Reitz Vs. Mater Dei

hook and half

Where is that well-known wrestling prognosticator JonH?  He is strangely silent.  I have heard he is in an underground bunker with an IV of diet ski and bratwursts, sweating the details and trying to come up with a prediction. 

BlueBolt?  Wrestleman?  Anyone?  Anyone?

I predict this dual will be very close.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who does Reitz have in the line-up this year in each weight class?

Reitz as I can remember.

106 Ferguson

113 Kuhn

120 Davis

126 Todrank

132 Johns

138 Reese

145 Riegel

152 Vanhook

160 Wimpelberg

170 Shaw

182 Meyers

220 Hammond

Hwt Goodwin

Thats the last I can remember. There has been some wrestle offs since then.

Reitz as I can remember.

106 Ferguson

113 Kuhn

120 Davis

126 Todrank

132 Johns

138 Reese

145 Riegel

152 Vanhook

160 Wimpelberg

170 Shaw

182 Meyers

220 Hammond

Hwt Goodwin

Thats the last I can remember. There has been some wrestle offs since then.

MD wins 138 - 285 (I know they are forfieting a couple, but don't remember which - sorry) and 126.

Let's call it 9 - 5 MD (Once again FF's come into play so I am not sure)

Where is that well-known wrestling prognosticator JonH?  He is strangely silent.  I have heard he is in an underground bunker with an IV of diet ski and bratwursts, sweating the details and trying to come up with a prediction. 

BlueBolt?  Wrestleman?  Anyone?  Anyone?

I predict this dual will be very close.

I have yet to watch Reitz this year.  In fact, I've only watched a total of 2 hours of live wrestling - 1 hour of College at U of Indy watching Alex Johns and about an hour at the MD classic. 

I will have more input once the tournament series rolls around.  However, 9-5 MD or 8-6 MD is probably about right.  Reitz and MD have plenty of holes with MD having the best chance to fill them. 

It does seem as if Reitz is starting to put together some decent performances .......................so, a shocker here and there and some bonus points - you never know. 

I have yet to watch Reitz this year.   In fact, I've only watched a total of 2 hours of live wrestling - 1 hour of College at U of Indy watching Alex Johns and about an hour at the MD classic.   

I will have more input once the tournament series rolls around.  However, 9-5 MD or 8-6 MD is probably about right.   Reitz and MD have plenty of holes with MD having the best chance to fill them.   

It does seem as if Reitz is starting to put together some decent performances .......................so, a shocker here and there and some bonus points - you never know.   

you would like everyone to think that you aren't following....  I, for one, am not falling for that.

MD wins 138 - 285 (I know they are forfieting a couple, but don't remember which - sorry) and 126.

Let's call it 9 - 5 MD (Once again FF's come into play so I am not sure)

Reitz supposedly has a solid 113 or 120 backup behind Kuhn and Davis and could shift the lineup around for match ups and to fill in some weak spots. Would be gutsy but wouldn't be the first time it happened. They did it at Harrison 10 way and the back up had a solid decision at 120 while everyone else bumped up. Could make for a few surprise matches. More than likely not going to happen but with this odd year in these two programs who knows. 

Reitz supposedly has a solid 113 or 120 backup behind Kuhn and Davis and could shift the lineup around for match ups and to fill in some weak spots. Would be gutsy but wouldn't be the first time it happened. They did it at Harrison 10 way and the back up had a solid decision at 120 while everyone else bumped up. Could make for a few surprise matches. More than likely not going to happen but with this odd year in these two programs who knows. 

So you are saying you would bump the kids that have a shot at winning their matches, at their normal weight classes, and bump them up into a situation where they are not only giving weight, but wrestling a program like Mater Dei?  And then replacing them with kids, who might be tough but haven't broken the line up in your room, to face kids who are starters in Mater Dei's room?

The smart play is to wrestle what you brung...but that was my way of thinking all the years I coached.

So you are saying you would bump the kids that have a shot at winning their matches, at their normal weight classes, and bump them up into a situation where they are not only giving weight, but wrestling a program like Mater Dei?   And then replacing them with kids, who might be tough but haven't broken the line up in your room, to face kids who are starters in Mater Dei's room?

The smart play is to wrestle what you brung...but that was my way of thinking all the years I coached.

I never said they were going to do it but if you think there isn't 2-3 kids on either of these teams that could bump up and win then you have not been around wrestling much. I clearly said I did not think it was going to happen. This is just an odd year for both programs and I wouldn't be shocked if either team got creative with the line up.

All of this talk about kids bumping up has got me really thinking.  Who could bump up and win and if they did would it bump too many kids around and cause 2 or 3 losses to get maybe one win?  If Reitz bumped Davis to 26 to wrestle Jordan could his replacement win at 20 and could Todrank win at 32?  For that matter could Davis beat Jourdan at 26?  Would moving Johns up to 38 make sense?  What kid would you then squeeze out of the lineup?  That's why I don't see it happening.  I don't think either team has a weak enough spot where you could throw a JV kid in and get a win and I think the chances of giving up multiple losses with kids out of their weight class is too great.  Anybody have a different opinion on it?  Who moves and where if you think someone might? 

All of this talk about kids bumping up has got me really thinking.  Who could bump up and win and if they did would it bump too many kids around and cause 2 or 3 losses to get maybe one win?  If Reitz bumped Davis to 26 to wrestle Jordan could his replacement win at 20 and could Todrank win at 32?  For that matter could Davis beat Jourdan at 26?  Would moving Johns up to 38 make sense?  What kid would you then squeeze out of the lineup?  That's why I don't see it happening.  I don't think either team has a weak enough spot where you could throw a JV kid in and get a win and I think the chances of giving up multiple losses with kids out of their weight class is too great.  Anybody have a different opinion on it?  Who moves and where if you think someone might? 

My point was it could benefit your team if you are going against a team that is on par with your squad in most weight classes.  If you have very solid kids in Classes 1 -4 with a good JV in a couple of the classes and your opponent is solid in 1 -4 and marginal in 5, then the bump may work.  This is not the case with Mater Dei from the Reitz perspective.  Not sure who MD has at 132, but you would most likely be sending Johns into a match that decreases his odds in winning, as well as possibly sacrificing 120 where you currently have a good shot of winning if left alone.

As it stands now, The most likely wins for Reitz are from 106 - 126.  Nothing is set in stone, but taking your best chances at winning and stretching to possibly win at 132 and 138 are not exactly strong bets.

Not degrading the kids.  Reitz will come out and perform I am sure.  But MD's line up is tough through the middle and 285.  I think it's a dual that you wrestle the guys you know are going to perform at the weights you have seen them in all year.  Keeping in mind that Conference is right around the corner also, and seeding there is important there for their outcome.

If Reitz is anywhere close to making this duel exciting ill be blown away

Historically, this match is exciting regardless of the final score.  I know it has been for the past 18 years that I've been going.  The attendance is typically one of top totals in the state and would surpass 95% of college duals.

Mater Dei wins 36-21.  A crowded house on the Hill; both schools had a large, raucous crowd.

For this long and contentious rivalry, this match had qualities of its own.  Mater Dei jumps out to a 24-0 lead, but Reitz was unfazed.  Reitz's HWT comes up with a pin, and ignites their crowd and bench.  Reitz proceeds to win the next two matches and looked like were poised to make a run.  Mater Dei wins three of the last four to ice it.

Reitz started seven seniors while Mater Dei started eight freshmen and sophomores.

Five total pins for the match, an unusually high total.

Five matches were considered "swing", with Mater Dei winning four.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.