IHSAA High School Women's Wrestling ?? Voting Added 11/22!!

strub1

I have just added the poll to the High School Section, as well as the Women's.  

I have posted a poll in the Women's Wrestling section for everyone to post their opinion.

Remember this poll is just for sanctioning Women's Wrestling in the IHSAA for High School Women Only division and State Championships.

Darren Strub

ISWA Women's Director

"If you build it, they will come..."

With 150 girls high school wrestling teams in Texas... its hard to argue that we couldn't make it work here.  (150 girls teams reported in 2003 - 2004.  Not sure what it is now.)

I am sure that we would have a lot more interest in wrestling by the girls, if they didn't have to wrestle with those sweaty boys.  Of course, that's tongue in cheek... but I do believe there is a certain feeling of intimidation a girl feels being the only female on an all male team. 

I would LOVE to see women's wrestling grow to the point where we could have all girls teams, but I don't think it will grow to that point UNTIL we have all girls teams.  (Does that make sense?)

I also agree that there should still be an opportunity to wrestle on the boys teams if a girls team does not exist at their school.

The only way women's wrestling will ever take off in Indiana is when some people decide  to treat it like they did soccer before it became an IHSAA Sport.  There will have to be a fairly good percentage of schools with women's wrestling before it will be recognized.  Right now bowling is closer to being an IHSAA sport than women's wrestling.

I personally am all infavor of female wrestling.  There is no reason woman shouldn't have their own teams.  I personally coach a few tiny young ladies at our club and feel in the future they will be very good.  Besides if women get their own teams maybe it would generate enough interest that the NCAA would put title9 on the back burner and wrestling will nce again be put into some of the schools where it was taken out.

I agree the more women's wrestling there is the better everyone will be.  There will be women's teams, then men would not have the issue of needing to wrestle a women.  As the previous post stated, the more women's programs there are, especially if the NCAA sanctions womens wrestling, the more programs for the men will be available. 

As for bowling having a better chance than women's wrestling, I really don't see any moral issue with a man bowling against a women.  I don't see any coaches, parents, or participants ever having a strange feeling when that would occur.  I have heard numerous reason why men won't wrestle boys and vice versa.  If there is never a sanctioned division just for women, how will we ever know how many women want to wrestle??  Just look at the growth in the states that have women's wrestling!

Darren Strub

ISWA Women's Director

As for bowling having a better chance than women's wrestling, I really don't see any moral issue with a man bowling against a women.  I don't see any coaches, parents, or participants ever having a strange feeling when that would occur.  I have heard numerous reason why men won't wrestle boys and vice versa.  If there is never a sanctioned division just for women, how will we ever know how many women want to wrestle??  Just look at the growth in the states that have women's wrestling!

Darren Strub

ISWA Women's Director

The mention of Bowling was not a comparison between bowling and Women's Wrestling as sporting events.  It was a comparison as to where the two sports are in terms of being recognized by the IHSAA.  I should have mentioned Rugby, LaCrosse, Men's Volleyball, and Ice Hockey which are all ahead of Women's Wrestling in the process of being recognized by the IHSAA.  It might be good if you would familiarize yourself with the IHSAA policies concerning getting a new sport added to their menu.  That is where I was coming from.  I do not feel like it is the schools who need to be convinced that there should be women's wrestling....it is the girls themselves.  I have shared a plan with the last couple of Women's Directors that I think might eventually lead to a stronger program for the girls, but I think they felt that it was not of a grand enough scope.  I got the impression that they wanted the whole pie right now, and dismissed any less grand idea.  I would be glad to discuss my ideas with you.

I am open to any ideas anyone would have to progress women's wrestling.  I am all for slow growth and I think having it all now would backfire, because the participation would take some time to grow.  Time I don't think anyone would give it.  That being said, something as far as women competing against one another would be the first step to take.  Having a handful of sanctioned exhibitions would do wonders.  Unlike team sports, as you mentioned that are closer on the IHSAA radar, having women's wrestling slowly progress would not need any dramatic overhaul to the schedule.  If women knew there were 4 or more women on the men's teams and they would be wrestling each other and competing against women, not men, would increase the numbers.  The practices, events, coaches, and most everything would be the same. 

I have never had anyone mention anything for growth of HS wrestling to me.  I know it will be slow, but the status quo will not bring it any closer.  I think the notion of 'build it and they will come' is only half correct here.  I feel that it is already built, but there needs to be a door of opportunity added to what is already in place. 

Thanks!!

Darren Strub

ISWA Women's Director

iswawmnsdirector@aol.com

Not to vere too far off course but is there some kind of rule in regards to private schools not being allowed to wrestle boys against girls? I've heard of one school and witnessed a second school this weekend that was not permitted to do that.

There is no general rule that private schools are not allowed to wrestle boys against girls. I have seen boys from Providence, Evansville Mater Dei, and Evansville Memorial wrestle against a girl on the team I was coaching. I have also had some public schools refuse to wrestle girls.

Not to vere too far off course but is there some kind of rule in regards to private schools not being allowed to wrestle boys against girls? I've heard of one school and witnessed a second school this weekend that was not permitted to do that.

I'd say its a choice that falls on the school, coach, wrestler, and/or parent.  As mentioned above though I think could see increase in interest for girls wrestling if they also given the choice to only practice and wrestle other girls.  It could easily be the gender issue works both ways as the school, coach, wrestlers, and parents are concerned.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.