When to start cutting weight?

Hide N Seek

I know i use to have a month before I would wrestle when our hydration test was I knew that if I was about 10 pounds over id be able to make the weight by then. I guess that makes me qwant to say you need to know what you want to wrestle, and how long you have between test and competition...figure out what you have to be to wrestle your weight and go from there

My son has not started to cut, he is trying to get a little stronger before starting to get to his wrestling weight. 

He thought he was a little weaker last year than he could have been. 

But even eating VERY well he has dropped nearly 4 pounds since the start of conditioning, over two this week alone.

Based on his BF and hydration test he is already within 3-4 pounds of his target weight but he kept very active this Fall and does not have a lot to lose.

If you are doing any real cutting, now would be a good time to start.  Dropping 2-3 pounds a week over the next few weeks will certainly be better for you than trying to drop 10-12 in just a couple of weeks or less.  Your body needs time to adjust to living at the lower weight.

I read a weight-loss article one time that likened your body's weight to a thermostat.  If you steadily lose weight over time, then hold that weight for a couple weeks, your body will "reset its thermostat" to the new weight, and you won't have to try nearly as hard to maintain it.  Always seemed like that was the case, but it somehow made me feel better to know there was an actual study to back it up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.