NEW Dream Team Member

Drooke

It appears as though I gave you some mis-information concerning Garcia's injury Y2.......    http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/?q=node/36987

2010 OSU Wrestling - Derek Garcia Recruiting Update (4/5)

Mon, 04/05/2010 - 14:02 ? buckeyewrestling

Ohio State Recruiting Class Grows to Two

Derek Garcia to delay enrolling at Ohio State until 2011

Kevin Schlosser; www.buckeyewrestling.com

Washington senior Derek Garcia will not be enrolling at Ohio State in the fall as expected. After working through a serious knee injury that ended his football season, Garcia returned to win his fourth Washington state title and was preparing for the Senior freestyle circuit when he learned that he was going to have a second surgery on his knee.

Derek originally signed his National Letter of Intent to attend school and wrestle at OSU in November 2009. Not expected to be able to wrestle until 2011 after talking to the coaches and his family he made the decision to delay attending Ohio State for one year.

?My knee had been bothering me for a little while and when I went in to get it checked out they discovered some problems that needed to be taken care of,? said Garcia when asked about the nature of the injury. ?It wasn?t like what happened in the fall.?

The injury changed a lot of things over the next year for Garcia. He had planned on wrestling at the Dream Team Classic, the 2010 US Open, and the Northern Plains Regional. Derek wanted to compete in as many Senior level events as he could and was going to try to make the US Senior Natonal Team or the Junior World Team before moving to Columbus. Now he will be dealing with his PCL.

While his plans and goals have not changed because of the surgery, the rehabilitation and time off the mat pushed everything back one calendar year. Garcia expressed disappointment about the delay but remained upbeat about the injury and rehab. He was optimistic that he will be 100% by the 2011 US Open and ready to step into the Ohio State starting line-up the following November.

?No one wants to have surgery but I am going to take this as an opportunity to get healthy and use the next year to get better and get ready for 2011,? said Garcia. ?It?s disappointing I won?t be able to wrestle in the fall, you have to make the best of it.?

Had Derek enrolled at Ohio State with this year?s freshmen class he likely would not be able to wrestle varsity for the Buckeyes until winter quarter. Garcia was probably going to redshirt next season but he could have competed for a spot in the lineup.

?After talking with the coaches and my family I think it was a mutual decision to wait a year and sign with Ohio State again in November,? responded Garcia. ?It was a change of plans but the coaches were pretty supportive and understanding of whatever I wanted to do.?

?(With the injury) I was probably going to redshirt so this gives me some flexibility down the road. By waiting the coaches gets a little more flexibility this year and they know I will be there and ready to go the next.?

When asked about the surgery and when he will be able to wrestle again he responded.

?We are going to try to schedule the surgery this week.?

?When I am going to be able to wrestle comes down to how my body responds. I probably won?t be cleared to wrestle until December,? offered Garcia. ?I?ll spend some time in Washington and will do a lot of my rehab at the (Olympic) Training Center.?

Buckeye fans should not worry about Garcia looking at any other schools.

?I am 100% committed to Ohio State. Right now the plan is to get things fixed, get healthy, get better, and be ready to wrestle for a national title in 2011,?asserted Garcia.

With a possibility of being cleared to wrestle late in 2010 he may be able to wrestle in a few college opens or at a tournament like the Midlands. If Derek isn?t able to get on the mats until 2011 look for him to make his return on the Senior freestyle circuit.

?I am going to listen to what the doctors and therapists say about competing. If I could wrestle at something like the Midlands that would be great, so would a freestyle tournament like the Dave Schultz,? assessed Garcia. ?A lot of things are on the radar but nothing has been decided. Its early but I think that it is safe to say that I will be training for the 2011 US Open no matter what.?

While rehabbing from the surgery he is expected to continue training at the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. Derek has spent most of the last two years there as a developmental athlete so the decision to return to Colorado should come as no surprise to anyone.

?I want to win NCAA titles and I want wrestle for Olympic Gold. Training for one goal is only going to help me achieve the other,? stated Derek in February after winning his fourth state title. ?I love freestyle but wrestling in college at Ohio State is just as important.?

Garcia turned down an invitation to compete at the Dapper Dan and was in Omaha this year to cheer on his future teammates.

?Being at the NCAA Tournament this year was a great experience. It had been awhile since I got to sit in the stands and watch that much wrestling. There were a lot of guys I haven?t got to see wrestle before. It really got me fired up about wrestling in college,? said Garcia.

Derek may not be wrestling for Ohio State until the 2011-2012 school year but that doesn?t mean people won?t know that he is a future Buckeye before then. Beyond the importance of friends and family Garcia recently got a new tattoo that makes a permanent statement of his priorities.

?I got God tattooed on my arm on my arm with the ?O? as the Ohio State ?Block O?,? offered Garcia. ?Sometimes you want to let people know what you stand for.?

The Impact on the Buckeyes

Giving his second verbal to the Ohio State, Derek Garcia becomes the second member of the 2011 recruiting class with Monroeville junior Hunter Stieber. Garcia will be released from his original National Letter of Intent and sign a second NLI in November 2010 to attend school at OSU and wrestle for the Buckeyes in 2011-2012. Stieber will sign his first National Letter of Intent in November as well.

As a freshman Garcia will be competing to replace Colt Sponseller in the starting lineup at 165 pounds while Stieber is expected to redshirt and then compete for a spot at 133 or 141 pounds his second year on campus.

The event Dream Team vs Illinois All-Star Dual can be viewed here....  http://illinoismatmen.payperlive.com/event/view/7947

USA 31 Illinois 15

112lbs Miko Villanueva 3rd State IL Dundee-crown, Il wins over Blake Thomas of Brentwood, TN 9-4.

HWT Michael McMullen of PA pinned Andrew Ellington of Edwardsville, IL 4th State Illinois

119lbs Corey Finch of AZ wins 8-4 over Illinois' Logan Arlis of Batavia, IL 3rd State Illinois

215lbs Trevor Rupp of Idaho dec. 3-1 overtime over Matt Dwyer of Hononegah, IL State Champ

125, Devin Carter of VA wins 13-7 over Matt Bystol of Libertyville, IL 5th IL State (match was tied in 3rd period, Bystol tried a roll and got caught on his back)

189lbs Mike Evans of Blair Academy wins. By Fall over Dan Santoro of Barrington, IL. 4th IL State at 171lbs 130lbs Keith Surber of O'Fallon IL State Champ over Frank Cagnina of New Jersey, 6-2.

171lbs Andy Spangler of IL 2nd State dec. Michael Duckworth of Indiana, 8-6.

135lbs Chris Dardanes of IL State Champ over Ryan Nieman of Michigan, 6-4.

160lbs Marshall Peppelman of PA over Joe Strocchia of IL at 2nd IL State 8-2.

140lbs Nick Dardanes of IL State Champ over Frankie Porras of Indiana 7-3

145lbs Dylan Alton of PA dec. over Joey Moorhouse of Marengo, IL 10-6. 2nd State AA IL

152lbs Andrew Alton PA dec. Demetrios Mitchell of Hersey, IL 22-13 2nd State IL

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.