David Taylor

Regionrat1

I wasn't a believer in dat kid before. I always taught he was one of does kids dat his daddy wouldn't give him a happy meal growin up so he could wrassle in does weight classes where he can have 5 kids in his class. He sure proved me wrong. Man he has put two spankins on one of Indiana's finest wrassler. Hey he might be another Cael. All I can say dough he better not ventured up in Da maulers weight class !! I still think ole Drew is da man to beat even whit 1 legg !!

David Taylor, Penn State freshman ranked #2 in NCAA Div 1.  He teched Indiana's Paul Young 19-2 (4:06) in the finals of the Southern Scuffle in North Carolina at the end of December, and beat Young again 14-3 in a recent dual at Bloomington (2:44 riding time).  Amazing kid - now 25-0.  Only two losses in high school (St. Paris Graham, OH) and the only 4x winner of the Walsh Ironman.

What he does best is ride on top and turn - reminds me of Gene Mills, who pioneered the idea that it was possible and not bad technique to run a half while the opponent was still on his knees (with weight forward on top).  Mills was a world class wrestler in the late 70s and early 80s, robbed by a boycott (1980) and injury (1984) of Olympic Gold.

(Edited to correct error and add details.)

Taylor is a beast and Young did very little wrestling, no offense and lots of sitting still on bottom. Taylor was sloppy and pulled him into his own legs a couple times, I was a little surprised by that.

He didn't look like himself because Taylor is that good.  Young made it to the finals so there must not have been too much wrong with him.

I completely agree, Taylor is on a different level, but from what I've seen in the past from Young is a lot of movement and offense.  The first thing he did in this match was take step back and lower his arm.  He was very defensive in both matches I have heard.  I want to see a guy in the top ten actually go out and try to work some offense on Taylor.  The guy is incredible, but the best defense is an offense.  Maybe if Young was to attack it would slow the attacks of Taylor..

Just observations! 

I know it's putting the cart in front of the horse and all that, but Taylor could be a 4Xer. The way he puts up bonus points so easily against excellent wrestlers is phenomenal. He's toying with most of his opponents. We'll see if he can get by Fittery this year and possibly Howe in 1 or 2 years.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.