New Freestyle Rules...Back to the Future

Y2CJ41

What do people think? Will freestyle get more representation again? I like these rules even though the period structure did grow on me.

• Cumulative score for the entire bout

• The structure of the match is for two three-minute periods

• A takedown is worth two points, making it more valuable than a point for the pushout or a penalty point.

• There is a difference in what a technical fall will be. In freestyle, it will be a difference of 10 points, while in Greco-Roman, it will be a difference of seven points.

• There will be separation of returning athletes from the previous World Championships, although it has not yet been determined if it will be just the two top two athletes or as many as four athletes.

In freestyle, the first passivity call will be awarded with a verbal warning. In the second instance of a passivity call, a 30-second clock will begin. If no athlete scores in that 30 seconds, a caution and a point will be awarded to the opponent of the passive athlete. In addition, if no athlete scores in the first two minutes of a period, referees must select one of the wrestlers as passive. In this situation, the passive wrestler must score within 30 seconds or the opponent receives a point.

Full article

http://www.themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=26478

The way passivity was called in the late 70's when I was doing freestyle was pretty clear to me.  If you stepped backwards without contact or if you went back instead of circling when engaged in the standing position it was passivity and refs were quick to call it.  Granted it will open up a lot more throws due to the pushing, but hey we want excitement right  ;D

it looks like a step in the right direction but I think the passive  rules suck. putting too much interpretation into the refs hands.  it leaves too much room for a bias opinion. 

I think the shot clock thing is a great idea and while you "punish" the wrestler who is being passive they are not being punished by points directly.  Many people did not like that passivity was taken out of freestyle and greco which led to a much better way for the official to interject without putting points on the board and much more potent than the token passivity/stall call.

I think thats fine....its the If no one scores in 2 min. Honestly I dont think this will happen that often but when it does it comes to an official choice on who was passive....than the other wrestler has 30 seconds to be just as passive to recieve a point...seems counter productive, unless I am reading it wrong

This is one area I am curious about personally.

What if the official deems red to be passive and puts him on the clock, then 15 seconds in deems blue passive. Can both wrestlers be on the clock at the same time? Also what will happen if the official deems a wrestler to be passive with less than 30 seconds left in the period or match?

I do like this better than folkstyle where if a kid is dinged for stalling they will just dive at a leg and the ref will be off his back for 30 seconds.  This puts the pressure on the wrestler to do something that will score him points rather than to stave off another call. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.