Long Time Listener, First Time Caller

Nick Hobbs

Hey everybody,

Long time listener first time caller,  but I always like to get on from time to time to check out 'the boards.'

I am running the Chicago Marathon in a little more than 2 weeks to raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. I thought i would submit this and anyone in the wrestling family who could help a little bit might be willing to do so.

Simply Click the link and you can just use your debit card in a couple easy steps. Even $10 helps, so please help out if you can; so that we can grant a wish this year!!

Link Below:

http://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=300513&lis=1&kntae300513=C31618FDA84F4766BEFD4C605BFA1C9A&supId=255183607

Thank You Very Much, and I look forward to contributing to the conversations now,

~Nick Hobbs

HA. I'd very much appreciate that, we are trying to raise as much as we can, we plan on doing an Iron Man some time next year. I have to admit that the training for this over the past 3 months has been an eye opener. 26.2 Miles is no joke.

*Gibson couldn't beat me in half marathon with a 21km head start!

Thanks again guys,

~Nick Hobbs

I wish you the best with your cause.  As you said, 26.2 is no joke!

A little off topic...I hope you don't mind.  I always enjoyed watching you and your unorthodox style in high school.  I've just always had one question about your finals match.  I'm asking this with all sincerity as a casual observer and fan of the sport: what was your and the BG staff's thought process with choosing top when you had the choice?  As amazing as you were on top, I still thought it was a big risk that could go either way.  I know it's a long time ago, and if you don't feel compelled to give any insight, no problem...you don't know me from Adam.  Any thoughts?

I wish you the best with your cause.  As you said, 26.2 is no joke!

A little off topic...I hope you don't mind.  I always enjoyed watching you and your unorthodox style in high school.  I've just always had one question about your finals match.  I'm asking this with all sincerity as a casual observer and fan of the sport: what was your and the BG staff's thought process with choosing top when you had the choice?  As amazing as you were on top, I still thought it was a big risk that could go either way.  I know it's a long time ago, and if you don't feel compelled to give any insight, no problem...you don't know me from Adam.  Any thoughts?

He won his semifinal match by turning maldonado.  Not really that hard to figure out.  And Blake was very good at riding people out also.

Bad timing.  My girlfriend's mother was diagnosed with breast cancer last year.  So, this weekend I will be part of team, "save second base", in Chicago's walk 4 hope.  I have to keep my donations going in that direction until we meet our goal.

Ill tell you if you donate to the make-a-wish foundation through my link!

:)  You're a quality fundraiser.

The truth is (no joke), I'm writing from an impoverished area of a large city in eastern Africa.  My wife and I are sustained financially in our work in large part by the contributions of family and friends.  We literally have every penny budgeted so that we can manage a little supporting of friends in other parts of the world that are doing similar work to us. 

I guess my curiosity will have to linger.  Of course I know all of what 'lefhanded headlock' commented above is true...I'm always just curious to hear from the horse's mouth how people approached matches. 

Enjoy the Chicago Marathon...my wife ran it in 2003.  It's a great event.  And I genuinely appreciate the work you're doing for children.  I hope you meet your goals!

Alright Maligned, you twisted my arm!

The truth is, I never really had a decision made going into a match, it usually depended on the match situation, the score, etc.

In this particular match, I had the only takedown so we felt by choosing top, if he did get an escape, I was still in good shape back on our feet. Also, I had traditionally been able to score points from top in big matches.

As far as cutting him later in the match, he had already been awarded 2 escapes, and we were concerned that my opponent would strategically wait until a few seconds left in the match and attempt a last second escape (score was 2-2.) After going out of bounds I looked to the corner and the coaches asked if I thought I could take him down again. I shook my head yes and cut him. Apparently I could not!

It?s just one of those situations where if it works out you look brilliant, and if it doesn?t it?s really questionable. I would liken it to 4th down in the 4th quarter and you?re down by 3 points. We went for the winning touchdown instead of the tying field goal.

Maligned, we are all grateful for your work, and anyone else that is doing good for the world. If any of you are able to donate please use the link (you do not have to be a member of this board), if not I understand and hope you?ll keep me in mind next year.

http://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=300513&lis=1&kntae300513=C31618FDA84F4766BEFD4C605BFA1C9A&supId=255183607

AWood - Good luck to your girlfriend's mother, and if you have any fundraising stuff please post it in the future.

Thanks,

~Nick Hobbs

Nick,

I always enjoyed watching you wrestle.  You turned several guys I was not sure if you could turn.  It was impressive.  I just felt in that Finals match you simply went with the old axiom, "dance with the one that brung you."  You got there being very good, and very stubborn, on your feet, and incredible on top.  It may not have paid off in that one, but I sure have alot of respect for your career.  I do not think 26.2 will be a problem for you.  I donated $10, and I hope everyone on here will chip in for this good cause.

Coach Peck

New Castle

Wow, that was an even more in-depth answer than I would have hoped for.  Thanks for responding. 

And I get the football comparison.  I often wonder why more coaches with a great offense don't go for 2 instead of a tying extra point in regulation of a game.  If you have a play or two that can get you in the end zone at least 50% of the time, your odds of winning are at least as good as if you go to overtime.  What does it matter if you lose the 50/50 proposition in regulation or overtime?  The same could be said of some tied wrestling matches.  If you think you have at least as good of a chance to take a kid down in the last minute of regulation as you do in overtime, I get why you might cut him and take a shot at it.  What does it matter if you lose 3-2 in regulation or lose later in overtime if the odds of both results are about the same?

Anyway, thanks again for the very insightful post.

Thank you guys, and Rex for the donation. It's always nice when the donations are in memory or honor of someone. I very much appreciate the donations. Also, Spring Hill Elementry has been very helpful in thier donations, so thank you to all who can help!

He won his semifinal match by turning maldonado.  Not really that hard to figure out.  And Blake was very good at riding people out also.

Correct me if im wrong, but i seem to remember a locked hands call against maldonado being a big deciding factor in that match  :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.