Iran wrestling news

13 minutes ago, kkiane said:

Mohmadi beats Berber 7-5. It was really close. Mohmadi’s par terre offence backfired on him multiple times. 

Just managed to switch on the second the match was over, what was the booing about? Was there a dodgy call or was it just Kyrgyz cheering  fellow Turks?

And Geraei got teched 11-1?!

Just now, kmrabr said:

Just managed to switch on the second the match was over, what was the booing about? Was there a dodgy call or was it just Kyrgyz cheering  fellow Turks?

And Geraei got teched 11-1?!

The refs called a leg foul on the Turk defending, but only after Iranian challenge. The leg foul allowed the Turk to get four points on the counter. 

1 minute ago, kkiane said:

The refs called a leg foul on the Turk defending, but only after Iranian challenge. The leg foul allowed the Turk to get four points on the counter. 

Very happy for Mohmadi and MA Geraei too. Feel like I say this every year but really hope he can put together a gold medal run at worlds.

7 hours ago, The Genius said:

We need to start thinking about Sohrabi at 67kg for Paris

Zoidze has moved up and is a natural 72 now anyway. Also I’m intrigued by Esmaeli. We’ve seen Sohrabi’s quality in this tournament, now imagine the quality of a wrestler that can beat him 8-0.

4 hours ago, kkiane said:

Zoidze has moved up and is a natural 72 now anyway. Also I’m intrigued by Esmaeli. We’ve seen Sohrabi’s quality in this tournament, now imagine the quality of a wrestler that can beat him 8-0.

Zoidze will come back down for Paris and MR Geraei is losing to too many people, he is not reliable anymore 

Esmaeili is at 63kg not 67kg 

2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Zoidze will come back down for Paris and MR Geraei is losing to too many people, he is not reliable anymore 

Esmaeili is at 63kg not 67kg 

Esmaeili is at 67 now. He faced Sohrabi a few weeks back and teched him. Even if he isn’t he’ll move up for Paris.

On 6/3/2023 at 3:01 PM, kkiane said:

Esmaeili is at 67 now. He faced Sohrabi a few weeks back and teched him. Even if he isn’t he’ll move up for Paris.

I stand corrected, thanks. I'd like to see them face Geraei to get an idea of their level

13 minutes ago, The Genius said:

I stand corrected, thanks. I'd like to see them face Geraei to get an idea of their level

I am actually a massive fan of Esmaeili. I remember he has beaten both Sharshenbekov and Nazaryan twice in the past when he was at 60kg. I personally think he would put up a mighty fight against MR Geraei.

Edited by kkiane

Medal results: 

4 golds (51, 55, 92, 110)

1 silver (45)

1 bronze (60)

Most impressive of the day was Gholami at 55. He beat the cadet world champ in his new weight class. Showcased an improved par terre defence. 

Also impressive was Dezfoolinejad. Even though he won only bronze I feel he’ll perform better at the worlds, away from the Kyrgyz crowd.

Meanwhile in the US, the team selection is complete Olympic champs Taylor, Snyder, Steveson win, Marsteller tops Burroughs, in men’s freestyle at Final X (teamusa.org)

The big news is that Stevenson is back and will wrestle, Burroughs lost, cox was injured and did not wrestle Snyder.  The US team is a formidable team.

3 minutes ago, kkiane said:

We win FS Asian Championship with 6 golds, 3 silvers and a bronze. 

Standout was 45kg Ahora. He’s amazing.

I hope Ahora can grow fast enough to be the 57 kg rep for the seniors soon

3 minutes ago, Irani said:

I hope Ahora can grow fast enough to be the 57 kg rep for the seniors soon

He’s only 15. He just annihilated everyone in his path. He went 33-0 in terms of points.

Edited by kkiane

7 hours ago, kkiane said:

Thanks, haven’t managed to watch any of the gr or fs matches tbh but will check him out.

7 hours ago, Irani said:

Meanwhile in the US, the team selection is complete Olympic champs Taylor, Snyder, Steveson win, Marsteller tops Burroughs, in men’s freestyle at Final X (teamusa.org)

The big news is that Stevenson is back and will wrestle, Burroughs lost, cox was injured and did not wrestle Snyder.  The US team is a formidable team.

Will be weird without Burroughs there. Don’t know if we send him or Nokhodi but remember Savadkouhi getting beat by Martseller at a ranking event last year…

And agreed this is a very tough American team. Haven’t seen much of the guy who beat Yianni but he took him out in 2 so must be good.

7 minutes ago, kmrabr said:

Will be weird without Burroughs there. Don’t know if we send him or Nokhodi but remember Savadkouhi getting beat by Martseller at a ranking event last year…

And agreed this is a very tough American team. Haven’t seen much of the guy who beat Yianni but he took him out in 2 so must be good.

Nick Lee beat Yianni, and is  growing into a world class talent.  

7 hours ago, Irani said:

Burroughs will be back.  He’s not out of the national picture just yet. Americans are finally adding depth to the national team 

10 hours ago, Disco said:

Burroughs will be back.  He’s not out of the national picture just yet. Americans are finally adding depth to the national team 

Did you catch the end of the third  match with Marstellar where it looked like he was about to retire for a second? I think it was just emotions running high in the moment. I was thinking to myself, why would he retire the year before an Olympic year!!

Edited by BrodyHardcastle

19 hours ago, kkiane said:

Thanks for the updates. That was an incredible performance with so many future stars. Khateri and Firouzjaei look like potential future world champions.