"First year senior" should make noise

polytropos

Looks like MD is picking up what should be a great addition:

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/dec/07/30pt-hed3-10-inches-p-herey-herey/

Dane Maurer, brother of 4-timer Blake, has decided to join the wrestling team this year, and Blake is back as an assistant. It will be interesting to see how he does. He is a heck of an athlete. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at Conseco. 

Two years ago he beat Brandenstein for a folkstyle state title.

So he is not starting from scratch. I don't see any Southern Indiana 195's ranked at this point. I wonder if he will face any high quality opponents early that could provide a "talent-gauge".

Anyone have any input on other 195's that will face Maurer during the season?

I believe Mater Dei goes to Missouri and usually matches up with Merrillville.  The Pirates have this young lad named Kourtney Berry who will provide a stiff test for him.  Also, Mater Dei has a solid schedule so he should be tested throughout the season.

I thought the same thing and checked into that. It looks like MD and Merriville are going to two different tournaments in St. Louis this year, unless one of the schools has their athletic calendar wrong. They usually met at the Gateway duals, but Merriville's website says they are going to the Christian Brothers HS tourney this year.

Glad to hear he's having some fun and wanting to help the team.  I think its great he's not letting the pressure of living up to his brother get to him, and actually went as far as to ask his brother to help him out.  Great story.

Hear at Batesville we have a sr. 285 that wrestled as a freshman and lost to Ben Jackson (SQ 2010) and Quistall (SQ2009) in sectionals placing 5th. He sat out the last 2 years and is back on the team. His first match back he lost to Uhls from Shelbyville, and pinned his next 5 matches. He's currently out with a shoulder injury but if he comes out he could have a good showing for his sr year. I think 195 at Jeffersonville has a couple of good ones for maurer to face.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.