tsirtis at the worlds?

charger.dad

He was put out by Peyman of Iran.  Peyman has been one of Iran's top young prospects and made several international trips.  He was actually featured in a Iranian Wrestling documentary that came out not to long ago.  It's a nice insight into there world if you feel like reading the subtitles. 

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/witness/2013/03/20133199280103811.html

He won two matches then dropped his quarter-final match. His opponent did not win in the semi-finals and thus he was eliminated.

Sounds like the need wrestle-backs at the Worlds, but that would probably make the tournament last too long.  ::)

Sounds like the need wrestle-backs at the Worlds, but that would probably make the tournament last too long.  ::)

Well they have the old school pull through method where if you lose to a finalist you get pulled back into the repechage(sp).  Of course they also have the double bronze which is about as popular as the pull through wrestle-backs.

Tsirtsis' final classification was 7th.  You could make an argument that his performance matched up favorably with one of the two 5th-place guys--but not against any of the other 6 above him.  He was beaten 8-2 by the Iranian, who then was losing before being stuck by a Georgian, who then got teched in the final by a Turk.  Of course you'd like to see how styles match up, but 7th place was about right according to his performance.

I personally thought the Iranian was the second best wrester in the tourney.  I thought he was up 3-2 to the kid from Georgia when he lost in a scramble situation and got pinned?  The Iranian was tough. Thought for sure Tsirtsis would get back in repechage after he lost, but give credit to the Georgia wrestler for getting the pin.

Tsirtsis scored right away but after that the Iranian really pushed the pace and Tsirtsis looked really tired in the second period.  It was 3-2 or 4-2 with about a minute left but Tsirtsis did not have much left.  The Turkish wrestler who won was a stud and will be on the senior level for Turkey in the next few years. 

Tsirtsis won his first two matches by tech in the first period.  I'll try to post his matches.  If The Iranian would have pulled Tsirtsis back through he would have most likely wrestled the Russian and then Georgian wrestler for bronze.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251049-2013-Junior-World-Championships/video/719957-Jr-World-FS-Tsirtsis-USA-tech-fall-Sadybaskov-KGZ-66-kg

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/719954-Jr-World-FS-Tsirtsis-USA-tech-fall-Vascan-MDA-66-kg

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/719952-Jr-World-FS-Yarahmadi-IRI-dec-Tsirtsis-USA-66-kg

Tsirtsis' final classification was 7th.  You could make an argument that his performance matched up favorably with one of the two 5th-place guys--but not against any of the other 6 above him.  He was beaten 8-2 by the Iranian, who then was losing before being stuck by a Georgian, who then got teched in the final by a Turk.  Of course you'd like to see how styles match up, but 7th place was about right according to his performance.

JT took the Iranian down in less than 30 seconds then appeared to gas badly. His explosivness was gone. He got pushed out twice. He's beaten better wrestlers than the Iranian.

I personally thought the Iranian was the second best wrester in the tourney.  I thought he was up 3-2 to the kid from Georgia when he lost in a scramble situation and got pinned?  The Iranian was tough. Thought for sure Tsirtsis would get back in repechage after he lost, but give credit to the Georgia wrestler for getting the pin.

Thanks for the clarification...I thought from the way scores were posted that the Georgian was up 6-3 before the fall (maybe that included exposure points he would have had if the fall hadn't been earned).

For comparison, the Japanese guy lost 8-5 and 7-4 to the Iranian and Georgian, respectively.  So seemingly he wrestled a little tougher than Jason as well.  Also, the Azerbaijani bronze medalist from the other side of the bracket at least scored a couple of times against the Turk, while the Georgian just got white-washed in the final.  Again, we're just making guesses--but my point all along is that an objective view would suggest Jason was slotted about where he deserved for his performance.  Thankfully, it's a very limited sample size and Jason can come back and prove it wasn't his top performance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.