Welch twins

Jon H

Is it just me or does the competition seem really down this year? Josh boots 4th place? Stein a champion? If only Ben Lampkins wrestled in this time.

Knight, stay retired....

None of your people have touched Stein the last 2 years and maybe 3 (Not sure of the freshman year).

Welch twins seem to have a lot of respect for him as I see them chatting during warm ups a lot of the time.

Stein winning does not mean it was a down year, beat a 2 time state finalist and state champion!

I was very pleased to see Drake Stein win State.  He is a class act and wins/loses graciously.  Tonight's little victory fist pumping while still on the mat is the biggest outburst I have seen from him (good or bad).  Not nearly the display as from some of the other champs, although the ones I saw (up through 171) were pretty reasonable, considering what they had just accomplished.

As for the Welch twins, great run this year.  Both lost to the eventual state champs by just 2 points.  Heck, even Little Welch lost to the state champ in his weight class.  All of the wrestlers who made it to state accomplished something far more failed to match.

Looking forward to seeing how the Welch twins improve for next year.  They keep getting better, which is something we should all strive for.........

congrats to all the welches.  very fine seasons you guys had.  no need to hold your heads down.  and for what its worth, ben lampley was not only a very good wrestler and hard worker, he was also one hell of a good kid! 

keep it goin out there in paradise coach...  you do things out here the right way...

g.e. williams

Bringing it back to Welch/Bennett.  It seems that the ref anticipated the call.  The call still baffles me...how can Tsirtsis not get the escape at the end of finals regulation...yet Bennett does.  Let the boys finish the scramble and see if control is maintained.

Bringing it back to Welch/Bennett.  It seems that the ref anticipated the call.  The call still baffles me...how can Tsirtsis not get the escape at the end of finals regulation...yet Bennett does.  Let the boys finish the scramble and see if control is maintained.

I agree.  And I can't figure out how they changed it from a reversal to an escape in the Welch/Bennett match. Weren't both wrestler's still on the mat, holding on to each other, with about 15 seconds left?  People can debate all day about whether there was a reversal or whether the ref should have let it play out a little longer, but how in the world did the refs come back and say there was an escape?

Chad Welch lost on a questionable call.  He shook hands and walked off the mat like a gentleman.  That is why he will have an excellant chance to win state next year.  I am sure he will not make excuses and he will work harder and not leave it up to a 50/50 call.  Both Welch brothers have improved over the years and always been respectful of coaches, opponents, officials, etc.

Is it just me or does the competition seem really down this year? Josh boots 4th place? Stein a champion? If only Ben Lampkins wrestled in this time.

Boots wrestled smart matches to put himself in a good position. It comes down to where you fall in the brackets and how you wrestle those matches.

As for Stein, that kid is solid, don't try to undercut his victory for whatever reason you think justifies it.

From what I know about Ben through my brother he is a good guy. You're not doing him any favors by associating his name with a comment like that. You're putting down a lot of kids who have worked hard and put in the hours to make it there. Please think about what your post is saying before you post it.

Retired knight you shouldve seen some of the wrestling. Some of them were bringing out the Petti-stall.

Chad and Doug. Great job this weekend. I know it's not how you wanted it to end. But you still have next weekend. End it on a win. You guys did well. Work hard through baseball and come back next winter hubgry. Maybe get a little funkier

Congrats to both of the Welches on their accomplishments this year and this week-end.  It's been fun to watch you both wrestle this season (little Welch too) and can't wait to see what you bring to the table next year.  Good luck to you both and to Castle HS at Team State!!

Welch's Boys - What can we say about you guys?

You have anchored a team that has improved and risen to a level that those before you could only have dreamed of. 

For those of you who have never had the pleasure of meeting these young men, or the Welch family in general I have to say they embody what the sport of Wrestling means to the young people of today.  The work hard without complaint, they will ALWAYS represent themselves, their team, their coaches, and their school, as Student Athletes first and foremost.  There is no arrogance about them.  They are confident but respectful of all.

In short these are "Those GOOD Kids" we keep hearing about.  These young men are the boys you would HOPE your daughter would date.  They have a tremendous ethic both on and off the mat and are young men in every definition of the word.  Mr and Mrs Welch have done a fantastic job of raising not only great wrestlers, but outstanding young men in all three. 

Besides, we all know the toughest one of the Welch kids is their older sister!  Can you imagin growing up with that level of talent for little brothers?????    ;D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.