Red and rypel

Sgyorks

I just saw tonite. Haven't seen a thread on it. Red to Nebraska and rypel to Indiana? Those seem like weird landing spots to me. Burroughs get red to Nebraska? Just curious looking for more info!

Searched and found way back in sept

Thread and article about Red, which should answer some of the questions about him:

http://indianamat.com/index.php/topic/48623-cj-red-commits-to/

The thread about Rypel was just before that, but older threads seem to be down at the moment with the back and forth difficulties this site faced with trying to do upgrades.  I'm sure the thread about Rypel and other older threads will be back up soon.

I would just make this point that I didn't realize before about the Rypel signing: ex-Cathedral guys Vinny Corsaro and Wes Bernard transferred from Rutgers back in-state to IU (not 100% sure on Bernard...saw that he did, but he's not on the online roster).  This may have had some impact on Rypel's decision.  As much as IU has struggled lately, they do seem to be getting good in-state talent to commit right now--especially from the east and northeast parts of Indy.

Edited by maligned

I think Manning at Nebraska is great coach.  He seems to get the most out of his guys. Kokesh was a beast. How big of a recruit was he?  I don't think he was a Top recruit, but I could be wrong.  

Plus some of those Nebraska guys are doing well on the international stage.  Everyone knows Burroughs but look what James Green has done.  

Rypel to IU is a bit of head-scratcher, but it's a beautiful campus, great school, and close to home.  

Kokesh was a top recruit, especially for a bigger guy. He wasn't the top guy, but right there. As far as Red goes, the rumors early last year were Penn State and Nebraska. The recent success of guys like Burroughs and Green certainly help as they are getting some really good guys this fall already.

Rypel to Indiana, isn't surprising because from what I have heard he's a momma's boy!  :)

Rypel to IU is a bit of head-scratcher, but it's a beautiful campus, great school, and close to home.  

Also, Rypel is a big star here, but nationally the field is VERY crowded at 197.  It's perhaps the deepest weight there is because there are so many potential recruits from 3 weight classes (182, 195, and 220).  And the top 10 schools will only be in on a top-of-the-line recruit every couple years.  So you're talking about maybe 5 guys being truly hotly pursued by the top 10 schools as a future 197 starter each year.  Rypel is probably in the next group of 5 to 10 guys just a tick lower who are perceived to be the right kind of guys for schools 11-30 in the country.  If he thinks IU can get back into the top 25 soon with their young talent and he likes the idea of joining a couple Cathedral buddies and an LN buddy--why not?

Edited by maligned

If you are wrestling in the Big 10 you are wrestling with the best week-in week-out. It doesn't matter if you go to IU Nebraska or Uof I you wrestle the best. As for Blake I'm glad he went to IU and we now have some homegrown talent there. I like Iowa State but I'd rather root for my Hoosiers just like b-ball. They've actually have done a pretty good job recruiting the last 3 years. Fletcher Miller, G Pep, Cash.....

Thanks maligned! I saw Vinny was back at IU but didn't see Bernard. Good for both guys I'm glad I get to watch them. The reason I thought was weird was early on I thought red was leaning to penn state hard and figured rypel go to a "better" program. But with those Indy kids at IU and maligned good point on '97's it makes sense

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.