"Strategic" aka Lung Injury Time-Outs

Y2CJ41

I like the idea of having a wrestler be required to show his inhaler with a medical form during weigh-ins. If this is not done, the wrestler cannot have a time-out and the match simply ends. This would avoid the "team inhaler" problem. I am not in favor of giving choice to opposing wrestler after first injury timeout. These are high school kids and they do occasionally get hurt and need to stop. To get this done would need a NFHS rule change. Do those posting here support this?

Dave Cloud

NFHS Rules Committee Member

it sounds to me like everyone supports it.......

The college rule is nice, but it sucks that a twisted ankle (something that legitimately kills for a minute but often wouldn't end a match) or an accidental head-buster from simultaneous shots could decide a close match when the one kid has to take a real timeout--then start on top instead of bottom or neutral.

What if first injury time choice was limited to only top or neutral unless the non-injured kid was already on bottom?

Or what if this rule was only implemented in the third period and overtime periods?

if its not serious wrestle through it...or if you need the time take it and suffer the consequences

if its not serious wrestle through it...or if you need the time take it and suffer the consequences

Yeah, we all get the mentality.  We're all wrestlers and love the passion behind the college rule.  I just meant practically that the rule will decide close matches in a situation with a legit accidental injury that incapacitates briefly, but can be fought through with a moment to recover (i.e. an ankle rolling out of socket).  It will never fly with high school rules makers.  That's why I suggested the idea of implementation in the 3rd period, for example.

'Fractured endurance' is the correct, medical term.

Second, how sad is it that we are expecting the referees (like teachers) to be responsible for enforcing ethics.  I had a family with pride that passed it on to me by my dad's foot, my mom's woodenspoon, and my brother's fists.  If the kid fakes, leave it up to the other guy to make him pay for it.  The referee can't be responsible for points, meet management, condition of the mat, hair, nails, skin, shave, style of uniform, cleanliness of the mat, sportsmanship of the fans/coaches/athletes, and be a doctor as well.  

As much as I think it would be nice to show proof of having an inhaler prescribed to your athletes, that would be a huge lawsuit.  Can you imagine a kid having an asthma attack during a match and not being allowed to use his inhaler because he didn't show it at weigh ins?  That wouldn't end well for anyone.

Kids could still take lung breaks with the rule, it would just be without the inhaler.

We can all complain about it but that'ss about all we can do. The college rule is going to affect close matches way too much but without it you'll always have these stories.

How many close matches do kids take injury time-outs?  Around here it is not a problem as of right now.

This has not been a problem in our area either.

I remember back in 1993 the injury timeout was an issue and the next year we had the rule change that on the 2nd timeout the opposing wrestler got choice.

Dave are you serious you want a doctors note for inhalers? I'm still trying to figure out the no tape on headgear rule. How many rules do we need?

If we have a rule for documentation for inhalers, whats next? contacts? we have had to stop a match for lost contacts before.

How about blindness? - prove it!

If someone is going to be unethical then they are going to be unethical. These people will always find a way to cheat the system. You can make a rule and they will find a way around it.

I have had kids who use an inhaler and have kids right now who use an inhaler. I would put their work ethic and conditioning up against anyone. Don't tell me they can't wrestle because they have asthma.

How big a problem is this really? I think all the headgear coming off because we can't tape it is a bigger issue.

'Fractured endurance' is the correct, medical term.

Second, how sad is it that we are expecting the referees (like teachers) to be responsible for enforcing ethics.  I had a family with pride that passed it on to me by my dad's foot, my mom's woodenspoon, and my brother's fists.  If the kid fakes, leave it up to the other guy to make him pay for it.  The referee can't be responsible for points, meet management, condition of the mat, hair, nails, skin, shave, style of uniform, cleanliness of the mat, sportsmanship of the fans/coaches/athletes, and be a doctor as well.  

Just make sure they don't have tape on their headgear though!!  (love that one, BIG deal in CA all of the sudden!!  HAHA)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.