Glad I Didn't Have To Make The Call

headlock83

None of the pictures show a head buried in the middle of the chest.

None of the pictures show someone with one leg as control.

Show me where it says you only have to control one leg for a takedown.  Show me where it says your head can be buried in your opponent's chest for a takedown.

I said both legs are controlled as they are covered by walkers legs.  Look at the picture.  Molloy is on his back, and Walker is keeping him tight with his arm and his head so he doesn't spin out, thus where his head is at.

I've seen 100s of ways to finish a takedown.  So I don't have a picture of it and am not going spend anytime on the net looking for it.

You might have an argument on timing of control, but the position they ended up in is a takedown.

I said both legs are controlled as they are covered by walkers legs.  Look at the picture.  Molloy is on his back, and Walker is keeping him tight with his arm and his head so he doesn't spin out, thus where his head is at.

I've seen 100s of ways to finish a takedown.  So I don't have a picture of it and am not going spend anytime on the net looking for it.

You might have an argument on timing of control, but the position they ended up in is a takedown.

So you give a takedown when a guy "covers the legs" even though his opponent still has his head and arm locked in a headlock?

Timing is irrelevant.  Not a takedown.  As someone else posted, the official (one of the best) got caught up in the moment in my humble opinion.  The correct hand was raised.  Very impressive handling of the gutwrenching situation in my opinion...Walker is a class act.  If he is able to hit that fireman with about 10 seconds left...who knows!

You keep stating you just need to cover the legs for a takedown. No worries about head or have position. My hairline thanks you for retiring from reffing :)

I'm saying in this case he displayed control of his legs by covering them.  There's a lot of ways to control legs.  Putting you're arms around them like a double leg is not the only way.  I would figure that you run a wrestling website, you would have figured that one out by now. ;)

I have had my referee's license for four years. I know what a takedown is and this wasn't even close.  Walker would have needed about 3-5 more seconds or more to finish the takedown.  Just because he covered the legs means nothing.  Just like if someone has a whizzer or headlock if the other guy covers the legs it isn't a takedown.

Here are a couple other pictures.  I really don't know what to say if you think this is a takedown.

Frankie1.jpg

width=500 height=339http://www.indianamat.com/pictures/Frankie2.jpg[/img]

I have had my referee's license for four years. I know what a takedown is and this wasn't even close.  Walker would have needed about 3-5 more seconds or more to finish the takedown.  Just because he covered the legs means nothing.  Just like if someone has a whizzer or headlock if the other guy covers the legs it isn't a takedown.

Here are a couple other pictures.  I really don't know what to say if you think this is a takedown.

Frankie1.jpg

width=500 height=339http://www.indianamat.com/pictures/Frankie2.jpg[/img]

If you would have waited 3-5 more seconds assuming they had the time, you would have also missed the 3 point near fall as a result.    Any ref knows covering legs with a whizzer is not two and I'm trying to picture your headlock scenario which is irrelavent.  I'll change my point to Molloy's legs are trapped between Walkers legs giving Molloy's butt square on the mat on the mat giving him no where to go.  If walker had his left leg between Molloys legs, it would have gave him room to scoot out to his right and thus reason to wait to see if control is gained. 

Scholar,

Your persistence is honorable!  This is not a takedown.  It looks like Molloy could have held this for a while and probably gotten a stalemate...maybe not, Walker could have popped his head and worked his arm around the waist and scored with a little more time, but he did NOT have a takedown here.

If you would have waited 3-5 more seconds assuming they had the time, you would have also missed the 3 point near fall as a result.    Any ref knows covering legs with a whizzer is not two and I'm trying to picture your headlock scenario which is irrelavent.  I'll change my point to Molloy's legs are trapped between Walkers legs giving Molloy's butt square on the mat on the mat giving him no where to go.  If walker had his left leg between Molloys legs, it would have gave him room to scoot out to his right and thus reason to wait to see if control is gained. 

Nearfall? Don't you have to have control first?  Covering the legs doesn't mean squat when Molloy has his arm and head tied up. You can't even think about nearfall until his head pops out and by the looks of it, it will be a few seconds. 

Did you happen to ref at FloNationals in 2011?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.