Indiana @ USA Wrestling Central Regionals

First off, I want to say that I thought Franklin did an awesome job of hosting this tournament!  

I'm not a professional Tournament Director but I thought everything ran smoothly.  There definitely were some studs there.  A few Indiana standouts I happened to notice were Steve Micic, Tommy Cash, Isaiah Bradley, Sean Mappes, Connor LeFever, Austin McClosky and several others.  This isn't even including the Indiana intermediates, novices, and schoolboys/girls that came out and gave people the business.  All in all, it was a pretty good three days, especially being able to check out the World Team Trials and getting a chance to see some buddies that came in from out of state I haven't seen in a while.

Nevertheless, Jordin Humphrey and I were discussing this issue and I wanted to get more insight from some of Indiana wrestling's other great minds on Indiana's representation, or lack of, this past weekend at the USA Wrestling Central Regionals.  Don't get me wrong, a congratulations is deserved again for the Indiana wrestlers who did come out and compete.  In regards to numbers, there were only 2 or 3 states that had more wrestlers competing at the event with Ohio and Illinois in full effect.  But I am not neccessarily talking numbers and 3rd or 4th is still disappointing to me when this prestigeous event was in our own back yard.  

Now I'm just getting back into the mix here in Indiana, so forgive me for my disappointment and ignorance.  But I remember the days when Team Indiana used to not only be at these Regional Tournaments, but would even travel, with stacked teams I might add, everywhere from Louisiana to Tennessee ("stacked teams" in the sense that they were loaded with state champs, runner-ups, etc.).  These trips were full of some of Indiana's best and the time I spent with those wrestlers and coaches undoubtedly added to my success on the mat, in life, and developed a HUGE sense of Indiana pride that I have carried across the country ever since.

But what has happened between then and now?  I've heard various reasons such as the location, the high cost of summer tournaments, the new influx of national duals and tournaments, an extended folkstyle season, etc.  But what really gives?  Could someone please help me not only better understand but 1) fill me in on some solutions or 2) let me know your take on if Indiana even wants a solution?  

Best wishes this summer and throughout the year!

Thanks!

I was also very disappointed in the number of Indiana Cadet & Junior wrestlers participating in the regionals. Ohio and Illinois both had a greater numbers than Indiana, followed by Michigan and Georgia. From memory, wrestlers from other states included: Wisconsin, Iowa, Tennessee, Kentucky, Oregon, Washington, New York, Connecticut, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina and West Virginia. It was a great opportunity for our wrestlers to experience some quality competition, prior to Fargo. Sadly, many of our best, some who live within spitting distance of the venue, were not there.  Next year the tournament moves to Michigan.

I see no reason, aside from cost, why someone wouldn't want to go if they're a good wrestler. If they want to wrestle in college at any division there's no reason not to go. Even if they just enjoy the sport and don't plan to wrestle in college, it's close and it's a great experience.

I know several college assistant coaches and a few head coaches made the trip Friday for the Junior World Trials.  I would say a few may have stuck around to see the action Saturday at least.  So if the event continues to be connected with Junior World it could be an opportunity to get at least some early expose with a few college programs.

It is pretty embarassing to see more Illinois and Ohio kids in the event than the home state.  There was some great competition for all Cadets and Juniors at this event.  This was a short drive and very inexpensive trip to see some top kids in the country.  I even heard of one wrestler that was told at 10pm on Friday that there were some great kids entering and came down and wrestled.  Kudos to him for taking up the challenge at the last minute.

Franklin had a great set up and ran a great tournament.  Great job to all those involved.

And the cost of this event was actually cheaper than the state tournament I believe.

Considering winning the event helps a wrestlers seeding at Fargo, I am surprsed not more of our Fargo bound wrestlers were not there.

I can tell you my son didn't participate due to Confirmation rehersal.  We have also found it difficult to find the extra money for much of anything except getting to work.  I hate to bring it up but sponsorship for the Natls. would help free up some money for some other tournamrnts.  Infact, sending your son to a college visit on your own account is another reason, due to the NCAA eligibility.  Those are a few reasons why we didn't attend. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.