Seeding Guidance

phscoach

So then why wrestle anyone head to head if it is better to just not wrestle anyone?

Sure if we want to take it to the extreme, wrestle all your guys 10 times aganist the easiest opponent and get a good seed.  At that point are you helping or hurting your team. You can't hide forever in the tournament series.

C should be over A from H2H.

A should be over B from win %.

B should be over C from win %.

How is A out?  He still holds a criteria over B.  In fact, it is the same criteria that B claims over C.  By denying A over B, aren't you invalidating your own argument for B being over C?  I would think that C moves above A based on criteria 1, but does that mean every other criteria advantage A has is irrelevant?  I think I know the answer, but I still like asking the question. 

And the Saga continues.     Criteria is prioritized with higher ones holding value over lower ones. 

6. Determination of seeded wrestlers is given in order of importance:

a. Head to head competition; (The wrestler with the most head to head wins gets the seed. If they have beaten each other an equal number of times, then the winner of the last match gets the seed.);

b. Record against common opponents;

c. Prior year IHSAA semi‐state quarterfinalist.

d. A contestant with the best overall record (winning percentage) who has wrestled at least 10 matches;

e. Farthest advancement in previous year IHSAA State Tournament Series;

f. Draw by lot / Coin toss.

Criteria is reset after determining each seed.

NOTE: A wrestler with less than ten (10) matches may not be seeded ahead of a wrestler with at least ten (10) matches and a winning record unless he/she meets criteria in a, b or c. A wrestler with a losing record may not be seeded unless he/she meets criteria a, b or c unless there are less than six (6) wrestlers in the bracket.

7. A seeded contestant shall have the same opportunity to draw for a bye as other contestants in his bracket.

what if :

A - has beat B and lost to B, has a better record then B, and more wins over common opponets then B, beat C, has a better record then C, but C has beat B.  So what it comes down to is A has beat both B&C, has a better record then both, has more wins against common opponets but lost to B the last time they wrestled by getting "caught"

what if :

A - has beat B and lost to B, has a better record then B, and more wins over common opponets then B, beat C, has a better record then C, but C has beat B.  So what it comes down to is A has beat both B&C, has a better record then both, has more wins against common opponets but lost to B the last time they wrestled by getting "caught"

And I have something similar (but not as complicated  ;).  Last week A beat B.  This week, C beat A and B beat C (in that order).  A (by fall) and B (by decision) both beat D, but C has not wrestled D.  No other common opponents, and no semi-state qualifiers.  Winning percentages - B 85%, A 80%, C 65%, D 70%.

Thoughts?

And I have something similar (but not as complicated  ;).  Last week A beat B.  This week, C beat A and B beat C (in that order).  A (by fall) and B (by decision) both beat D, but C has not wrestled D.  No other common opponents, and no semi-state qualifiers.  Winning percentages - B 85%, A 80%, C 65%, D 70%.

Thoughts?

1. B- Record...unless there are common opponents

2. C- Head to head

3. A- Head to head

4. D- Head to head and common opponents

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.