Coaches Association. Coaches Only please

Jake Riesen

I know my thoughts, but what are the current coaches thoughts on how the organization has been run in recent weeks.  With the addition of the newsletter and the new classed team state it seems that the association is taking big steps to try and make significant strides for the wrestling community.  Do you enjoy the newsletter?  Do you like the direction the team state is heading in?  What changes would you like to see done?  Will you become a member?

I have a beef that Y2 also shares that I want to bring up right now on here.  Signing up for the association is a pain in the butt.  You have to mail in everything or directly show up to a meeting.  If we do not have plans to have an online form could we at least send preregistration forms with regional reps to the regionals every year?  Why should the coaches have to actively seek out the association?  The association needs the coaches a lot more then the coaches need the association and I think this is one area you could work forward on.  Speaking of that can someone from the asssociation get on this post and give some information on the easiest way to sign up?  Seems like a great time to grow interest, with all the big changes taking place.

I encourage everyone to go to the fall clinic that being said sometimes coaches are unable to make the scheduled date for a variety of reasons.  I guess I just hope in the future we can look into ways to make it a touch simpler to sign up.  No huge complaint with the organization, but if you want more people on board it would be nice to make it a touch easier to sign up. 

every coach is mailed a fall clinic form and a IHSWCA registration form at start of year.  So worst case you can't come to clinic, fill out app that was sent for the IHSWCA membership include a check, and return it.  You are now a member.

Fair enough I'm just trying to do some free advertising for the association.  I think the numbers could be huge this year and just did not want to make the coaches wait.  It seems like there is a lot of appeal for the association for the first time in a long time and a lot of that has to do with the hard work the current members are putting in.  So sorry if I am stepping on any toes just throwing the feelers out there to see if the coaches are on board.  3 months ago I would have been the associations worst enemy today I consider myself one of its biggest allies.

I do not understand what is so hard about filling out a form and mailing it in?  Would it be nice to have an online form, yes.  But should taking a few minutes to complete a form, place it in an envelope, and mail it in stop someone from becoming a member? This just seems like a very small issue in the grand scheme of everything.

Yeah and I have stated that this is not a huge complaint previously on this post.  I guess I am just looking to always better the association, and I believe you do loose some members with the process.  It may not be hard or anything else, but if someone decided to sign up today and didn't have a form he would have to run through hoops to get on board.  I mean it may not be a deal breaker, but it certainly isn't helping the low turnout for the association in the past.  One example, when we had the big team state discussion I had coaches asking me how they could sign up to become a member of the association.  I had to ask because I was not sure.  When I found out I found that it could be quite a pain in the ass.  Again this is not a deal breaker for me, but it is something worth looking into in the future.  My suggestion is simple send the PDF to all the regional reps and have them hand it out at the team regionals.  Not everyone uses this site and not everyone knows what is going on with the coaches association and why it is important.  So if I am being a jerk by trying to improve something slightly flawed then I guess I am a jerk.  It still doesn't change the fact that only a handfull of coaches in the state could locate the PDF for sign ups. 

I do not understand what is so hard about filling out a form and mailing it in?  Would it be nice to have an online form, yes.  But should taking a few minutes to complete a form, place it in an envelope, and mail it in stop someone from becoming a member? This just seems like a very small issue in the grand scheme of everything.

I think the point is that only about 100 schools have a member that is in the association and looking at ways to make it a less cumbersome process is a positive step.  Im sure if your students can't solve for y, saying that you don't understand why they can't won't keep you employed very long.

So if I am being a jerk by trying to improve something slightly flawed then I guess I am a jerk. 

Not sure why this was added in your post....  I was simply stating that if we coaches want a better organization, then filling out a form and mailing it in shouldnt be too much to ask... and if it is too much too ask, then do coaches who think that way really want a better association???

I think the point is that only about 100 schools have a member that is in the association and looking at ways to make it a less cumbersome process is a positive step.  Im sure if your students can't solve for y, saying that you don't understand why they can't won't keep you employed very long.

gotta love teaching analogies..... 

For the record, I do love the idea of an online application!!!  I just think it is a lame excuse on a coaches part if he isnt a member because he has to complete a form. 

every coach is mailed a fall clinic form and a IHSWCA registration form at start of year.  So worst case you can't come to clinic, fill out app that was sent for the IHSWCA membership include a check, and return it.  You are now a member.

Is that mailed to their home address or to the school?

If you want a better organization you want to have more coaches plain and simple.  I think your attitude is exactly why the association lost team state in the first place.  Why start a big devide on such small issue?  Why complain about trying to progress forward a little?  WHY ACT LIKE UNIFORMED COACHES DON'T CARE?  Quit trying to devide the coaches in the state on small issues.  I want to unite all coaches and get it to where we have a serious say in what goes on in the state of Indiana wrestling.  

If you want a better organization you want to have more coaches plain and simple.  I think your attitude is exactly why the association lost team state in the first place.  Why start a big devide on such small issue?  Why complain about trying to progress forward a little?  WHY ACT LIKE UNIFORMED COACHES DON'T CARE?  Quit trying to devide the coaches in the state on small issues.  I want to unite all coaches and get it to where we have a serious say in what goes on in the state of Indiana wrestling.  

hahaha.... i guess if a person doesnt have the same complaints as you then they are the ones with a problem.  Nice job of attacking and blaming me for issues.  And when did you get to decide what is uniform and best?  Give me a break!! I said I am for an online form, just that it is a lame excuse for coaches to not be members because they have a form to fill out!!!!

My attitude lost team state?  Are you sure coaches not sending their varsity lineups, or teams forfeiting numerous matches had anything to do with that?  I loved the team series and was a proponent of it!!!!!!  But feel free to twist what was said and treat it like an attack or bad attitude.

I was actually on your side with the issue

For the record I am not a coach just an avid fan of Indiana wrestling.  That being said I think I have developed a little pull on this site.  I could fart on a post and 200 people would read it.  So maybe your barking up the wrong tree.  I don't care that you disagreed with me it was your statement

" if we coaches want a better organization, then filling out a form and mailing it in shouldnt be too much to ask... and if it is too much too ask, then do coaches who think that way really want a better association???"  

That to me is the attitude that got team state disbanded.  The attitude if your a coach and haven't signed up then your not worth trying to go after.  Good coaches want to Unite as many other coaches as possible.  Their is strength in numbers and when you don't care about that it shows me that you are going the same way that lead us to where we are now.  

Not sure why this was added in your post....  I was simply stating that if we coaches want a better organization, then filling out a form and mailing it in shouldnt be too much to ask... and if it is too much too ask, then do coaches who think that way really want a better association???

It is called adapting to today's society in which many people rarely use their checkbook.  It will take about 3 minutes at most to fill out an online form and submit a payment via PayPal.  To snail mail something, I have to print it out, find my checkbook, write a check, go scour the ends of the earth for a stamp, then drive by the post office in which I will probably forget about three times before I finally drop it off.

I prefer option A of filling out the form and paying via PayPal.

Couldn't disagree more with you NNHS.  The association is whatever you make it.  If you want to be very involved you can make some great improvements.  If you want to sit back and just get academic all state honors for your wrestlers then thats great too.  They have also started an awsome newsletter for members.  There is a reason for everyone to become part of the association.  The key is letting them know how you feel.  We are not ALL working together to better the sport right now, but we have made some significant strides and it is the perfect time to join the organization.  The IHSAA has opened itup a bit and it is the perfect time to strengthen the association.

Couldn't disagree more with you NNHS.  The association is whatever you make it.  If you want to be very involved you can make some great improvements.  If you want to sit back and just get academic all state honors for your wrestlers then thats great too.  They have also started an awsome newsletter for members.  There is a reason for everyone to become part of the association.  The key is letting them know how you feel.  We are not ALL working together to better the sport right now, but we have made some significant strides and it is the perfect time to join the organization.  The IHSAA has opened itup a bit and it is the perfect time to strengthen the association.

Yes I told myself last year I was going to get more involved with the IHSWCA and I have been happy about how things have worked out.

Coach Skinner,

I just want to say I have been a fan of yours since creating a name on this board.  You are a leader and I respect the fact that you are open to opinions of others.  I also want you to know I am just throwing out ideas to better the association.  I want to see as close to 100% membership as possible.  Right now the association is starting to take huge strides in become a powerful organization.  Next years team state will be the most attended event besides individual state and I am sure of that.  That alone will show the demand for the team state that us as a state could never do before.  Then you add the newsletter and more transperency and I can see the association is working in the right direction.  Just keep up the good fight.  That being said I can gareentee you have people wanting to become members right now that are currently not members.  Why not have an easier way.  At least post a the PDF file for everyone to print out.  

Terry Tipton

100 post and still fighting, WHATS YOUR EXCUSE

What if we just put the information on a google doc. Does the ihswca take credit cards. If so then make it a spot on the google doc form and you can just charge from it. Then you would also have the email, address, and whatever else you need on a spreadsheet. Just an option. I do this with my practice pack gear and I have never had problems with it. You can still have the option of people mailing you checks, but at least you have the people that are interested, the form online, and a place for them to send their money if they choose to not use a credit card. Just an option.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.