...both absolutely say Team State has made our wrestlling program more of a team sport.

Get it classed and so many more schools can expereince this...

Do you have any idea how much easier my job would be if we lost team state? The goal at Mishawaka is to win state championships...If it is based off of individual state, all that determines the state champions are my 5 best kids versus everyone elses 5 best kids...My best few kids are already motivated...makes my job easier, but terrible for our sport...

Snyder

well said......we need it to be a classed system for the team part.......

It went about as expected.  Penn is still a year or two away.  Look at the JV score.  Of course, Mishawaka always solves that problem by getting other programs kids.  It is ironic a Jimtown kid helped Mishawaka win a close dual... I mean a Northwood kid... I mean a John Glenn kid... I mean South Bend kid... I mean an Elkhart kid.

In today's world when kids are becoming more and more narcissistic with Facebook, text messaging, and all the new forms fo technology, I am glad to hear that someone out there thinks that teaching teenagers loyalty and sacrifice for the sake of a 'team' is a noble cause.  Coach Snyder makes and excellent point that his job WOULD be much easier if he didn't emphasize the team concept.  He is not pushing that kids care about others' interests before their own.  If you spend anytime at all near the MHS program you know that he pushes character and intergrity.  Yes, they are still kids and they make dumb mistakes from time to time.  However, his athletes leave the program on the road to becoming men that any of us would be proud to call our own.  What I saw last night was a Coach that puts his heart and soul into a team.  His reaction to the pin that gave his team 19 team pts. was very memorable and something I wish every fan could have seen.  He takes ownership of the programs success and failures.  That is something I would love my son to learn.

Onto another topic, Penn's Reagan is also someone to watch.  I talked to Coach Harper last Saturday about this wrestler and he had nothing but good things to say.  In my opinion, I think Coach Harper is hard to impress.  Devin is the kind of kid I will cheer for everytime.  And for the record, it SHOULD go without saying that Harper runs a program with an equal emphasis on character and integrity.  I would not hesitate to put my own children in either program.

Please remember too when you post things the wrestlers read this stuff...they are kids...is our JV what is normally is?  No, but they are GREAT kids and work VERY hard...no they are not great wrestlers yet and Penn JV handed it to them big time...They were very upset last night...

I am very excited about our JV...When our full lineup is intact, we only have 3 seniors starting for us...we have a couple stud 8th graders coming up...Our JV linuep will essentially be the same next year...they are GREAT kids, but very inexperienced...I think you will see HUGE improvements in them by next year when they are wrestling JV...Penn's future is bright and so is Mishawakas...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.