Lay coaching advice

Coach Nieman

As a recently hired head coach, one of my biggest concerns for the future of my wrestling program is keeping numbers up. Unfortunately, every coach in the program, including myself, is a lay coach. On the one hand, it is nice having a group of coaches passionate enough about the sport to take time away from work every day to help build our program up. On the other hand, encouraging potential new wrestlers to come out for the sport will surely be a problem. We have had an elementary wrestling program for 1-5 graders for about 9 years now that is coached by adult volunteers and high school wrestlers. We also have a middle school program for grades 6-8. But that is also run by lay coaches. Now that I've laid out the program's feeder resources, I'd like to ask for any input on effective ways to help get kids to come out for the sport. Callout meetings and asking coaches in other sports for recruiting help will only get me so far. Thanks in advance for any pointers that are offered.

Edited by Coach Nieman

Parent commitment is key. If you can have a strong parent involvement in the program year after year success will come. Recruiting in grades 9-12 can be a futile effort. If they have not wrestled in the past few will be interested. At this level peer pressure maybe the best way to get older students to come out. Developing a very large, strong, active, committed youth program will keep the kids out for years to come.

Best programs are the ones where kids have been on the mat for years (year round) and involved in wrestling outside of the school (year round) and parents are very much involved (year round). 

k-12 host, host, host and host events (year round). Start young, get families involved and make it fun (year round).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.