Indiana Guys wrestling in the Big Ten

For those who were able to attend Big Tens this past weekend, which Indiana kid was the most impressive?

IU:

Alonzo Shepherd: tough weight class, and being a true freshman, things were stacked against him

Cheney Dale: Arguably the deepest weight at big tens, wide open which was seen as Logan Storley (ranked #1) got 7th place

Alex Gregory: Dropped first match against kid who finished second, lost to Pearsall 6-4 in consolations, very good wrestling for a kid who entered the tournament without many wins, if he stays healthy and in the IU lineup he could be a force to reckon with in the future

Adam Chalfant: Where to begin, he lost a match in high school semi state for locking his hands too many times, now he looks as though he could be an AA this year and if not, definitely next year. Has improved vastly, and is one of the few heavyweights that is fun to watch, he scored 16 points in the win for his 5th place match.

Purdue:

Camden Eppert: Have seen him wrestle a few times in the big tens now, and there has not been any sign of improvement, granted, 125 is a stacked weight class, Eppert had a great chance at a win for 7th place against Duca of IU, but lost. Great kid and incredible worker, would have liked to seen him fair better at big tens

Cashe Quiroga: I remember watching your AA showing at NCAA, very impressive, but what has happened? Record showed he did not wrestle many matches this year, was this part of this issue with his 0-2 showing at Big Tens, I hope someone has insight because I would like to know if there is more to the Cashe story.

Brandon Nelsen: My personal vote for the most impressive Indiana native this weekend, wrestled Stieber incredibly tough, and even though he dropped his 3rd place match against Dardanes, I would not be surprised if he is AA status at NCAA's this year. Hard work pays off, he is a testament to that

Tommy Churchard: After a long career, it has come to end it appears, would have liked for him to have seen more success while he was at Purdue

Pat Robinson: Tough weight, could have a good career

Chad Welch: Another conversation in another thread, don't care to argue, he had a huge upset in the toughest weight class at Big Tens, and is going to have a very bright future for Purdue.

Kyle Mosier: The hate-to-lose attitude is what you need in wrestling, sorry to see he was up a weight, as this kid has potential to be a decent Big ten wrestler

Braden Atwood: Not the finish that he was wanting, especially being seeded 5th, but he is going to do very well in the next year or two, another testament that hard work does pay off

Alex White: Tough weekend, but things will pay off for him in the end

Overall, these two Universities attract most of our Indiana guys, and it is rewarding to see them doing well, especially in the hardest conference in the nation. Of these guys, which one has the best chance at AA status at NCAA's?

I wasn't able to watch all of the wrestlers online but  I thought a few of the younger guys who were thrown in IU's line up to fill some spots at least went down trying to scrap out what they could.  Hopefully that experience and the new Asst. Coaching staff will help them in later years.  Purdue was somewhat of a rollercoaster with both some good and bad moments with their squad.  They ended up with a handful of qualifiers, but a few of their top guys must now hoping the wild-card comes through for them.  It looked like Alex Gregory from IU and Brandon Nelson for PU definitely got a few peoples attention with some solid wrestling against a few tough opponents this weekend.

Yeah the new assistants for IU, Leblanc and Simmons, are great coaches, and they will help vastly. Simmons was a beast on top, and I am sure he will help in that aspect a lot. Indiana's younger guys also impressed me, not going down without a fight. Nelsen has the potential to do very well at NCAA's this year, it will be interesting how the brackets turn out and the draw he ends up with.

For me, Purdue's most impressive wrestler from Indiana was Welch.  I know there were others that placed higher and won more matches, but as true freshman his poise and mental toughness was impressive.  When he was warming up it seemed as if he had NO FEAR in his eyes only determination and to come away with 2 victories at this level of a tournament and qualify for the NCAA's as a true freshman in extremely impressive to me!

IU's Chalfant was their most impressive wrestler. I couldn't agree more, his match against the Michigan heavyweight should be used for a takedown clinic for young heavy's out there.  He was up by double digits and was still agressively trying to score a takedown with 10 seconds left in that match. It was really something.  He is a great kid and is really fun to talk to about his love for the sport.  Definitely one of the hardest working heavy's I've seen.  I am really excited to watch him next year.  I would have liked to see him wrestle Iowa's Telford again with the same intensity he had in the match against the Michigan kid.  I believe Adam wins that one. 

Chad took a redshirt last year, so he is not a true freshman, regardless a freshman and very impressive. As for Chalfant, I agree, he wrestled 100% better against UofM kid than he did against Telford. It is amazing to see how hard work pays off for our state's kids, and the support that they receive from fans. Makes me proud to be from Indiana, and affiliated with Indiana wrestling.

Not sure how 174# could be seen as the toughest weight classes at big tens... IMO 125#-141# were all far more stacked. With 133# and 141# the best...  Quiroga lost 9-5 to Ramos who imo is one of the 3-4 best talents in the Big Ten. Then Ramos gets a last second TD to beat Graf in the Semis. IMO all 3 will AA

Not sure how 174# could be seen as the toughest weight classes at big tens... IMO 125#-141# were all far more stacked. With 133# and 141# the best...  Quiroga lost 9-5 to Ramos who imo is one of the 3-4 best talents in the Big Ten. Then Ramos gets a last second TD to beat Graf in the Semis. IMO all 3 will AA

I'm not sure that 141 is among the strongest weights in the B1G?  One All-American finish between the entire field..

The question was, which Indiana kid looked the most impressive, not what the toughest weight class was. It is the Big Tens, every weight is tough and this subject could be argued for awhile. So, for those who were able to attend, or watch matches via online, which kid looked the best? More so, which Indiana kid was the best shot to AA?

I will take the under on that bet. 141 could be the weakest weight in the Big 10.

I thought 184 was the weakest. Ruth and Steinhaus are both animals. But they were both sleep walking until the final..

Are the wrestlers who go to IU and Purdue showing improvement at the same rate as wrestlers who go to other colleges? If not, is it coaching or are our top guys a notch below the rest when they enter college therefore they have to make quicker and bigger gains to just catch up?

Are the wrestlers who go to IU and Purdue showing improvement at the same rate as wrestlers who go to other colleges? If not, is it coaching or are our top guys a notch below the rest when they enter college therefore they have to make quicker and bigger gains to just catch up?

I was pleased with Purdue's progress but the Big Ten tournament was disapointing.    I think the big difference is in recruiting.  The Steibers, Ruth, Taylor, Nelson, etc are the top guys coming out of high school.  When was the last time Purdue or IU grabbed a top 10 recruit.  Definitely easier said then done, as I know the PU and IU coaches give it their best shot at some of these guys.    It would be nice to build around a stud like Taylor.  I think it would open more doors in the future.

With that said, Purdue placed top 4 in the dual competion, and they didnt have top four recruiting classes the last four years.

When was the last time Purdue or IU grabbed a top 10 recruit.  Definitely easier said then done, as I know the PU and IU coaches give it their best shot at some of these guys.    It would be nice to build around a stud like Taylor.  I think it would open more doors in the future.

IU had some studs to build around at one point.. Dubuque and then Angel... so they had NCAA Champions and multi time AA's in their room to help them recruit and build the program. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.