Eastern Indiana Wrestling????

coachi123

Can anyone in the eastern Indiana area explain the current scheduling for jr high wrestling. Why can it be so different then the northern part of the state. Or why the jr high basketball goes from November to February, but jr high wrestling goes for 5 weeks?(last of February to third week of march)

I've have been a coach in this area for 19 years now. I have battled with AD s about this issue, with no worry to them. It seems for this area if its not making money then it's no worth to the kids in the community.

Eastern Indiana will always have some good hardworking individuals, but as a team they are far and in between. No jr high kid in this area will ever get to experience Folkstyle state because of the schedule.

Not sure what one coach can do, but several together could make a change. If anyone in the area has any ideas or input, I would love to hear it.

Jerry

Jr. High weight classes and class wrestling go hand in hand, it's all about the kids man....

I think giving teams the opportunity to wrestle multiple kids in a weight class is the answer, not "86" weight classes.

Regardless, I agree, East Indiana's middle school wrestling schedule is troublesome due to the overlapping of the ISWA schedule. 

The benefit that I have noticed, for small schools, is that it gives the opportunity for kids to try both basketball and wrestling. 

Dealing with ADs and schools to create a deeper schedule sounds like a uphill battle.  Good luck to you on that. It may involve you trying to schedule teams from farther out or across the boarder to expand your schedule and then hope other area schools feel they are getting behind and follow suite.  Obviously this would involve a AD, principal, or Superintendent helping support the idea.

For a few years now, I've been interested in having a uniformed set of Middle School weights that most of the state would be willing to follow.  The headache of dealing with that issue alone when it comes to communicating with ADs and lay coaches is a pain in the butt when coaches should be focusing on wrestling.  Seems an easy enough fix if the right people would push the matter along, but it seems that area of things isn't quite a priority enough yet.  So, if that simple fix that could a solve many headaches isn't being moved along I'd venture to guess getting the support in the East for your issue maybe a harder sell. 

I appreciate the replies.

Having any kind of set weight classes for eastern indiana would not work. Right now only 2 or 3 teams across 3 counties have a full team. And the basketball games overlapping the season makes the all around athlete choose without ever having time to develop into a wrestler.

The Wayne co jr high wrestling tourney has been on the same date since at least 1997. Now there is a jr co basketball tourney the same day. Athletes or wrestlers that played basketball now have to skip/choose/or be told what to choose? I know that one co schools jr high wrestling season last 5 weeks!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.