IHSWCA Proposal?

GrecoCoach

Since Rex posted about how the IHSAA won't support our coaches association's proposal when our coaches can't agree on what we want, let's see what the wrestling community does feel is most important.  Then, let's all gather together around what the majority feel is the most important issue to deal with first.  After that is done, we can start working on the next most important issue.

Maybe if we can agree to all support the majority, then the IHSAA will see our unity instead of our separation.

Ideally, this is something that should have been asked of all head coaches at the sectional seeding meetings.  At this point, it would be interesting to see what everyone feels is important - coaches, parents, wrestlers, fans, etc.  We're all in this sport together!

Thanks for putting this up Greco Coach, I know that for the last 2 years the coaches survey hasn't made it's way into our Sectional Seeding meeting.

You've noticed that too!  I always like hearing about it on the board afterward though.

Wrestle backs on regionals, semi-state, and state!  Every tourney should be seeded so they all have an equal opportunity to make it to state or place.  Sectionals is a little different in my opinion because the ihsaa is trying to find a sectional team champion.  So sectionals should be seeded without wrestle backs because there are a ton of forfeits and byes.  We wrestle a whole season to get a good seed for the sectionals. Wrestlers that make it to the semifinals go to regionals, and it should be scored as such for the team champions.  Now as for the kids that could not wrestle because of grades or injuries.  I think that is the luck of the draw.  Not going 38-6 on the season and drawing an undefeated wrestler in a ticket round to state.  For example, in little Jared Brooks case when he drew Zack Stevens in the ticket round.  The issue with class wrestling should never be brought up in the state of Indiana.  We are the few among many that have a true state champion in each weight class.  Now the only thing we have to do is create wrestle backs to keep those wrestlers that still have a legitimate chance of making it to state.

This is the point I have been trying to make about wrestlebacks vs. class wrestling. It seems as if the majority of those associated with this board would like to see wrestlebacks at the semi-state level as opposed to class wrestling. Most of us seem to be in agreement that this is the biggest step we can take right now for the betterment of our sport and athletes. I think if we can try and focus on that one goal -- then maybe there is something that we can actually try and get changed.

It is my understanding that the IHSAA does frown a bit on our coaches' association's relatively low membership numbers.  By that I mean that the IHSAA may not be so quick to change policy or practice for our sport based on such a low number of voting members in our state.  GrecoCoach makes a good point in stating, "it would be interesting to see what everyone feels is important - coaches, parents, wrestlers, fans, etc.  We're all in this sport together!"

As an IHSWCA member myself (and a candidate for office), I would like to explore other avenues to increase our organization's membership numbers.  There are certainly many people across our state who are well educated in the sport of wrestling and have strong opinions on a variety of wrestling topics.  I believe that by increasing our organization's numbers, it would in turn strengthen our voice and position with the IHSAA.  No matter what the topic may be, I fear we will continue to struggle to win over the IHSAA on key points when we only have 100-200 people across our state voting on critical issues.  There is certainly some truth to the old adage, "there is strength in numbers."

Sorry Trent I think its a bad idea to let fans in the assoc.  I was a member for a long time, and yes its true for the last 4 years I have not been.. I was too sensitive to someones comments and have turnd a cold shoulder to the assoc.  I like alot of the people such as jd, and rex, but it became apparent that not everyones veiws were the same and some didn't want to hear others view point.

The assoc voted for class wrestling with close to 90 % vote and Im sure we had decent membership then and I know I felt like some went behind the memberships back and threw the wrestlebacks in because its what they wanted, thus both getting shot down in the proposal.  With the state saying we have no idea what we want as a membership.  Well We didn't vote for wrestlebacks we voted for class wrestling.  We knew what we wanted, it just wasn't what a few in power wanted. Maybe im  wrong I have been before. 

I truly think that the assoc can thrive through the coaching ranks we just need to get out and have people sign coaches up, at all of the schools and we need to do  a better job of listening and applying what the coaches collectivly want not what a few want.

This state should have 750-1000 membership in wrestling with club coaches asst. coaches middle school coches. head coaches.

Tim Spray

I know the football coaches association allows middle school coaches to join for reduced rates as well.  I have coached for a dozen years and still don't know who is my regional rep or how they are selected.  I hope to find out someday.

Wrestle backs on regionals, semi-state, and state!  Every tourney should be seeded so they all have an equal opportunity to make it to state or place.  Sectionals is a little different in my opinion because the ihsaa is trying to find a sectional team champion.  So sectionals should be seeded without wrestle backs because there are a ton of forfeits and byes.  We wrestle a whole season to get a good seed for the sectionals. Wrestlers that make it to the semifinals go to regionals, and it should be scored as such for the team champions.   Now as for the kids that could not wrestle because of grades or injuries.  I think that is the luck of the draw.  Not going 38-6 on the season and drawing an undefeated wrestler in a ticket round to state.  For example, in little Jared Brooks case when he drew Zack Stevens in the ticket round.  The issue with class wrestling should never be brought up in the state of Indiana.  We are the few among many that have a true state champion in each weight class.  Now the only thing we have to do is create wrestle backs to keep those wrestlers that still have a legitimate chance of making it to state.

i dont like yer idea with sectionals

i made it to semifinals, and the guy i beat in the quarters actually made it

he wrestled me again, for third place

Although a long time member of the IHSWCA, I cannot say that I have been privy to results of past votes within the organization and the resulting proposals made to the IHSAA by our coach's association.  I have wondered why we don't have a larger membership in our state.  There are many fine coaches at all age levels across Indiana.  I believe the number that was given to me recently was between 300-400 members currently belong to the IHSWCA.  This number was shared with me during a casual conversation, so I am not sure how accurate it is.  I certainly respect Coach Spray's opinion on only allowing coaches to vote in the "coaches" association.  Personally, I can go either way on that issue.

I do see on the IHSWCA membership application that there are categories for "officials" and "other" in addition to the high school and middle school coaching classifications.  I don't know what the current break down is of coaches vs non-coaches who belong to the organization (and if "other" members' votes are counted the same as "coaches'" votes).  I see value though in being able to gather viewpoints/votes from the various ranks throughout the Indiana wrestling community.  At the very least, it would be interesting data and could prove to be useful in formulating future plans and proposals.  After all, even though our coaches work hard at guiding our sport in Indiana, we wouldn't have a job without our wrestlers and their parents (and their viewpoints).  Again, it seems to me that gathering opinions from all facets within our wrestling community would prove useful and could strengthen our position.

As one of the four candidates for the office of vice-president of our coaches' organization, I do appreciate hearing others' feelings about our organization, so I can gain a better understanding of how our group is percieved throughout the wrestling community.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.