Franklin Community's Daniel Mercer Folkstyle Challenge - 1/24/10

PROPOWER

This year?s Daniel Mercer Folkstyle Challenge will be held January 24th at Franklin Community High School, 2600 Cumberland Drive, Franklin IN 46131.  There are two ways to register and weigh-in for this event.  We will host an on-site weigh in Saturday January 23rd from 4:00 - 6:00 pm.  A club may also fax weigh-ins to this event.  In order for a club to fax their weigh-ins they must contact Chris Lynch to receive the proper forms and instructions for faxing.  You may request forms by e-mailing chris@proindustries.com and please give me the following information: Club Name, Contact Name, and Contact Phone Number. 

Fax weigh-in times are on Saturday January 23rd from 2:00 pm till 5:00 pm.  On site weigh-ins are also January 23rd at FCHS from 4:00-6:00pm. 

We are going to do everything in our power to make this tourney run smooth and get people home in time to watch the Colts / Jets game on Sunday.  We will run mat side paring and will try to start wrestling by 9:00 am.  Our plans are to run 12 surfaces and will need some clubs to help run tables, please let me know if your club is willing to help out.  We also ask that when you arrive at the school Sunday morning - please check the brackets to make sure you wrestlers are in the correct weight class and age group.  If they are not please let us know asap so we can make the corrections and get the tourney started. 

Great tournament over 600 wrestlers started on time out in time for Colts (SUPUR BOWL BOUND COLTS) . My only complaint is the same as most iswa tournaments this year kid officials (some were great others didn't have a clue), and faxed weigh ins we all know some parents and coaches fib (you all know who you are) but other than that great job Franklin.

We came up from Evansville and wrestled in Bloomington on Saturday then went to the Frankln meet. I'm glad we did because it was a great tourny! Started on time and finished early. Only complaint is if your gonna have lawn chair seating put it in the notes on your ISWA page so everyone knows. Man my feet still hurt but I'll be back next year and bring more kids ( and lawn chairs ).

ran great on time got out at great time only complaint is kid refs on the older kids mat and the black and whites on pee-wee mats. i coach only on 1 mat where the kid knew what he was doing the rest had no clue probably won't be back. seen at least 3 arugements where parents was fighting about score the kid refs wasn't awarding and the parents had to be seperated. just cause a high school kid is a good wrestler doesn't mean he will be a good ref! they need black and whites in between each mat watching these kids

I didn't think the officiating was any worse than any other tournament that uses high school age wrestlers, this time of year it's about mat time and when the real tournaments roll around we'll have real officials.

Mat time is great but explain that to the kids wrestling why the get a pin called against them with 3 sec left and one shoulder 2 inches off the mat, I'm sure that the same HS wrestler (ref) would be upset if this was called against him in a Duel. As far as more money the the TRAINED officials dont make that much to offset too much. Great tournament for a great cause. I am not bashing this event just that if you wrestle in surrounding states the "almost" always have real stripes.

At the beginning of the ISWA season, somebody posted the question, "which tournaments this year are people hitting" (or something to that effect)....I said that Franklin was a "for sure" tournament for us because we were pleased last year......Well, we'll be back in April for the Grizzly Iron-Man & next year too!!!  To EVERYONE that helped out this past weekend, GREAT JOB!

What I would like to see, is for "most" of the other clubs hosting tournaments to "take notes". It started ON TIME, and we were out of there by 2!

However, there is one thing I'd like to see different next time.......BUILD ON!!!    LOL......Boy was it crowded!!

See ya in April!!

I too said we were looking forward to going to Franklin. Enough good things cannot be said about the way Franklin does things! The only points I think they should take note of concern table help, who I understand ARE volunteers. With the matside pairing and enourmous amount of people in the fieldhouse changing the bout numbers on the post is essential! You couldn't hear the PA annoucements at all! We kept watching from across the room to our kids mat and he almost missed one match because it wasn't being changed. Also them missing points as awarded by the ref. At least twice we had to call it to their attention, and that was just with my kid. I thought the kid refs did a great job and the younger ones were surprivised by a black and white. All in all, it was a great tournament and a class act by Franklin Wrestling Club! Thanks to everyone involved!

Mat time is great but explain that to the kids wrestling why the get a pin called against them with 3 sec left and one shoulder 2 inches off the mat, I'm sure that the same HS wrestler (ref) would be upset if this was called against him in a Duel. As far as more money the the TRAINED officials dont make that much to offset too much. Great tournament for a great cause. I am not bashing this event just that if you wrestle in surrounding states the "almost" always have real stripes.

Or maybe why a kid with both shoulders down ( being pinned) wasn't called and went to the next period (which happened with my kid ) It's going to happen(even seen it with stripes)  I don't know what else to say except maybe volunteer to ref next time.

maybe if the volunteer help wasnt on their cell phones they could of kept up with the scores and bout numbers! also maybe take a couple of hours the night before and have a clinic for the volunteer refs so they can do a better job! other than that good tourney. just cause your a good wrestler doesnt mean your a good ref!

OK..here we go..First off this is a local tournament with Volunteer Help and Volunteer Officials. There seemed to be more licensed refs than I see at other tournaments and they ran 600 kids through faster than anyone could have expected. I would like to know FCWrestling how many times have you Officiated a match? It is not easy and these kids and the Franklin club did a great job. Yes you will have some bad calls and you will have table help on cell phones, but if you go to the sectionals this weekend you will see the same thing. IT IS A LOCAL TOURNAMENT .HOPE THAT YOUR KID GETS SOME GOOD MATCHES AND YOU GET OUT IN TIME !!!!!!!!!! The matside pairings and faxed in weights makes a 600 kid tournament get done 30-40 percent faster. If you have ever been setting in a gym at 10:00 at night after wrestling was supposed to start at 9:00 you would say WOW..What a great job Franklin does.

Just so you know most of the kids reffing got up at 4:30 the day before, wrestled 5 matches and were back in the gym the next morning volunteering their time. Oh..and they can't enjoy the hospitality room cause they are cutting weight.

By the way...I am not a member of Franklins club and did not have a kid wrestling..but was there to see all the old wrestling buddies and make sure my High Schoool age wrestler helped ref, because he had volunteer refs when he was a kid . I have been to kids tournaments in probably 10 states and this is as good as it gets and it is in your own back yard. All you really needed to say was GREAT JOB FRANKLIN!!!!!

your right tkdwn2 there was a lot of licensed refs but they were on the pee-wee mats when they should of been on the older kids mats where its more competitive. i know refs and volunteer refs are going to miss stuff but i had a number of kids lose because of not getting back points awarded to them when they held kids for 20 or more seconds on there back past a 45 degrees. i had to explain to these kids why they lost when they did everything right. then you question a licensed ref and they didnt want to listen. it was a great ran tourney, good mat time but i had a few upset wrestlers.

I was not able to be there for this tournament but my wife brought my son. This tournament is always very well ran and flows very well. My wife said the same thing about this year. Franklin is a class act.  I have however heard from many people, even people outside of FC that the officiating was not what it could have been. I also do agree that if you have kids officiating, they should be on mats where the peewees are wrestling because they in a lot of cases don`t know whether they should have won or lost. If these officials are on mats where older kids are, they should be supervised until they are a little more proficient at what they are doing. After saying that. I would like to thank them and all the other volunteers for making this tournament the otherwise enjoyable experience.

Knowing how Franklin has ran their tournaments in the past. I know they will learn from some constructive criticism and improve on an allready great tournameent.

See you next time. T-Bones Dad

OK..here we go..First off this is a local tournament with Volunteer Help and Volunteer Officials. There seemed to be more licensed refs than I see at other tournaments and they ran 600 kids through faster than anyone could have expected. I would like to know FCWrestling how many times have you Officiated a match? It is not easy and these kids and the Franklin club did a great job. Yes you will have some bad calls and you will have table help on cell phones, but if you go to the sectionals this weekend you will see the same thing. IT IS A LOCAL TOURNAMENT .HOPE THAT YOUR KID GETS SOME GOOD MATCHES AND YOU GET OUT IN TIME !!!!!!!!!! The matside pairings and faxed in weights makes a 600 kid tournament get done 30-40 percent faster. If you have ever been setting in a gym at 10:00 at night after wrestling was supposed to start at 9:00 you would say WOW..What a great job Franklin does.

Just so you know most of the kids reffing got up at 4:30 the day before, wrestled 5 matches and were back in the gym the next morning volunteering their time. Oh..and they can't enjoy the hospitality room cause they are cutting weight.

By the way...I am not a member of Franklins club and did not have a kid wrestling..but was there to see all the old wrestling buddies and make sure my High Schoool age wrestler helped ref, because he had volunteer refs when he was a kid . I have been to kids tournaments in probably 10 states and this is as good as it gets and it is in your own back yard. All you really needed to say was GREAT JOB FRANKLIN!!!!!

Awesome job Franklin. We took 15 kids. Most got 4 or 5 matches and all were out of there by 2:30! As far as the refs...They did fine. It is much more easy to ref matches agianst to under control wrestlers. But with youth wrestling (especially with the little ones), you have a lot of flipping and flopping. Even an experienced ref could become confused or miss a call. The biggest thing this time of year should be mat time, and we got it. Franklin is 1st class all the way. We will not miss a Franklin hosted tourney. We look forward to the Ironman!

Great tournament! Everything went very well. To those that have problems with the referees and table help, I would tell you to volunteer your time all day to be a ref or run a table. We all know that there will be problems and in the heat of the battle, I too sometimes get frustrated, but in the end it is still just mat time for these kids. Just be happy that we have enough volunteers to run these events. ;D

maybe if the volunteer help wasnt on their cell phones they could of kept up with the scores and bout numbers! also maybe take a couple of hours the night before and have a clinic for the volunteer refs so they can do a better job! other than that good tourney. just cause your a good wrestler doesnt mean your a good ref!

When is your school/club running a tournament?  I am sure you guys will do better job.  About 90% of the complaining at local tournaments comes from people who don't run a tournament.  I hope FCwrestling is in the other 10%.

I hope you guys (perry) took notes, I ain't missing all the superbowl parties for wrestling. LOL

Well you know that FC has not hosted any tournaments. That being said, we do take a lot of kids week in and week out and support your tournamnts. I think that all the money we bring to you tournaments over the years would alow a parent/coach to an opinion.

If anyone is volunteering to help, that is wonderful. The problem is, if they are on the phone, how can they be scoring a match correctly? Actually, it sounds like you might spend a little time on the phone and might just be taking offense...lol

I hope you guys (perry) took notes, I ain't missing all the superbowl parties for wrestling. LOL

It just depends if u get the help or not.   Matside pairing is wonderful but it takes alot of help

And as you know we usually have alot of kids show up for the perry tourney

Well you know that FC has not hosted any tournaments. That being said, we do take a lot of kids week in and week out and support your tournamnts. I think that all the money we bring to you tournaments over the years would alow a parent/coach to an opinion.

If anyone is volunteering to help, that is wonderful. The problem is, if they are on the phone, how can they be scoring a match correctly? Actually, it sounds like you might spend a little time on the phone and might just be taking offense...lol

Ahhh but remember theses were teenagers volunteering at the tables  they can multi task. My kid isn't even wrestling this season and he worked a table the entire day. He left only to use the restroom. He had his phone out............ so he could get the time of day. Maybe some were texting but , like I said they were teen volunteers.

Indeed thats the big guy, but he worked table 3 all day . Not sure who was on table 1, but if I find out I will pass on the complement ;D. The kid tried to get me to work with him and a buddy but I had to jump from 3 to 5 all day and they were always just a few matches apart.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.