World Championships

julio

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Russian crushes Gomez.  So it's Reece vs. Iran in the quarters, winner gets the Russian in the semi's.  I don't think the Iranian can beat the Russian if Reece were to lose and hope to be brought back into the repechage (wrestleback), so I really think it's a must-win for Reece now if he's going to medal.

In the other two weights today, Keith Gavin has been eliminated and Tervel Dlagnev is into the semi's for us at heavyweight.  Dlagnev just avenged his bronze medal match loss from the Olympics last year against an Iranian. 

Reece up shortly in the quarters.  Again, the link is here: http://www.themat.tv/2013/09/2013-world-championships-live-stream/

I will say this...the new rules are definitely better. Still think push outs are stupid but other than that it was fun to watch...not so sure on the bigger guys yet only watched tervels match.

Tervel's match was pretty shoddy since both guys had wrestled 15 minutes earlier.  A lot of the heavyweight matches are much more exciting in terms of scrambles.

Not surprisingly, the Iranian came back to earn bronze.  Too bad for Reece.  He was right there.

Dlagnev's bronze medal match will be at about 2:20pm at the link I posted in a couple posts above, if anyone is interested.

Dlagnev loses his 3rd consecutive bronze medal match at the world or olympic level.  Bummer for him.  5th is a good accomplishment at the world level--but 3 in a row is tough to swallow.  He ends up losing to the eventual champ and then to the pre-tournament #1 in the world.

After 6 men's freestyle weights, two 5ths are our best finishes.  No medals.

Jordan Burroughs rounds things out for us tomorrow and he is of course the favorite for gold.  Women's competition also begins tomorrow.

It don't think it's the best Burroughs has ever looked but a tech fall none the less.  He is so insanely quick.  His instincts and reactions speed blows me away every time I see him.  Speed, power, smarts.  He's the perfect wrestler.

Looks like his opponents are in super defensive mode and that keeps Burroughs from getting going early on.  After he busts out the first takedown it seems to open up from there.

I really starting to disagree with this 15 minute rule... Especially at the this level of wrestling.  Jordan is going to stop onto the mat at exactly 15 minutes.  How does everyone else feel?

They could easily do 30-45 minutes...if FILA didn't start wrestling at 1pm!

So at 1pm, Burroughs for gold at men's 163lbs and Lampe and Anthony for bronze at women's 105.5lbs and 112lbs.  Easily the best of the 3 days so far for us.

Burroughs now 64-0 in international competition.  If he wins his 3rd gold today, he's only got 10 seasons left to match Karelin's unbeaten streak (13 seasons minus one final match).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.