Something Interesting When it Comes to SS Strength

hammer

I am confident that no one in their right mind will want to come on here and dispute that Merrillville is the strongest of the 4 SS.  I also know that most consider FW, based on recent results to be the weakest.  Have any of you looked through the brackets in recent years and noticed that FW is paired against Merrillville at more weight classes than against each of the other two, most years?  This year, the FW wrestlers are matched against the Merrillville wrestlers in 6 of the 14 weight classes.  Am I the only person who thinks this might have something to do with FW having less semifinalists and placers than NC and Evansville? 

I am confident that no one in their right mind will want to come on here and dispute that Merrillville is the strongest of the 4 SS.  [color=purple          I'd have paid to have my wrestler come through Merrilville than to come through the meatgrinder at Evansville. I think you have to look at individual weight classes and stop saying Merrillville is always the toughest.                                                             

I noticed that too, statistically each SS should be matched with the others 4.66 times, but FW gets put with Merrillville a greater amount of the team almost every year, you can look back at previous years' brackets and see the same thing. It seems to be the best of the North vs the best of the south.

After watching the NC semistate i felt like it was way down in competition this year. Many great wreslters graduated last year and I feel like this year is a down year for the Semi State

I'm gonna be a realist and not a homer but we have a LEGIT chance at champs at 103 Phllips  112 Campbell  119 Nelson    125  Wright    130 Mullins  135 Berryman 152 Bennett (but will have to turn it up) 160 WIllis  171 Duckworth  189 Johnson-Jones  . So if we can get  5 of 10 that will be great and 7 of 10 in finals, don't tell me we were down, yes we did lack depth at some wights like HWT, 215 (weakest by far, just atrocious, worst than heavy, good luck to Buchanan he might be the only one who may place)

After watching the NC semistate i felt like it was way down in competition this year. Many great wreslters graduated last year and I feel like this year is a down year for the Semi State

With the exception of a few weight classes, I think Merriville SS is top heavy this year but not as deep.  Meaning they could have 6,7,8 champs, but not necessarily as many medalists as in years past.

With the exception of a few weight classes, I think Merriville SS is top heavy this year but not as deep.  Meaning they could have 6,7,8 champs, but not necessarily as many medalists as in years past.

I tink you are correct !! You can Blame that on Pendowski movin down to Indy teachin our secrets lol !!!

I tink you are correct !! You can Blame that on Pendowski movin down to Indy teachin our secrets lol !!!

You hit that Rat!! Look at where alot of our top NC SS wrestlers train!!! Keep up the good work Coach P!!

as a wrestler who has competed at Merriville and coached kids there, I would say that place is a meat grinder.  This was my first year at the FW SS, and I was really impressed.  People say that it is a weak SS, but to be honest I think that the top 3 from each weight class could compete at any SS.  The rankings might tell another story, but at this point in the season rankings really don't matter.  This past weekend was the most fun I have ever had at a SS. The colliseum was spread out and not cramped, and was set up like the state finals. for anyone who has never seen the place, it is definately something every Indiana High School wrestling indivdiual should see at least once. Most of all, after the pigtails and the first round, some of the most competitive wrestling had taken place. Thank you to the hosts, the officals, the coaches, and most of all the wrestlers for a exciting day of wrestling.

I'm gonna be a realist and not a homer but we have a LEGIT chance at champs at 103 Phllips   112 Campbell   119 Nelson     125  Wright    130 Mullins   135 Berryman 152 Bennett (but will have to turn it up) 160 WIllis  171 Duckworth   189 Johnson-Jones   . So if we can get  5 of 10 that will be great and 7 of 10 in finals, don't tell me we were down, yes we did lack depth at some wights like HWT, 215 (weakest by far, just atrocious, worst than heavy, good luck to Buchanan he might be the only one who may place)

i agree that the top individuals will do very well, but the depth is just not there this year compared to last year. Look at how many seniors graduated fromthe new castle semi state last year and how that changed the quality of this years class of wrestling. Don't get me wrong I believe we have the potential to put 10 guys in the finals, but where I look to see where the 2nd 3rd and 4th place guys in the SS place in state to make my judgement about the quality of the SS. I counted and I think we had 19 guys place in state that did not win the New Castle Semi State Last year with 2 champs who didn't win the SS and one runner up in state who didn't win the SS.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.