Elkhart Memorial vs Goshen last night.....

mikev

Elkhart Memorial does it again beating up on Goshen 42-23. Another very intense match as always. The Goshen head coach once again tried to sway things in his direction by making less than well thought out line up changes that did him absolutely no good. I also must add that I have never seen a coach throw fits like the Goshen head coach does. Very immature to say the least.

So what were the line-up changes?

MEMORIAL 41, GOSHEN 23

103 -- Codey Flickinger (M) pinned Scotty Huff 1:14.

112 -- Josh Bustos (G) maj. dec. Jermel Moody-Neukom 17-9.

119 -- Cyle Jaskolka (G) pinned 2:39.

125 -- Austin Maynard (G) dec. Max Kline IV 6-2.

130 -- Eric Blodgett (M) pinned Richie Sleppy 2:23.

135 -- Kris Roberts (M) pinned Josh Abbs 4:56.

140 -- Ryan Ntende (G) dec. Nick Vaughn 9-3.

145 -- Dantrell Goodman (M) dec. Travis Pickard 7-1.

152 -- Tommy Kendall (M) pinned Cody Smith 3:08.

160 -- Cam Matteson (M) pinned Skylar Stevens 3:54.

171 -- Troy Pickard (G) dec. Darren Vance 3-0.

189 -- Brandon Dillenback (G) maj. dec. Owen Sharp 9-0.

215 -- Chase Spears (M) dec. Brandon Daniels 10-9.

Hwt -- Will Henderson (M) pinned Hayden Schmucker 2:25.

Without knowing the intent of the lineup shift it is hard to tell if it was a success or not.  There were other matches that could have been ones that the coach counted on winning, such as the minor upset at 215.  The coach very well might have been hoping to get out of those two matches down three points instead of possibly being down six points.

Memorial had seven wins with six pins. That killed Goshen.

correction....we had 8 wins with 6 pins.....where did you go to school at jimmie?......let me guess....jimtown and then southwestern michigan?......musta been spending to much time partyin' and not working on your counting skills.......lol......

and the other big part of this is that goshen had 6 wins and only 1 pin......our guys that lost did a good job at staying off their backs......nick did a good job against # 9 ranked ntende.....never got put on his back and managed to keep it close......he told me afterwards that ntende is one strong young man though......very physical......

correction....we had 8 wins with 6 pins.....where did you go to school at jimmie?......let me guess....jimtown and then southwestern michigan?......musta been spending to much time partyin' and not working on your counting skills.......lol......

and the other big part of this is that goshen had 6 wins and only 1 pin......our guys that lost did a good job at staying off their backs......nick did a good job against # 9 ranked ntende.....never got put on his back and managed to keep it close......he told me afterwards that ntende is one strong young man though......very physical......

You caught me dude! The boys went last night and said Nick had a beast. I'll see you Saturday bud!

This result seems about right.  Goshen's not nearly as strong as last year.  Last year, Memorial stuck it to them in a dual that Goshen likely would have won 5 out of 10 times.  In my mind it was a much bigger deal last year.

This result seems about right.  Goshen's not nearly as strong as last year.  Last year, Memorial stuck it to them in a dual that Goshen likely would have won 5 out of 10 times.  In my mind it was a much bigger deal last year.

neither team is as strong as last year for sure....memorial is very young....2 seniors, 4 juniors and 8 sophmores......but they have alot of talent and will only get better over the next couple of years.....last year was a BIG deal for sure....i think memorial would have won 10 out of 10 times last year....we just flat out had a better team head to head.....this year though is a different story......this match was alot closer than the score indicated......memorial pulled off some big wins in clsoe match ups......but last year is over so that makes this year the bigger deal.....lol.......

neither team is as strong as last year for sure....memorial is very young....2 seniors, 4 juniors and 8 sophmores......but they have alot of talent and will only get better over the next couple of years.....last year was a BIG deal for sure....i think memorial would have won 10 out of 10 times last year....we just flat out had a better team head to head.....this year though is a different story......this match was alot closer than the score indicated......memorial pulled off some big wins in clsoe match ups......but last year is over so that makes this year the bigger deal.....lol.......

Goshen looked less than impressive and extremely out of shape in the 3rd, Memorial looked tougher than expected and aggressive as usual.

Goshen is young also with 2 seniors, 4 juniors,6 sophs,2 frosh...should be good matchups for NLC in years to come. The intensity was slacking a little  for GHS, but the goshen coach will get this young team going. He pushes the boys farther than they think possible, helps troubled kids get their life on track, and turns our boys into fine young MEN. Please don't judge the coach until you know the man. My son was involved in an auto accident while i was out of town and coach was the first to the hospital after a passerby called him. He is by their side  24/7, not just two hours a day. I believe Memorial started the line-up changes by moving 152 to 160???  Congrats to Memorial on a fine win...they showed up and were ready.

All wrestling coaches are passionate about their kids and their program. Jim is a very good coach and is passionate about his kids..Most wrestling coaches, if you do it long enough, should qualify for their doctorate in physchology, sociology, and dermatology! Being a wrestling coach sometimes is a thankless job. The time and effort that coaches put into kids in four seasons and in most cases 10,  is a remarkable amount of time. There is no other sport in which coaches work harder than wrestling coaches. Emotional bonds are built, and the desire to see your kids succeed is like no other. Its different as a wrestler.. as an individual, you deal with your loss. As a coach, you deal with every loss. That takes a toll on the emotion roller coaster.

All wrestling coaches are passionate about their kids and their program. Jim is a very good coach and is passionate about his kids..Most wrestling coaches, if you do it long enough, should qualify for their doctorate in physchology, sociology, and dermatology! Being a wrestling coach sometimes is a thankless job. The time and effort that coaches put into kids in four seasons and in most cases 10,  is a remarkable amount of time. There is no other sport in which coaches work harder than wrestling coaches. Emotional bonds are built, and the desire to see your kids succeed is like no other. Its different as a wrestler.. as an individual, you deal with your loss. As a coach, you deal with every loss. That takes a toll on the emotion roller coaster.

Very well said.

Goshen is young also with 2 seniors, 4 juniors,6 sophs,2 frosh...should be good matchups for NLC in years to come. The intensity was slacking a little  for GHS, but the goshen coach will get this young team going. He pushes the boys farther than they think possible, helps troubled kids get their life on track, and turns our boys into fine young MEN. Please don't judge the coach until you know the man. My son was involved in an auto accident while i was out of town and coach was the first to the hospital after a passerby called him. He is by their side  24/7, not just two hours a day. I believe Memorial started the line-up changes by moving 152 to 160???  Congrats to Memorial on a fine win...they showed up and were ready.

I agree that the Memeorial - Goshen matches for the forseeable next few years should be awesome. This was a very close match that could have easily swung the other way because of some extremely competitive matches. I'm sure the Goshen coach is a fine man outside the mat, but on the mat he leaves a little to be desired from the standpoint of how he acts towards  the officials and the other wrestlers. I have seen him many times turn his back on the other teams wretslers when they come in to shake his hand. And his antics are not what I would want my sons to think is the proper way to act. Seriously, if things don't go his way, he goes nuts at times.  Is he a good wrestling coach - he must be to have had the success he has had at Goshen. No one can dispute that. Did memorial shift the lineup first? Yes they did. I'm not saying that it's wrong to do that - it's what makes the difference sometimes in close matches. All I said was that what Pickard did didn't work out for him, but what Seltzer did, worked to a tee. can't wait for next years dual! i just wish they would move it to the end of the season like it ended up last year (which was becasue the original date got cancelled becasue of snow). Makes for a great end to the conference schedule.

Yes Memorial moved or 152 up to 160 to place our better wrestler against the Goshen coaches son. But what happened was our 152  weighed in as a 152 which allows him to wrestle up one class. Goshen's Pickard weighed in at 160 which also allows hm to move up to 171, so far so good. But the young man schedule to wrestle 171 weighing under 160 weighed in, but he did not report to weigh in as a 160 therefore he could not wrestle 160. So when memorial moved the 152 up Pickard switched wrestlers and had his 171 report at 160. If the memorial Coach would have felt like pushing the issue that switch would not have been allowed. The goal, I can assume, was to give up less then 6 at 160 and gain a pin at 171. However memorial won with a pin at 160 then the memorial JR who weighed in at 156 that night went three rounds and lost 3-0 to Pickard. so a net loss for Goshen. Had this been the other way Coach Pickard would have went nuts, stomped up and down not allowed it to happen. I had a friend of mine a wrestler from Jimtown who had never seen Caoch Pickard at a meet said he would be embarrassed by the way the Coach acted and would not ever think about letting his kids wrestle for a coach like that.

The whole lineup thing happened last year.  Seltzer and Pickard know the rules about weigh-ins and qualified weight.  Seltzer tried to move Corpe last year and the whole meet was stopped and eventually a phone call was made to Bobby Cox of the IHSAA before the meet resumed.  As for all the other stuff, winners win...

It's a good lesson for teams.  This rule has been in place for some time.  If you don't weigh in at a particular weight and that weight passes--sorry, you can't wrestle that class.  If a coach wants to wrestle a kid at 171 and he weighs 158, weigh him in with the 160s.  You can still list him on your planned lineup at 171 and dupe the opponent at the last minute.  There's no rule preventing him from bumping up to 171--just a rule that says once the 160 weigh in has passed, he can't weigh in to wrestle 160.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.