SIAC today at Castle

catmancool

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

possibly worse calls ever seen come on a point for faking an eye injury in the 125 match and idk what happened in the dowdy schroeder match just horrible inconsistant calls from the stripped guys its sad the reffs are scared to call the right calls hopefully have better reffs at sectional

I agree refs were inconsistent, but I didn't see anyone fake an eye injury.  I didn't see anything in the Schroeder/Dowdy match that I thought was that bad either.  I thought Welch could have been hit for stalling against VanHook. 

possibly worse calls ever seen come on a point for faking an eye injury in the 125 match and idk what happened in the dowdy schroeder match just horrible inconsistant calls from the stripped guys its sad the reffs are scared to call the right calls hopefully have better reffs at sectional

please tell me which call was bad in the Moody vs. Henderson match?....looked to me henderson simply out wrestled him in every single way

The eye poke penalty was an unfortunate way to  start a championship match in which the outcome would likely be decided by 1 or 2 points.  

Henderson wrestled his match but all points (5) were from Moody pushing the action.  1pt. penalty,  takedown when Moody got too high and the last takedown with time running out and Moody trying a throw down 3-2.

The potentially dangerous call with Moody working a reversal was very suspect also.  Not sure what was dangerous about it?  Looked like a typical switch?

Both are fine wrestlers and will likley see each other for the next few weeks depending upon where Greismer ends up.

I agree the refs were off their game today.   The 189 championship match really sums up the day.  It was painful to watch and propably took 20 minutes to complete.  

Nickster,

I remember the Reitz kid who always had the eye poke problem - it seemed to only happen against the Castle kid who would never take a shot.  ;)

jap1971 must not have watched the dowdy schroeder match dowdy was only one giving pressure whole match reff finally gets told by other reff that schroeder was stalling on other matches feet inbounds is all you need for take down dowdy had both feet in schroeder was on his butt facing him still no take down

welch stalled entire match

the eye injury deal idk wat to say bout that but moody took shot after shot and all henderson did was back up

the 140 match reitz boy got ripped on back points several times and so did alot of other kids

they need new reffs of that stuff there will cost someone there season

One thing that I have to give to the guys in stripes is that they are out there and  I am not.  Being a ref is not an easy task and I give those guys credit for being out there when most wouldn't dare wear the stripes.  However I was also very disappointed in the officiating.  I think that I would be ok if some of the call were more consistant.  For example,  Rueger should of had 3 back points (1st or 2nd period sorry can't remember) and the ref didn't give it to him and Lannert's shoulders broke 45 degrees.  Then not 30 seconds later Lannert's shoulders DID NOT break 45 degrees and Rueger got 2 back points.  I agree with JonH on the 189 match summing it up.  They took back points away from Sandwith then didn't give Boots an obvious takedown late in the third.  I hope the officiating gets a little more consistant over the next few weeks or like Justind283 said..... it may cost someone their season.

Some thoughts on the SIAC...

First, yes, the reffing was inconsistent at best, they seemed slow to react when kids were on their backs and very inconsistent when they were calling inbounds vs. out

@119, Van Hook deserved to get a stalling point from Welch, this match should have been battled in OT - can't wait to see these two match-up again

@ 125, the eye poke definitely changed the pace of the match, Moody didn't have that 1 point lead to play with, so he seemed at a loss as what to do after that...I have seen him wrestle several times this year already, and although I will say Moody is a good wrestler (great build for a 125 wrestler), his M.O. has been to get that escape and then circle and block against wrestlers evenly-matched with him (look at his matches, several are 1-0 wins)

@189, the reffing was horrible..backpoints before takedown, then no escape, but a takedown awarded...it took them forever to figure out where they went wrong...then a coach comes across from another mat, when there are already 2 Memorial coaches on the mat....it was crazy, but the removal of the 2 points was the correct call

Other thoughts....

The Welch Twins...so solid...not sure if anyone in this area can touch them - so skilled, only wish we could see them on the mat for longer periods of time...lol!

Central has got some solid wrestlers coming up...can't wait to see how they progress in the years to come...

Did you see how many Memorial wrestlers were going for 3rd & 4th?  I know a lot of them were Seniors, but several of them weren't...they came in 2nd at the JV Invite @ MD...and if Coughlin continues to be one of their coaches, they will only get better and better

MD Freshmen finished 2nd & 3rd @ SIAC...not too shabby...and I'm not sure what was going on @ 171, but I don't expect that match will go that way again or that the score will be that close

Just loved how Castle fans cheered for anyone wrestling against MD :)...some things never change!

Consistancy was the obvious shortfall yesterday. I seen wrestling stopped 3 maybe 4 times for an eye poke. Not one of those times did I see a point given. Suddenly there is a championship match and the ref popped a point immediately. Flagrent, intentional? No way. The ref who made the call is not very consistant at all. I have seen him have two bad tournaments this year. He rarely if ever gets down on the mat. He is in very poor position often and certainly does not like to have his calls challenged.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.