I now see the light of Class wrestling

20 hours ago, MattM said:

I’m not diving into this threads whole class argument, but this point is worth showing how cherry picking statistics work both ways and doesn’t always tell the whole story. 

The worst state are classes too.  In fact there are many classed states that have less AAs per year compared to single class states of CA, NJ, and IN.  So it could easily be said that class wrestling must be holding those states back as it could that class wrestling is pushing a few states to the top.  The fact is class wrestling by itself can be shown to not be the magic bullet for all wrestling state too.  

And honestly judging a entire states quality just based on college AAs is pretty crazy for me to wrap my head around considering that the absolute best of the best which obviously take a much bigger wrestling dedication level than just getting the experience of participating in a classed state. Participants in college wrestling seems more reliable of an across the board look at quality wrestling states, but I’m guessing we would still see many class states with low numbers there too.  

The numbers for both your statement and mine are due to the simple fact that all but 3 US states are classed. So statistically the odds of the highest and lowest states being classed are huge.  

You likely could find some advantages to point to where class wrestling may help wrestling, but the argument that class states develop more AAs just because they are classes isn’t exactly true when looking at all states. 

Now use your logic for the people trying to use Shenandoah and Mater Dei as reasons why the single class system works. It doesn’t take a genius to see that larger schools dominate in terms of SQ’s, placers, and champs. If you want to grow the sport in Indiana, classing the state series is your best option. Smaller schools will have more success and their programs will grow. 

9 hours ago, AlaskanMountie said:

Now use your logic for the people trying to use Shenandoah and Mater Dei as reasons why the single class system works. It doesn’t take a genius to see that larger schools dominate in terms of SQ’s, placers, and champs. If you want to grow the sport in Indiana, classing the state series is your best option. Smaller schools will have more success and their programs will grow. 

I can think the sport is big enough in Indiana. Very popular. Why the need “to grow “?

I'd be curious to see the results if Mater Dei chose to wrestle in their enrollment class in a classed individual tournament.  I know everybody will say that they should wrestle up like they do for team state, but since it is all about the kids and exposure, etc. wouldn't it make sense for Mater Dei's kids to wrestle in their enrollment class so they can increase their odds of winning individual state titles?  Guys like Blake Boarman, Alec Freeman, Eli Dickens, Cole Ross, etc would have had a great chance to win 2-3 titles in that scenario.  Wouldn't that be better for them?

On 3/18/2023 at 3:55 PM, GenHeavyHandz said:

I meant the actual student body. I’m not trying to throw shade here. But I think you know where I’m going with this. Copy them. Call their coaches. Reach out to those who are winning and take your team to club practice there. We plan on taking several trips to RWA this summer. I send my kids to practice at Sebolt and Big Game and Easter Iowa but they belong to DC Elite.  Can’t beat’em join’em. No shame in it. Get that work.  Warren Wrestling Academy has an open door policy.  Network with those you want to emulate. 

For a school like Mater Dei it isn't as simple as calling a coach and seeing what they are doing different.  They are an anomaly for a lower enrollment school that has come from decades of family tradition.  Alumni will send their kids there to carry on tradition and that kid will have grown up hearing about the success of MD wrestling and will want to achieve that same level of success.  It is very rare that a small school could get that kind of dedication over the course of generations.  Now it is to the point if a wrestler from Southern Indiana wants to be successful and their family has the resources they will send that kid to MD and rightfully so. 

To go off what others  have said. If Indiana were classed, small schools like MD should compete in whatever division they are in based off enrollment.  All this does is create more opportunity for kids to get to be state qualifiers or hell even regional qualifiers.  

I have been around wrestlers from states that are classed and none of them feel any less about being a state qualifier/placer/champ.  Some states like FL, may not be the case now but used to, have a mini tournament with all the champions after state for bragging rights.

There are too many kids that are not seeing the fruit of their work and it is discouraging when they are in a sectional/regional that is a grinder to get out of and watch other kids that they have beaten get to semi-state/state because of the path they have.  If it were classed it would just give more opportunities for all. 

18 minutes ago, twooooooo said:

For a school like Mater Dei it isn't as simple as calling a coach and seeing what they are doing different.  They are an anomaly for a lower enrollment school that has come from decades of family tradition.  Alumni will send their kids there to carry on tradition and that kid will have grown up hearing about the success of MD wrestling and will want to achieve that same level of success.  It is very rare that a small school could get that kind of dedication over the course of generations.  Now it is to the point if a wrestler from Southern Indiana wants to be successful and their family has the resources they will send that kid to MD and rightfully so. 

To go off what others  have said. If Indiana were classed, small schools like MD should compete in whatever division they are in based off enrollment.  All this does is create more opportunity for kids to get to be state qualifiers or hell even regional qualifiers.  

I have been around wrestlers from states that are classed and none of them feel any less about being a state qualifier/placer/champ.  Some states like FL, may not be the case now but used to, have a mini tournament with all the champions after state for bragging rights.

There are too many kids that are not seeing the fruit of their work and it is discouraging when they are in a sectional/regional that is a grinder to get out of and watch other kids that they have beaten get to semi-state/state because of the path they have.  If it were classed it would just give more opportunities for all. 

200.gif                                                                                                                                                  You obviously didn't read my earlier post about supporting class wrestling.  But go ahead and write a dissertation: I'm all ears.  When one arrives late to a party it's customary to bring refreshments and libation. You instead brought Natty Light and Slim Jim's. This ain't that type of party. 

28 minutes ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

200.gif                                                                                                                                                  You obviously didn't read my earlier post about supporting class wrestling.  But go ahead and write a dissertation: I'm all ears.  When one arrives late to a party it's customary to bring refreshments and libation. You instead brought Natty Light and Slim Jim's. This ain't that type of party. 

I was only going off what you had said about MD.  The rest was going off of what others had said on here and my 2 cents on classifying, i just quoted that one because it was what I saw first.  I had always been against classed wrestling up until this season.  Natty Light and Slim Jim's however sounds like a hell of a time. 

On 3/17/2023 at 10:41 AM, aoberlin said:

We aren't being fair to our kids to say we don't want to class it because we enjoy the show so much.

Ding! Ding! Ding! If one of your main argument against class wrestling is that it would water down the finals excitement, you might be valuing your own entertainment over what’s best for the kids who are *actually* competing.