Reasons for a class system for team state

youngone

You are actually helping me to make the point that kids need more recognition so that they can wrestle at the next level.  More kids earning state recognition earlier will get them on a college's radar sooner.  That means they have more time to get grades or SAT scores where they need to be.  That means more time can be spent looking for the right college and not just the first one that talks to you.  In our current system very, very few semi-state qualifiers get noticed by DII or DIII schools.  There are numerous semi-state qualifiers that could flourish under a collegiate coaching staff and an increase in quality of wrestling partners, as I did myself. 

More kids need to realize earlier in their careers that collegiate wrestling is a viable option and as in your case it was almost too late.  The planets aligned for you to get your opportunity to wrestle at the next level, but not everyone is as lucky as you are. 

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the biggest reason for class wrestling is to allow more exposure to more individual wrestlers from colleges and universities. Having more state champions and multiple time placers and winners only helps the chances of kids being given scholarships and opportunities to wrestle at the next level. Who cares if there isnt a "true" champion if using a class system helps give more kids opportunities to go to college then good for that.

I like how we act like these D2 and D3 guys are overlooking indiana kids.  University of Indionapolis has all Indiana boys besides 6 wrestlers, Trine a border college has over 30 of there wrestlers being from Indiana.  Trine has several 1 time or less state qulifiers on there rosters and it makes your arguement look rediculous.  You whine about fake issues and I am tired of it.  Trine has 5 kids from peru on their roster.  There are not 5 two time staters from peru in the past 5 years.  Y2 makes up lies because he thinks were to lazy to look them up and I am tired of the bs. Truth is if the coaches get kids names out then they are looked at by d2 and d3 colleges.  If they don't then most D2 or D3's take it that the kid doesn't want to continue to college.  Indiana wrestlers are being looked at on all levels so quit being nieve. 

I have also studied data on multisport atheletes and it shows that Indiana has several wrestlers who also play several sports that compete at the highest levels.  There were 6 #1 ranked, 6 #2 ranked and roughly half of the top five.  That shows me that playing multiple sports has no correlation of being a great wrestler.  Y2 then will babble on about some bs that small schools still have more multiple sport wrestlers.  He can not comprehend the fact that kids win state championships every single year and play multiplesports.  He acts like small schools deal with it more even though the facts show that it hasn't hinderd productivity arround the state. 

26 more Indiana boys at wabash college.  How many kids before you admit that indiana wrestlers are being recruited heavily in state?  Thats one of the biggest myths you have thrown up about class wrestling.  Indiana Wrestlers get recruited by d2 and d3 schools all the time and you flat out lie about it.  If your not on the radar thats your own fault.  If your only a regional qualifier going into your senior year then it isn't real likely that your a  college level wrestler.  Many of the wrestlers on these teams are only semi state qualifiers.  Quit lying were tired of all your bs Y2.

the biggest reason for class wrestling is to allow more exposure to more individual wrestlers from colleges and universities. Having more state champions and multiple time placers and winners only helps the chances of kids being given scholarships and opportunities to wrestle at the next level. Who cares if there isnt a "true" champion if using a class system helps give more kids opportunities to go to college then good for that.

how?

just because a kid won the Class 2A or 3A title means he will not get more exposure?

Once again, i do not see how class wrestling equates to more exposure for wrestlers.  I could see how it might mean more wrestlers, but not more exposure of the "better" wrestlers to colleges.

how?

just because a kid won the Class 2A or 3A title means he will not get more exposure?

Once again, i do not see how class wrestling equates to more exposure for wrestlers.  I could see how it might mean more wrestlers, but not more exposure of the "better" wrestlers to colleges.

16 kids per weight class vs. 48 kids per weight class at one site=more exposure.

Why do big time D1 schools recruit fargo and not our state finals.  More kids are there, that means more exposure.

Not to mention that having some success at the state level will get this wrestlers exposure earlier in their careers.

Absolute lies.  All of our colleges are filled with former Indiana wrestlers.  We are getting enough exposure to fill the d2 and d3 schools with former indiana talent.  University of Indionapolis, Wabash College, Manchester College, and Trine I have researched and are all over 3/4 Indiana wrestlers.  Many of these wrestlers have only reached the semi state level.  It blows my mind the bs that Y2 and his chronies put on this board.  People take everything you guys say as fact.  Truth is its just propaganda.  You want to get your kids names out to smaller colleges, contact those colleges.  Its as simple as that.

Big Teague if your absolutly right D1 programs recruit at national tournements why wouldn't you.  Its a ton cheaper to send guys to a national tournement then to send them to every high school state championship.  It just makes sense.  That being said I would venture that Indiana and Purdue University recruits were arround conseco for our state tournement.  

Quit saying our wrestlers are not getting exposure.  The facts are all of our D2 and D3 schools are way more then the majority former Indiana wrestlers.  If you think they are getting the wrong wrestlers take that up with them.  

Why do big time D1 schools recruit fargo and not our state finals.  More kids are there, that means more exposure.

They go to fargo because of the LEVEL of competition, not because there are a lot of numbers.  I doubt the 2 and done wrestlers or the 1-2 wrestlers get much attention from the D1 schools unless they have had success at fargo in the past. 

Exactly two wrestlers from Indiana qualified for nationals in DIII and from what I can gather two in DII also.  That is not a good number at all.  

that is not good...i was hoping for a third for DII but he placed 5th in a tough 17 team regional...

I will take this one step at a time.  They are recruiting Indiana wrestlers.  Exposure is not a good reason to class the sport.  Can we agree on that?

In-state schools will always build from within, but they still have quite a few starters from other states.  Indianapolis had three starters from other states, Trine has three starters from other states too.  Even Calumet College has two of nine starters from out of state.

Ohio has two DII schools(with two more starting up in the next year) and nine DIII schools within reach for all Indiana wrestlers.  Why aren't they being recruited to wrestle there?  I can tell you why Findlay makes the trip to Indy about once every four years and that is because they want to see more than 16 kids per weight.  They want to see the kids wrestle more than once.  It is a waste of their time and money to come to the Indiana state finals.  Therefore they don't get many Indiana kids when it is a very viable option for many Indiana wrestlers.

They go to fargo because of the LEVEL of competition, not because there are a lot of numbers.  I doubt the 2 and done wrestlers or the 1-2 wrestlers get much attention from the D1 schools unless they have had success at fargo in the past. 

You miss the point again.  Trine or Manchester or Wabash would rather spend one weekend seeing a larger number from all over the state than trying to make it to all the semi-states, etc.  They don't have the budget or manpower to hit the entire state.

D1 coaches would rather spend 4 days in fargo than try to hit the individual states.  They don't have the budget or manpower to do that.  So yes they do go to fargo for the volume of quality kids they can see their.  D2 and D3 coaches would much prefer a one stop shopping for kids that can compete at their level.  They also would be able to contact these kids earlier in their careers.

Bad arguement.  All that tells me is that they got better wrestlers from outside the state.  They are still predominatly from Indiana.  The true facts are in how many D2 programs Indiana has.  

Have you ever thought the reason we only had 2 d2 national qualifiers was because we only have one d2 team in Indiana?  According to my figures there are 46 d2 schools that offer wrestling.  For Indiana to get 2 of 10 to nationals is not that bad.  Pennsylvania I would imagine dominates.  They have 7 d2 schools in their state.  If you just look into things a little further you may find the truth Y2.

I will take this one step at a time.  They are recruiting Indiana wrestlers.  Exposure is not a good reason to class the sport.  Can we agree on that?

Exposure is one of many good reasons to class the sport.

Bad arguement.  All that tells me is that they got better wrestlers from outside the state.  They are still predominatly from Indiana.  The true facts are in how many D2 programs Indiana has. 

Have you ever thought the reason we only had 2 d2 national qualifiers was because we only have one d2 team in Indiana?  According to my figures there are 46 d2 schools that offer wrestling.  For Indiana to get 2 of 10 to nationals is not that bad.  Pennsylvania I would imagine dominates.  They have 7 d2 schools in their state.  If you just look into things a little further you may find the truth Y2.

The point was that Indiana kids are not currently being recruited in the neighboring states because of their lack of exposure.  Not the first time you failed to see the point.  Should be used to it by now.

Maybe its our lack of talent.  We don't produce on the national level with in state teams why would other states want the guys who were not good enough to make an Indiana College team? 

If we can produce studs at the D1 level, logic would dictate that their should be studs at the D2 and D3 levels. 

What are you talking about not being good enough to make an Indiana College team?  The point is that they are not recruited and don't wrestle in college due to lack of exposure.

You miss the point again.  Trine or Manchester or Wabash would rather spend one weekend seeing a larger number from all over the state than trying to make it to all the semi-states, etc.  They don't have the budget or manpower to hit the entire state.

I didnt miss the point. You said big time DI schools.  You said nothing about DII or DIII schools in your reference to Fargo.  Your point was not made.

Maybe its our lack of talent.  We don't produce on the national level with in state teams why would other states want the guys who were not good enough to make an Indiana College team?  

The talent is here, it just doesn't get the exposure that is needed to go beyond the border of Indiana.  See Andy Uhl and even Nick Wiesjahn as examples.  Also Nathan Scherer of Bellmont was at Findlay and the coaching staff was very high on him until an injury ended his career.  As I said, the talent is there to perform at the DII level, yet not very many kids go to that level due to less exposure.

Well the d2 and d3 can look at any wrestler not going d1 in Indiana and they can't put together a roster that can produce on the national level.  I bet if University of Indionapolis started winning national titles that other d2 programs would start trying to cherry pick from our state.  Ohio and Pennsylvania produce that type of talent so yes it makes sense that they would get more recruiters going to their state tournements.  They would go if it were classed or not because those states produce national talent.  

sorry i should have split that up. Didnt mean for it to seem like cathedral was small. What i meant to say is that in every class you will have the catholic schools who will be able to attrach atheletes by saying they will ahve better coaching and exposure etc....

So mater dei in the smaller class and cathedral in the larger class.

You guys are pretty quick with the sarcasm.... guess i cant make a mistake without being chastised for it

Gonna go ahead and butt in on this one. Yes the catholic schools COULD attract student athletes and do they? Who knows we all have our opinion on that one. But i can vouch for MD they do it all with good ol' family tradition. And my thoughts on class wrestling? Pointless. We really do want to know who the best is. But as I was saying in an earlier post it would be nice to see wrestlebacks for our current system. But say your school 1 (the big school) and you have wrestled the best competition all year long and you win team state against the best competition do you want school 2 saying they are worthy since they have won a ''team state'' title against lesser competiton? Wrestling is about being the best PERIOD. to the smaller schools if MD can do it anybody can do it so stop whining about how you do get any recignition if you want it go out there and earn it. Lets not ruin the sport we have basketball to show for what classes have done.

If we can produce studs at the D1 level, logic would dictate that their should be studs at the D2 and D3 levels. 

Back up a minute.  Yes, we have had some current success with studs at the DI level, but that still isnt the rule.  Some of out state studs have been studs in DI: Escobedo, Howe, Humphrey.  But does that mean we are a powerhouse wrestling state that produces stud talent for all college levels.

I think we are growing and getting there, but I do not think we are there yet.

Back up a minute.  Yes, we have had some current success with studs at the DI level, but that still isnt the rule.  Some of out state studs have been studs in DI: Escobedo, Howe, Humphrey.  But does that mean we are a powerhouse wrestling state that produces stud talent for all college levels.

I think we are growing and getting there, but I do not think we are there yet.

I guess we are a go big or go home type of state then, if we don't produce a DI stud, then they are nothing.  If we can produce DI studs, we surely should be able to produce DII and DIII and NAIA studs, right?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.