IHSWCA Team Tournament Questions

beachbum21

1) Is there a provision / rule for this tourament format that will force a team up a class after a second straight Title, similar to the IHSAA rules?

2) If this tournament was designed to crown winners in specified classes, how can it be allowed for schools to decide (on their own) to move up classes? I understand MD wanting to for the competition and respect them for that but how fair it is for the TRUE 8th best school in 3A (based the point system), they are then bumped out?

Just a curious.

1.  I do not believe that there is any sort of "success factor" in place like IHSAA events.

2.  Mater Dei chose to bump up just like schools can in the IHSAA tournaments.  The smallest 3A school was simply moved down.  I would say that the division of classes is based on both size, and to even out the competition.  MD was technically a 1A team; they would walk through the field.  MD has 12 or however many team state titles.  They are a 3A team in every aspect besides size.

1.  I do not believe that there is any sort of "success factor" in place like IHSAA events.

2.  Mater Dei chose to bump up just like schools can in the IHSAA tournaments.  The smallest 3A school was simply moved down.  I would say that the division of classes is based on both size, and to even out the competition.  MD was technically a 1A team; they would walk through the field.  MD has 12 or however many team state titles.  They are a 3A team in every aspect besides size.

So the number of state titles is an aspect of a class size?

1) If there is NO Legacy Rule, do you think there should be?

2) I did not realize the smallest 3A school was bumped to 2A, does that mean the smallest 2A is then bumped to 1A? Just curious, who would have been the 8th team in 3A that was a 3A school in size from last year? Are they in the 2A tournament this year?

Ps. I could not agreee more on your comments about MD (walking through the field in 1A), these are just curiousity questions.  Thank you.

So the number of state titles is an aspect of a class size?

No, but if a team chooses to bump up a class I think that several state titles helps them to come to that decision.  It also is somewhat behind the success factor in the IHSAA team’s sports.  Nobody forced MD to go up a class, they chose to.  Teams can choose to in other IHSAA sports as well.  We (Churubusco) could choose to be 3A as well; it just wouldn’t make any sense for us to do so.  It makes sense for MD to do so due to the number of state titles that they have won, and the current state of their program being one of the elite teams in the state.

1) If there is NO Legacy Rule, do you think there should be?

2) I did not realize the smallest 3A school was bumped to 2A, does that mean the smallest 2A is then bumped to 1A? Just curious, who would have been the 8th team in 3A that was a 3A school in size from last year? Are they in the 2A tournament this year?

Ps. I could not agreee more on your comments about MD (walking through the field in 1A), these are just curiousity questions.  Thank you.

1.  That’s a tough one.  Without a tournament like the IHSAA sports it’s tough to say yes or no.  We would have to think a great deal about the criteria that would force a team to move up.

2.  The teams fell behind MD were up for a final spot.  The last two spots in the tournament go to a committee vote.  I know that Mishawaka, and Carroll were up for those spots.  3A also had Merriville, and I think Crown Point decline, so that plays a role too.

So if my buddy coaches at the smallest 3A school, and I coach a 2A school, could I bump myself up, even if I knew I wasn't going to come close to qualifying for the State Duals? I could then send my buddy's team down to 2A.

I would hate to be buddies with someone who was so ethically challenged.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.