Hamilton County Tournament ***Brackets Posted***

Mr Freeze

Saturday will be the 2nd Hamilton County Tournament.  Last year, this is the event that HSE won and put themselves in the group of top teams in the state.  Who are the top contenders in this event this coming weekend?  Teams to watch?  HSE is solid again, but Carmel, Fishers, and Westfield have certainly earned consideration for the title.

Correction:  HSE got 4th last year.

1st - Westfield, 2nd - Carmel, 3rd - Fishers, 4th - HSE, 5th - Noblesville, 6th - Hamilton Heights, 7th/8th - Sheridan/Guerin

This year, HSE has to be the favorite.  Westfield beat Fishers in a close dual, Fishers beat Noblesville in a close dual, and Fishers beat Carmel by a lot before they had football players back.  Should be another great tournament.

Any individual or team predictions?

State Ranked Wrestlers:

106- Jack Chastain #16 HSE

113- A.J. Belden #16 Westfield

145- John Tatom #9 HSE

160- Austin Neibarger #3 HSE, Krege #11 Carmel

170- M. Irick #5 HSE

182- L. Schaeffer #2 Westfield

195- M. Sliga #1 Fishers

In review of the brackets, It appears that HSE has the inside track on this year's Hamilton County Tourney.  It looks like it'll be a dogfight amongst Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville, and Westfield for the 1st-loser position.

No matter how the dominos fall, it should definately be fun to watch.

Good Luck to All and Go Millers!!

HSE is definitely the clear favorite.  We could see a few interesting matches in the semis.  Last year there were many surprises.  My guess:

1) HSE-----very good depth---potential 8 finalists---could place top 4 at 12-13 weights

2) Fishers---could have 6 finalists with sleepers at 112 and 171----look for 10-11 in top 4

3)  Westfield--  will be very close to Fishers----amount of 3/4th place finishers will determine who is second/ third

4)  Noblesville--good team depth---amount of finalist might keep them out of top 3-----12 capable of top 4

5) carmel---lacking overall team depth as compared to past----will be dangerous come sectional as youngsters gain experience

others with strong individuals ready to play spoilers---Hamilton Heights, Guerin, and Sheriden

Here are my picks...

Team - HSE with 8 champs

103 - Chastain HSE

113 - Toss up between Stansberry HSE vs. Belden Westfield

120 - Lile Fishers

126 - Watson HSE

132 - Snyder HSE

138 - Gunning Westfield

145 - Tatom HSE

152 - Bennett HSE (the finals against Specht will be the match of the tournament. rematch from Tuesday, Bennett won in OT 9-7)

160 - Neighbarger HSE (two undefeated state ranked wrestlers clash)

170 - Irick HSE (toughest weight class - top 6 seeds have a combined 5 losses)

182 - Schaeffer Westfield

195 - Sliga Fishers

220 - Snyder Fishers

285 - Janney HSE

Looks to be all HSE this year, however Fishers should come away with a few champs, and I don't think I'd ever look past the Shamrocks (they may pick up a lot of points in the consolations).  My predictions....

106-Chastain (HSE) pins his way through, Lee (F) 2nd place

113-Agree with Coach Humphrey....Stansberry (HSE) and Belden (W) could be a toss up in the finals

120-Lile (F) appears to be the clear favorite here, Leech (CA) 2nd

126-Watson (HSE) wins, however semifinal of Syverson (F) and Eldred (W) could be a good one

132-Another championship for HSE, Snyder is the class of the field.  Looks like Steele (W) could be his opponent in the finals

138-I'll take the winner of Gunning v. Marcuson as the champion, however hope to see a Blackhawk in the finals with Delph (S)

145-Tatom v. Winner of Wormuth/Rooney Semi....what a semifinal match in the bottom half...Tatom champion

152-Bennett (HSE) over Specht (N) in final

160-What a weight class...I'll take Neibarger (HSE) over Krege (CA)

170-Irick (HSE) over Sloderbeck (HH) in the finals

182-Schaeffer (W) over Eidson (S)

195-Sliga (F) wins however the semifinal bottom bracket appears to be a good one, DeLong v. Dixon

220-Noblesville get their first championship of the day.  Bond (N) over Snyder (F)

285-Porter (HH) overtime win over Janney (HSE)

Sliga beat Delong but it was alot more close than score, Im looking forward in seeing that one again, wonder if Sliga will win?

I've gotta assume you're being sarcastic. A major with Delong's only points being escapes is hardly close. Delong attempted 1 throw - got taken down. He took 1 shot and got the leg but didn't score. Once Sliga got past Delong's blocking, he scored easily. Want proof it wasn't close? 1 of the 5 escapes wasn't from him being let go and the crowd cheered like he had won the match. If not getting pinned makes a match "a lot more close than score" then that should continue to be his strategy.

Sarcastic, hardly. Sliga did do what he does best and took Delong down 6 times in 1-2 period. Delong choose bottom position in 2nd period, Sliga let Delong up 3 times, Delong escaped once. Delong was on top third, crowd went crazy went Sliga attemped to escape twice and was thrown to mat  hard. Delong's legs were in, did not see any "blocking". Sliga did do a reversal to make score 14-5. I am not taking away anything from Sliga, but it was a good match, and I do look forward in seeing them wrestle again.

This match was not close.  Delong wrestled well and will get better and closer, but is not going to get good enough this season.  The good thing for Delong is that he will see him all the way through in the state tournament from the opposite side of the bracket.  A lot of finals and semis could be in the future.  Delong may need to keep his eye on Dixon from HSE as that was a close match.  Those two are a distance away from Sliga.

From Coach Oneil's post on the results page...

Championship- Janney (HSE) dec Stevens (F) 8-5

3rd Place Match-Gilchrist (WE) pin Colter (CA) 4:29

5th Place Match-Eastman (N) pin Vondersaar (GC) 3:04

Porter (HH) came in at 12-0 at 285 and was the #2 seed but did not wrestle yesterday

From Coach Oneil's post on the results page...

Championship- Janney (HSE) dec Stevens (F) 8-5

3rd Place Match-Gilchrist (WE) pin Colter (CA) 4:29

5th Place Match-Eastman (N) pin Vondersaar (GC) 3:04

Porter (HH) came in at 12-0 at 285 and was the #2 seed but did not wrestle yesterday

Regardless if porter was their or not Janney and Stevens were the two best HWT's there.  Janney controlled the finals but Stevens definitely wrestled hard.  It will be fun to see Janney and Stevens wrestle at Sectionals, Conference, Regionals etc.

Ked- If it was a lot closer than the score says can you tell me what points should Delong have scored? Where there any shots he was in deep on or any times where he should have got a turn? From a spectators point of view it looked like Delong could easily been hit with some stalling calls. I don't want to take anything from Delong he did what he needed to do to keep it close, but returning someone to the mat really well doesn't score you any points.... as for the crowd going wild well isn't the home crowd going to cheer against the guy who beat their stud 8 times last year?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.