What happens when sports get classed- Indianapolis Star article

So we should keep our "speacial institution" as you put it, even if it is at the sacrifice of the sport as a whole?

So you are saying we should get rid of our special institution even if it is at the sacrifice of the sport as a whole?

No I am saying[glow=red,2,300] if  [/glow] our "special institution" we have hurts the sport should we keep it?  I say no.

that is a big "if"....

I'm not sure this article is an accurate reflection of what a "class system" does to a sport.  If you look at basketball all around the US (whether there is a class system or not), I think the AAU/Elite Basketball teams are taking over because of the intense competition.  Like he said, these coaches are more like "agents" for the kids...it's all about making a buck off of some young kids talent.  Because of this, the NCAA made some new rules about recruiting, lowering the age of a "prospect" to 7th grade (see article: http://chronicle.com/article/Under-New-NCAA-Rule-7th-Grade/42251/).  I don't see a lot of $$$$ changing hands for wrestlers (it's not like basketball, with endorsements and the like waiting in the wings), and I think that's more of the point of the article, rather than how the class system failed.  Either way, I think this is a propoganda piece, one person's soap box. 

I am for keeping a single class, but I don't want to use faulty information to support that opinion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.