How Often Does THIS Happen?

blueandgold

I was speaking with some kids today at the fairgrounds in between matches, and they were asking how often do we see a wrestler rise to the occasion and win a title with a large number of in-season losses. I couldn’t even answer as the most losses I’ve recalled any state champion having in a particular season was five, as recent as Holden Parsons in 2020. I remember Ray Rioux placed third with about ten losses, but I don’t know any champion in recent memory with more than five. Are there any champions in history with 5+ losses? And in the sport of wrestling, how often do we see someone win a title at the highest level with a large quantity of losses? I also remember former West Virginia stud, Zeke Moisey entered the 2015 Division I NCAA Tournament unseeded with 13 losses and made the finals. Seems like a rare feat in our sport.

Edited by blueandgold

I think you can legitimately have two different categories here.  

1.Most total losses to make the finals. This could almost all end up being from losing to the same person multiple times.  Likely also your finals opponent.

2. Most different opponent you have lost to and still made the finals.

Edited by MattM

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.