Final Team Regional Rankings (Top 8 & Sectional Favorites)

maligned

UPDATED: Now that I've seen all the results necessary to finish the Genius ratings, here are my final opinions about each team regional's top teams.  The "favorites" star (*) doesn't mean those are necessarily my personal pick to win sectional, but they are the team I feel has done the most to deserve the ranking or "favorite" label.

The 8 Team Regionals (star* indicates a sectional favorite):

Portage:

1.Crown Point*

2.Merrillville*

3.Portage*

4.Kankakee Valley

5.Munster*

6.Chesterton

7.Lake Central

8.Calumet

Jimtown:

1.Mishawaka*

2.Penn

3.SB Clay

4.Elkhart Memorial*

5.Jimtown

6.Goshen

7.SB Riley

8.DeKalb*

Also favorite: Warsaw*

Adams Central:

1.Yorktown*

2.Bellmont*

3.Whitko*

4.Carroll

5.Homestead*

6.Garrett

7.FW Dwenger

8.South Adams

Peru:

1.McCutcheon*

2.W. Lafayette Harrison

3.Huntington North*

4.Delphi

5.Lafayette Jeff

6.Peru

7.Marion*

8.Southwood

Also favorite: Logansport*

North Montgomery:

1.Cathedral*

2.Lawrence North

3.Carmel*

4.North Central

5.Westfield

6.Hamilton Southeastern

7.Zionsville

8.Alexandria*

Also favorite: Fountain Central*

Greencastle:

1.Perry Meridian*

2.Bloomington South*

3.Franklin*

4.Center Grove

5.Pike

6.Ben Davis

7.Brownsburg*

8.Avon

Seymour:

1.New Palestine*

2.Roncalli

3.Warren Central

4.New Castle*

5.Jennings County*

6.Columbus North

7.South Dearborn*

8.Beech Grove

Jasper:

1.Evansville Reitz*

2.Evansville Mater Dei

3.Castle*

4.Jeffersonville*

5.Evansville Memorial

6.Heritage Hills

7.Princeton

8.Jasper*

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say Munster and Carroll are lower than they deserve, Munster is a very good team and Carroll may beat Whitko in a head to head, though I was impressed with Whitko. They really hung with Bellmont and the matches were closer than the score indicated.

So in summary:

Dwenger over Adams Central (x2)

Adams Central over Garrett

Garrett over Carroll

Carroll over Dwenger/Homestead

Homestead over South Adams

South Adams over Garrett/Adams Central

Wow.  

So far this would mean Dwenger, Carroll, South Adams all 2-1; Homestead 1-1; Garrett 1-2; and Adams Central 1-3 (in this group of 6).  I'll leave it how it is for now until the rest of the inevitable results come in.  Should be a couple of exciting sectionals!

I would say Munster and Carroll are lower than they deserve, Munster is a very good team and Carroll may beat Whitko in a head to head, though I was impressed with Whitko. They really hung with Bellmont and the matches were closer than the score indicated.

Whitko has at least one victory with no defeats against the massive group of 6 below them (see my post above this).  This is all I can go on.  All the others in the group have losses amongst themselves.

What data do you have about Munster?  They've lost or finished behind everyone above them, and had more success with common opponents or finished ahead in tournaments against everyone listed below them.  I tried to go strictly on results, not my opinion.  Let me know what you've got.  thanks!

At Seymour, I highly doubt that East Central should be considered the favorite for their sectional.  I'd think that South Dearborn would be the favorite.  I'm sure others in the knowing would also agree.

At Seymour, I highly doubt that East Central should be considered the favorite for their sectional.  I'd think that South Dearborn would be the favorite.  I'm sure others in the knowing would also agree.

I knew it was between the two of them most likely, but I struggled to find sufficient results for either of them--until I read your post.  Then, I went back and searched again and found more significant results that suggest you're correct.  It's changed above.

You're right.  I made a mistake.  I was thinking they had finished ahead of them in an invitational.  Thanks for the help!

I doubt I am helping much, just confusing you more.

Garrett will wrestle Dwenger on Saturday

The top teams after Yorktown and Bellmont are:

Garrett

South Adams

Carroll

Homestead

Whitko

Not in any order though.  Dwenger lost to Whitko, but their football players were not in the lineup at that time.

Homestead would have beaten Carroll(on a tiebreaker) if it was not for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. 

I doubt I am helping much, just confusing you more.

Garrett will wrestle Dwenger on Saturday

The top teams after Yorktown and Bellmont are:

Garrett

South Adams

Carroll

Homestead

Whitko

Not in any order though.  Dwenger lost to Whitko, but their football players were not in the lineup at that time.

Homestead would have beaten Carroll(on a tiebreaker) if it was not for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. 

Why are Dwenger and Adams Central not in this list also?  AC beat you guys and Dwenger beat AC. 

Since Whitko hasn't lost to any of these teams yet (though clearly they're not strides ahead), I'll keep them #3 and wait to see what you or other posters add about the rest.

You're not confusing me.  I don't have access to all the results you do.  It's fun to have a list that's correct--not just a list.  :)

I took 2 minutes and plugged the 6 teams I mentioned (minus Whitko) into a spreadsheet and ran my Sagarin/Elo Chess rank system on them just from these 2-4 matches per team.  The computer spits out Carroll, Homestead, South Adams, Dwenger, Garrett, then AC.  Again, I'll wait a little longer, but I'll probably change 4-8 to that order (AC is the odd one out).

New Pal has only beat Roncalli once @ the Perry triple dual and Roncalli was missing there 103 and 112. Would have made for a much better dual meet.

You are correct 12oz curls, not sure what I was thinking.  NP has only beat Roncalli once.  They are very close, but head to head I would half to give the edge to NP.  The meet where Roncalli had three people missing, I believe you still won the 103 and 112 matches and the final was 40-23.  Davis would definately mean extra points at 112 and I believe that your 103 majored the NPs 103 last weekend, but I am not sure where Roncalli could make up the difference.  Like watching the Rebels wrestle, they always show great sportsmanship and all wrestle hard.

I didn't realize McCutcheon had beaten Delphi. 

I just found another result in the "jumbled mess" division: Dwenger over Leo.  This moves South Adams ahead of Leo and Dwenger ahead of Homestead.  Don't ask why this has this effect; it just does. These teams all have wins and losses against each other.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.