Schools Closing- time for sectional realignment?

ENoblewrestling

This may have all ready been changed if a team got moved, so I apologize in advance if a team got moved that I have not heard about.

If nothing has changed from last year and with the closing in the past few years of Harding, and Elmhurst there will be a large difference in the number of teams entered into the two Fort Wayne sectionals.

If you look at the Fort Wayne Semi-state the breakdown of teams goes as follows

Elk. Memorial-8

Westview- 10

Carroll- 11

New Haven- 8

Peru-9

Oak Hill- 10

Jay County-9

Delta-10

This may not seem like a big difference but if you look at the numbers a kid entered into the New Haven sectional would have a 50% chance of making it to the regionals, while a kid entered into the Carroll sectional would have a 36% shot.  This is something that could be easily changed by simply moving one team  from Carroll to New Haven.  The travel would  be a minimal difference and the percents would change to New Haven 44%, Carroll 40 which is a much more even field.

I did not know if school closings have caused any other situation like this, or what the protocal is for sectional realignments  but it seems that this is something that the IHSAA needs to look into.

Actually I am just trying to add to the prestige of  the New Haven Sectional.

In all seriousness how many other regionals in the state have one sectional with eleven teams, and the other with eight?  Don?t you think this is something that the IHSAA could easily change but for whatever reason hasn?t?

Actually I am just trying to add to the prestige of  the New Haven Sectional.

In all seriousness how many other regionals in the state have one sectional with eleven teams, and the other with eight?  Don?t you think this is something that the IHSAA could easily change but for whatever reason hasn?t?

I have said this about class wrestling for years....they very easily could do it but for whatever reason dont.

In all seriousness how many other regionals in the state have one sectional with eleven teams, and the other with eight?   Don?t you think this is something that the IHSAA could easily change but for whatever reason hasn?t?

Zionsville Sect. & Crawfordsville Sect. feed into the North Mont Regional

Zionsville has 12 teams

Crawfordsville has 8 or 9

It's been this way for many years, and the IHSAA hasn't changed it.  Don't hold your breath waiting for them to change the allignment of the Ft Wayne sectionals.

This sectional went downhill once they threw Dekalb out of it.

Seriously though.  As far as the number of teams in a sectional goes they should attempt to be as even as possible.  The caliber of the teams will go up and down but the number of the teams should be consistent across the state. Also in my opinion Churubusco has always produced some good wrestling.  And it doesn't have seem to have gone down to much since hiring a Norwell grad.   ;D

HAHA!!  Less then 12 hours into opening day and Y2 and Kungus are beating the individual class wrestling drum.  No one is listening.  This guy had a serious question trying to better the sport and you two just shot that down.  When you change the subject and manipulate a question it lets your ignorance show through.  So back to the question at hand.  Greco coach and Busco wrestling both have examples of sectionals being uneven.  This solution should be as simple as moving the team closest to the other sectional.  Simple solutions can be the hardest to change with the IHSAA.  Good luck and keep up the good fight, and I hope the board can handle another year of class wrestling garbage being spewed out.  It seems like less and less people post on here every year and the site has become nothing more then a class vs non class blog.  First post of the year and I am already fired up.

Sorry ttipton, but I don't want to give my kids a false sense of hope in winning a Carroll sectional title if it is watered down.  Of our 11 state qualifiers, only five of them have won a sectional championship.  That shows you that the Carroll sectional has been a pretty tough sectional for this area of the state.  Now Mr. Riesen wants to water it down, which will just give a bunch of kids a false sense of hope that they are good wrestlers when they are not.  We don't want that do we?

Y2 your kind of a baby for a grown man let alone a coach.  Your behavior on this public forum is both disrespectful and it shows a distinct lack of class.  I am sorry the kids or the coaches don't want class individual state, but pouting like a child and mocking an honest question shows a big charecter flaw.  Grow up, you sound ignorant and its showing everyone just how stupid you can be.  Promote your class wrestling on a different post let the big boys handle the real discussions of how to help the state of wrestling in Indiana.

Really? REALLY?  Are you serious?  So this guy wants to water down my sectional and make it EASIER for kids to advance and that helps Indiana wrestling how?  This isn't about class wrestling it is about giving kids a false sense of hope when they advance to regional.  The Carroll sectional has dominated the New Haven sectional since they began the super sectionals.  I also LOVE the fact that every wrestler that advances to regional has a solid shot of going to semi-state just because they come from the Carroll sectional.  I also LOVE the fact that we don't get kids with losing records advancing to regional like New Haven does.  Why water it down?  What is the point of moving ONE team to a different sectional?  What good does it do?  Is this really a big issue that needs to be addressed?

About damn time you give an honest answer.  FYI I totally disagree with you, but thats ok you stayed on topic.  You came along way with that post.  I can't speak for anyone, but I would imagine this wastn't as much a gripe as it was a question.  It doesn't make sense to have 3 more teams in one sectional then another.  Whats wrong with having an even amount of teams per sectional. 

PS I would hope you would dominate the other sectional since you have an extra 42 entrants into sectionals.  I really don't think it is a huge issue either, but its early in the season and I think its something worth talking about.  I mean if we don't have topics like this then what does this board actually have.(answer- Nothing.)

About damn time you give an honest answer.  FYI I totally disagree with you, but thats ok you stayed on topic.  You came along way with that post.  I can't speak for anyone, but I would imagine this wastn't as much a gripe as it was a question.  It doesn't make sense to have 3 more teams in one sectional then another.  Whats wrong with having an even amount of teams per sectional.  

PS I would hope you would dominate the other sectional since you have an extra 42 entrants into sectionals.  I really don't think it is a huge issue either, but its early in the season and I think its something worth talking about.  I mean if we don't have topics like this then what does this board actually have.(answer- Nothing.)

Three more teams, but only 1400 more students.... Before the loss of Elmhurst and Harding it was pretty even in terms of students with New Haven most likely having an edge.

Whats your point with the ammount of students comment?  You should be looking at the ammount of entrants, thats all that matters.  One sectional has 11 entrants per weight class and the other only has 8.  Thats a big difference.  Maybe not a huge deal, but well worth talking about. 

Whats your point with the ammount of students comment?  You should be looking at the ammount of entrants, thats all that matters.  One sectional has 11 entrants per weight class and the other only has 8.  Thats a big difference.  Maybe not a huge deal, but well worth talking about. 

I guess I forgot that the number of students doesn't matter.  Silly me.

The size of the h.s. matters ZERO.  It's the number of entrants as ttipton points out.  Carroll does have more entrants in their sectional, pure and simple.  Size of school doesn't matter, y2, yes, silly you.

I guess you better tell that to the Elkhart Sectional who has 8 teams and the Westview Sectional that has 10 teams.  The Elkhart Sectional is always tougher.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.