Thoughts on state

navy80

Good-

Finals were awesome with great matches.  Plus Evansville got 7 champs which made the night even better. 

I feel bad for Stevenson since his two other teamates won titles.  Would have been nice to see Reese vs. Knura.  Boston is the real deal.  112 was the most stacked weight.  Raley earned his title.  Mckinly has a nasty headlock.  Tsirtsis makes everyone look bad.  Weekly was impressive.  Welch boys can ride. 

bad.

During the consolations I had no idea who was wrestling.  I couldnt understand the announcer very good. 

I think they could have made the finals a little better, the announcer could have emphasized who were returning state champs a litttle more. 

My thoughts on state its pretty simple two words.....Trey Reese

ALL 5 of the wrestlers that IC brought to state have had AMAZING seasons! Congrats Ethan and Trey! Aaron - We will hear great things from you next year @ U of I! Jake and Tyler have all had great seasons! Good job boys! You make this tiny town proud!

Overall pretty good experience. The only 2 bad things were obviously the food and drink prices.......we're at a high school event not a Professional event so come on. Additionally on Sat. I get there very early to make sure I got good seats. Like 4th in line from about 7:15...wait gates open and the rush begins. I get to my section and there are people trying to save whole rows. Thats ridiculous......make them get up and get there just like everyone else. So obviously after honoring a cpl of requests to people who were saving finally I said to heck with it and sat where I chose. Just think people need to realize  that others made that sacrifice to get there early also. Anyway other than that saw some great wrestling.

Well, it was fun but the officating was the absolute worse that I've seen for a state contest.  Several officals made bad calls, or missed calls or flatout weren't paying attention, especially during a match Friday night(no I didn't have a dog in the fight) but there was some very blatant unsportsman like conduct and the ref did nothing. I also witnessed the same ref count out for 5 sec near fall but only award 2 points instead of 3.  These are not the only examples, there are many many more.  I think the ISHAA needs to do some rethinking on the refs and how they chose them.

Good:

Great wrestling!  Trey Reese totally dominated - falls through the State title (I think, under the old format he would have earned the most points - and DESERVED to - WOW...impressive)....Ayersman's OT victory...getting my first look at Nathan Boston (real deal), Neal Molloy, Jake Lannert, Sims v. Welch (all Eville area) championship...Stein repeat...Eville SS sweeping 152-171

Freshmen that I'll be watching (impressive wrestling)...Micic (Hanover Central), Carroll (Yorktown), Corsaro (Cathedral)

Met great people from all over!  Loved talking to other fans who love it as much as I do.  After meeting some of the parents, I can tell why some of these boys are class acts, great support systems at home.

Bad:

Saw several missed calls...especially the non-award alot for a peterson...and at least 3x's I thought a defensive pin was occuring, but the refs didn't even seem to be paying attention! 

I too saw some bad sportsmanship...and was also wishing they would have mentioned some more of their academic honors, it's especially good for those young aspiring wrestlers watching to hear about the academic accomplishments as well as wrestling ones of those young men they are looking up to and hoping to be "just like" one day.

Although I thought there should have been a few more stalling calls, I thought the referees did a good job overall.  I guess I didn't particularly like the theactrics of one referee though.  I guess I think the wrestling is good enough to enjoy without  a referee having to do a side show to entertain us.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.