Iran wrestling news

Sarlak is so disappointing, we still need someone at 57kg.

Rahman is amazing, Ochir is very good, that win will age well. Rahman vs Otoguru or Mamedov will be very difficult but great matches. 65kg is absolutely stacked.

Ghiasi sucks but we already knew that. We are quite weak at 70kg too given Yazdani Jr's descent into mediocrity. 

79kg doesn't matter since we have Savadkouhi and Nokhodi. 

By far the biggest disappointment was Goleij losing to a random 20 year old. What a disaster. So now it's between Azarpira and Ghasempour at 97kg for us (Firouzpour isn't good enough) Hopefully Azarpira can make some strides, he is only 21 and already on a good level. 

Also terrible news for Zare, Taha and Geno that Gable is returning for Paris 2024. Let's see how Masoumi does tomorrow...

5 hours ago, The Genius said:

By far the biggest disappointment was Goleij losing to a random 20 year old. What a disaster. So now it's between Azarpira and Ghasempour at 97kg for us (Firouzpour isn't good enough) Hopefully Azarpira can make some strides, he is only 21 and already on a good level. 

Yeah big shock. He might not have the most popular style but he was our number one 97 in terms of recent results. 

Rezaei, Karimi and Masoumi make the SF from FS day 2.

Half-Iranian Arash Yoshida teched Arashk Mohebi in the first round and is in the SF. 

Masoumi vs Munkhtur is the only significant match we will see today.

Rezaei loses his SF, Karimi beats Ishiguro and makes the final.

Edited by The Genius

22 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Half-Iranian Arash Yoshida teched Arashk Mohebi in the first round and is in the SF. 

Yoshida I’m the final so Mohebi back in. What did you think of his style! Like I said interesting mix of Iranian and Japanese wrestling.

Masoumi vs Munkhtur time!! First time Masoumi hasn't looked huge, Munkhtur looks bigger and stronger than Masoumi.

Masoumi converts an early shot to a step out, 1-0 Masoumi

Passivity point, 2-0 Masoumi

Munkhtur counters Masoumi's TD attempt and forces Masoumi to give up a step out, 2-1 Masoumi

Early step out, 3-1

Great leg attack converted to TD, 5-1 Masoumi

Munkhtur gets the foot and scrambles to a TD, 5-3 

Step out, 6-3 Masoumi

With 2 seconds left Munkhtur pushes him against the edge and takes him down feet to back... 4 pts Munkhtur... Munkhtur beats Masoumi 7-6... 

8-6 after a failed challenge. Masoumi gets a late step out after the match ends, he wants a challenge but they already used their challenge, and he needs more than 2 points anyway. He gets a yellow card from the referee for protesting. 

Edited by The Genius

For a 19 year old against a bigger guy who is a 2x world medalist he did very well, one big mistake with 2 seconds left cost him the match. His leg attacks were good, if he was more aggressive he could have built a bigger lead.

He's young, he will learn a lot from this match and that can help him become great in the next 3-5 years. 

2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

For a 19 year old against a bigger guy who is a 2x world medalist he did very well, one big mistake with 2 seconds left cost him the match. His leg attacks were good, if he was more aggressive he could have built a bigger lead.

He's young, he will learn a lot from this match and that can help him become great in the next 3-5 years. 

He clearly doesn’t like losing, so I don’t think he’ll let losing happen again.

7 minutes ago, kkiane said:

He clearly doesn’t like losing, so I don’t think he’ll let losing happen again.

No one likes losing lol but I agree, he has a ruthless mentality and this will motivate him to work harder and wrestle better. Overall, it's probably a good thing for his career. No disrespect to the Asian Championships but the only medals that matter in his career are World and Olympic medals.

Edited by The Genius

24 minutes ago, kmrabr said:

It’s a bad loss but he’s young and will definitely learn from it.

This Asians has been a shambles from us tbh. Haven’t checked but are we even in the top 3 at this point?

After day 1 yes, we are #3

1 hour ago, kkiane said:

Masoumi on social media is claiming Munkhtur’s 4 point move was illegal because he grabbed his singlet. In the video I can kind of see it.

Singlet grabs happen all the time, he only has himself to blame for the loss. No shame in losing a very close match to a World silver medalist at 19 years old.

Zare beat Munkhtur 3-0 a few months ago, I think it's clear Zare is our guy for Paris. But 2025 onwards will be very interesting if Masoumi can improve as we expect him to. 

He did not learn for his mistake. He’s completely lost his head. I think he has more to work on mentally than physically or technically. He has everything he needs but he is too cocky.

He’s made a complete and utter fool of himself.

Edited by kkiane

Making a mistake in the last second against Munkhtur can happen. But that was embarrassing. Agree with kkiane head’s totally gone after the disappointment of the semi final.

Fitting end to an shocking tournament really. 

Edited by kmrabr

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Singlet grabs happen all the time, he only has himself to blame for the loss. No shame in losing a very close match to a World silver medalist at 19 years old.

I agree with you 100% no excuses, but the reverse angle on UWW’s insta story shows it’s way worse than the typical grab.