2011 World Wrestling Championships- Reece Humphrey Competing

devildog47959

Women's summary:

2 bronze

2 fifths

(not sure about Olympic qualification, because I don't know if Olympics now use all the women's weights)

They don't use all the weights.  I believe I read somewhere on USA Wrestling that we have qualified 3 Olympic Women's weights (Grey was in a non-Olympic weight) out of the 4 weights.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the general process makes sense, but I'm not sure what they do in an Olympic Trial year.  I assume there is a big tournament or two on the schedule between the trials and the Olympics that will be required in a situation like Reece's from this past year.  But I don't know the specifics.  Also, someone was suggesting that Burroughs is automatically into the final of the trials without having to wrestle at US nationals or US open or whatever it is next year to earn the spot.  I don't know if that's true.  Anyway, I guess we'll find all of it out as we go.

No problem with the updates.  I live overseas where the event was happening mostly outside my work hours, and my wife was traveling this weekend so I was able to check updates more often than I would normally.

Also, someone was suggesting that Burroughs is automatically into the final of the trials without having to wrestle at US nationals or US open or whatever it is next year to earn the spot.  

I  don't think they are actually having a US Open for Men's Freestyle next year to decided Olympic Trial order.  I believe its just for Grec0 and Women's Freestyle.  I think it had something to do with the shortness of time and new multi-level qualification system (not same in other styles) that some may have to go through if the did do well at a major international event.  So they are using winning World's as the automatic qualification to the Team Trial finals in place of winning the US Open.  Not sure if winning other events like the Pan Am Games will allow the wrestler the same jump to the Trial finals.

That makes sense.  Burroughs deserves the position, and everyone will be geared up for the trials anyway, no matter their seeding.  With the new system for using world tournaments to help decide the qualifier, it's logical to take a slightly redundant step out of the system in a shorter Olympic year.

Yeah, it's been a crazy year for him.  He was talking about in his post-match interview how a year ago he was still rehabbing, just hoping to be able to come back at a high level for college wrestling again and maybe give Howe a challenge--not even thinking about international competition. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with all the international rules.  Can someone explain the scoring sequence at the end of the 1st in Burroughs's match against the Russian?  The score was 1-1 at the time with Burroughs having scored last.  Under 20 seconds to go in the period and the Russian shoots, gets a td, is awarded a point, the USA throws the brick, and then the Russian is awarded a second point.  The final for the period is 3-1 in favor of the Russian.  I don't understand what the thrid point in match was (the second in the sequence I'm describing).  Also what was the brick?  A challenge flag?

The sequence starts at the 2:15 mark.

Yes the "brick" or "cube" is basically a challenge flag asking for a video review. If you challenge and lose your opponent get an additional point. It's basically a preventative measure to ensure people do not challenge everything.  The challenge was if the Russian had enough control with Jordan actually down for the takedown to count. With 15sec and the refs no longer calling stalling it's worth throwing the "brick" or "cube"  since challenge or not you would lose the period if it's a takedown.

If I recall right if you challenge and win you get to keep the challenge "brick" or "cube" but if you lose the challenge you don't get t again for rest of the period.  But I'm not 100% on that one. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.