Roncalli vs. New Castle

Indysportsfan

Assuming they both win their 1st round matches, I see the matches 7 - 7.  I know it went down to the wire last year as well.

Roncalli wrestler listed first, record, grade, sectional placing

103: King  19-13 (9th - 3rd) vs didn't place top 6 in sectional //  Bonus pts. for Rebels

112: Davis 22-10 (12th - Champ) vs. Campbell 45-1 (10th - Champ) // Campbell looking for bonus pts, Davis tough kid to turn

119: Keiffer 32-1 (11th - Champ) vs Catron 38-2 (11th - Champ) // Great matchup last year at regionals

125: Keiffer 28-3 (11th - 3rd) vs Black 5-3 (12th - 5th) // Keiffer will need bonus pts. for the Rebels

130: Keiffer 31-4 (10th - Champ) vs Mullins 46-0 (10th - Champ) // Mullins the favorite

135: Goss 17-20 (12th - 4th) vs Rose 39-5 (11th - Champ) // Trojans looking for extra pts.

140: Kane 18-17 (12th - 3rd) vs Fellers 42-4 (12th - Champ) // Trojans once again will look for bonus pts.

145: Zielinski 18-15 (10th - 6th) vs New 29-9 (11th - 2nd) // Trojan favored on paper, but Rebel has a shot for the win

152: Rojas 17-15 (10th - 2nd) vs Bennett 45-2 (12th - Champ) // Trojan favored and looking to score bonus, Rojas much better than record

160: Ardizzone 26-9 (10th - 2nd) vs Wasson 44-1 (12th - Champ) // Records are deceiving here but Trojan slight favorite

171: Bartley 20-8 (12th - 2nd) vs Rittenberry 20-15 (10th - 3rd) // Rebels needing a win from the senior

189: Albertson vs Aucion 3-10 (6th) // Rebels should get some bonus pts

215: Tucker 14-14 (11th - 2nd) vs Mofield 36-11 (11th - 2nd) // Toss-up match, going with Rebel

285: Massengale 23-10 (12th - 2nd) vs Sells 11-10 (12th - 6th) // Rebels needing bonus from the big guy

Close contest, obviously bonus points will decide the outcome.  Trojans very good in the middle of the lineup.

If we remember last year, Roncalli beat NC by I believe nine, with Campbell being out that was a 12 pt. turnaround plus the Roncalli kids wrestled there rears off and Mullins lost to Kiefer (always forget which one, lol) but this year it will just as close with the bonus points being the difference. I know NC wrestles a lot more matches than Roncalli, but I 'm going to say slight advantage to NC in this one. Here's how I see it paning out, though both will obvisously have to win there first round match....

NC

103      6                                        0

112      6                                            6

119      9                                            6

125      15                                          6

130      15                                        10

135    15                                            16

140    15                                          21

145    15                                            24

152    15                                                30

160    15                                              33

171    18                                              33

189    24                                              33

215    24                                                  36

HWT          30                                        36

this will be a very close dual, just remember some of the records for the rebels are very miss leading as they wrestle a very tough schedule.

davis-- (L) mckinley, (2) harvey,kief, todd,plake,boston

bartley-- (L) brandt, (3) phelps, judkins

cant remember all of them but that is some that i can

Starts at 125:

Danny Fagen (Ron) wins 11-1...Rebels up 4-0

Mullins (NC) 7 - 1 over  Justin Keiffer....Rebels up 4-3

Rose (NC) 3-2 over Joe Keiffer ..... Rebels down 4-6

The bump saved Rebels points.  If they stay the same they probably lose by a major at 130 and a pin @ 135.  Score would have been 10-6 or 12-6 instead of 6-4.  Nice coaching move.

Fellers (NC) 11-4 over Kane . . . Rebels down 4-9 (saves a major, could be a huge point)

Logan Z (Ron) with a pin.....Rebels lead 10-9 (an upset yes, a pin...HUGE)

160:

Wasson (NC) wins dec.  over Joe Ardizzone...... Rebels down 10-15

Rebels favored @ 171,189 (big),285 (big), 103 (big), 119.  Trojans favored at 112 (big).  Toss-up at 215

171:

Jake Bartley receives a forfeit at 171 ..... Rebels up 16-15, but down 5-3 in matches. 

COngrats to Ronacalli on another stunning win. I would say  extra effort won them this won. Good luck to all wrestlers in the Indiv. tournament where some that loss today can avenge there loses and get to Conseco. :)

Not really stunning.  New Castle has a lot of pretty records but don't get out and face a lot of great competition throughout the year.  That comes back to bite them when they have to face tough kids like Roncalli has.

It's stunning when they get all the bonus points and Nc gets none, don't try to tell me that extra effort isn't stunning when 2 wrestlers are both average in the case of 189, 145, 215, HWT where neither team is strong and both pretty equal on paper and in person but Roncalli wins all of those weight classes, they did a heck of a job as a TEAM and won very deserving, not stunning in terms of an upset, stunning in terms of that extra hustle point or fininshing someone on their back or getting off their backs.

"Not really stunning.  New Castle has a lot of pretty records but don't get out and face a lot of great competition throughout the year.  That comes back to bite them when they have to face tough kids like Roncalli has."

New Castle does wrestle a good schedule. The kids on the team with good records, have went up against anyone the other teams throw on the mat against them. Those same kids beat the Roncalli kids. New Castle won seven matches in this bout, and gave up a forfeit at 171 pounds. I don't think anything came back to bite them, just Roncalli got more pins in this one.

Connor Mullins wrestled Clark from South Dearborn, who is ranked fourth, and he absolutely dominated him. He did the same to Keiffer (ranked No. 2 at 125 pounds). No reason to knock the NC wrestlers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.