The phrase "Tough Wrestler"

BlueBolt

It seems like I see a dozen of so posts here that refer to "Tough Wrestlers" from this school or that. 

What is the gerenal concensus on what makes a wrestler "tough"? 

Honestly any kid who guts out the season and shows up each day and gives it his all is "tough"  in my book.. They could be one of those kids walking the halls like they are someone to be contended with.  But wrestlers are in the room putting it into action, not just posing by the lockers.

So folks, what is YOUR definition of a "Tough Wrestler"?  Is it all about wins and losses?  Is it about style?  Is it about effort?  Lets hear it!

It seems like I see a dozen of so posts here that refer to "Tough Wrestlers" from this school or that.  

What is the gerenal concensus on what makes a wrestler "tough"?  

Honestly any kid who guts out the season and shows up each day and gives it his all is "tough"  in my book.. They could be one of those kids walking the halls like they are someone to be contended with.   But wrestlers are in the room putting it into action, not just posing by the lockers.

So folks, what is YOUR definition of a "Tough Wrestler"?  Is it all about wins and losses?  Is it about style?  Is it about effort?  Lets hear it!

y2cj is

First I?d like to say this is a great topic!  The one thing I was always told was this? Nobody ever said Wrestling was easy, Nobody ever said you wouldn?t feel any pain, Nobody ever said that there are times you wouldn?t get hungry.  You are not the first wrestler in the history of the sport to suffer, and you will not be the last one to suffer.  Be proud of the fact that you suffer, brag about how much you suffer?.but when you complain about something that everyone else is going through in the room it just brings the team down.

If Wrestling was easy, we?d never have an issue with numbers, everyone would be doing it.

Those kids, who go through practice everyday, day in and day out, those kids that suffer pain, stride for perfection, and need carried out of the room at the end of the night they are so exhausted are the tough kids.  The kids that stay after practice, bust it year around and put up with all the negativity they get from people that just don?t understand wrestling are the tough kids.

Those kids that endure a sport where almost everything about it sucks, until you step on that mat?.

When your foot sinks softly into that mat as you walk towards the center to shake hands?. There is no greater feeling in the world and all of the pain and suffering quickly goes away for that brief moment of silence right before the whistle blows. 

Now this is one heck of a great post sir!

First I?d like to say this is a great topic!  The one thing I was always told was this? Nobody ever said Wrestling was easy, Nobody ever said you wouldn?t feel any pain, Nobody ever said that there are times you wouldn?t get hungry.  You are not the first wrestler in the history of the sport to suffer, and you will not be the last one to suffer.  Be proud of the fact that you suffer, brag about how much you suffer?.but when you complain about something that everyone else is going through in the room it just brings the team down.

If Wrestling was easy, we?d never have an issue with numbers, everyone would be doing it.

Those kids, who go through practice everyday, day in and day out, those kids that suffer pain, stride for perfection, and need carried out of the room at the end of the night they are so exhausted are the tough kids.  The kids that stay after practice, bust it year around and put up with all the negativity they get from people that just don?t understand wrestling are the tough kids.

Those kids that endure a sport where almost everything about it sucks, until you step on that mat?.

When your foot sinks softly into that mat as you walk towards the center to shake hands?. There is no greater feeling in the world and all of the pain and suffering quickly goes away for that brief moment of silence right before the whistle blows.   

Now this is one heck of a great post sir!

I agree! It hit the nail directly on the head. At the end, I could almost smell the mats...

It's a weird and crazy sport and a lot of people just don't understand, but I do. I'm so happy wrestling season started!

Very Nice! One I will be handing out and reading to my wrestlers. I will give you all the credit. Well said!

and then some overcome all that and more .......

A "tough wrestler":  a young man who is diagnosed his sophomore year with Neurogenic Syncopy; blood pressure drops very low, very quickly with sudden position changes and dehydration.  blood pressure goes so low that he passes out.  All that triggers a headache at the level of a migraine that lasts days.  Young man is told there is no way his body can tolerate wrestling and he says to the doctor "not wrestling is not a possibility.  I set a goal to be a state qualifier and I will be there by my senior year so what do I need to do to make sure that happens?"  His instructions included eating a high salt diet and staying "overhydrated" in order to keep his blood pressure higher so that when it drops (nothing stops it from dropping) it wouldn't fall so low that he passed out.  So besides all the things mentioned before that a "tough wrestler" does this young man beefed up to wrestle 285 so  fluid weight gain wouldn't matter on the scale.  He learned to push beyond feeling like sh** when he passed out and he wrestled with a severe headache everyday for the next two years.  His sacrafices paid off and this "tough wrestler"  walked the parade of champions in February 2009.  Very few people knew what it had really taken for him to make that walk.  He never wanted to be treated any different or have any different expectations set for him.    That ladies and gentlemen is one "tough wrestler"

A "tough wrestler":  a young man who is diagnosed his sophomore year with Neurogenic Syncopy; blood pressure drops very low, very quickly with sudden position changes and dehydration.  blood pressure goes so low that he passes out.  All that triggers a headache at the level of a migraine that lasts days.  Young man is told there is no way his body can tolerate wrestling and he says to the doctor "not wrestling is not a possibility.  I set a goal to be a state qualifier and I will be there by my senior year so what do I need to do to make sure that happens?"  His instructions included eating a high salt diet and staying "overhydrated" in order to keep his blood pressure higher so that when it drops (nothing stops it from dropping) it wouldn't fall so low that he passed out.  So besides all the things mentioned before that a "tough wrestler" does this young man beefed up to wrestle 285 so  fluid weight gain wouldn't matter on the scale.  He learned to push beyond feeling like sh** when he passed out and he wrestled with a severe headache everyday for the next two years.  His sacrafices paid off and this "tough wrestler"  walked the parade of champions in February 2009.  Very few people knew what it had really taken for him to make that walk.  He never wanted to be treated any different or have any different expectations set for him.    That ladies and gentlemen is one "tough wrestler"

Agreed!  Our sport is full of unknown stories of personal strength and mental toughness.  Much respect to this young man.

I would have to agree, It takes alot of heart to go out and battle after some of the head or other injury's/illnesses. Sounds like someone I know!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.